Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
1963 safari where is the inverter and battery

I am new to the threads, we bought a 63 safari and have gutted it, the dead battery was in the battery box with nothing hooked up to it, all the electrical works when the trailer is plugged in. My question is where is the inverter and does that hook up to the battery for boondocking? Right now no appliances are installed and there was no fridge. We will not be putting in a furnace or ac so looks like the water heater and fridge can run off lp and battery?? How does all this wiring work and is the inverter under the floor? The floor is all rotted so that's coming out too.
Theburrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
In My 65 Its in the rear of the camper right next to the Water Heater. It will have a connection back to the breaker box and some large leads that go to the Battery. Its hard to miss if it's the original Univolt, it will be about 12 Inches square and weigh about 400lbs ( just kidding, but it is pretty heavy). The purpose of the converter is to covert the 120v to 12 volts to run your camper and charge the battery. If it is the original Univolt, toss it immediately and make the investment in a new one. The new ones are much more battery friendly and make much less noise. If you browse my pics, you can see where mine is placed.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1095068...89912384373090
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
All I can see is where the plug in for power comes in, it goes to a little junction box, 2x3 wall plate, on opposite side of trailer (curb side) is the breaker box, can't tell where it leads, goes under the floor, the battery was up the galley on the (street side). The dead battery had the lines cut so had to tell where the connectors are. Would the original inverter be under the floor?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theburrs View Post
All I can see is where the plug in for power comes in, it goes to a little junction box, 2x3 wall plate, on opposite side of trailer (curb side) is the breaker box, can't tell where it leads, goes under the floor, the battery was up the galley on the (street side). The dead battery had the lines cut so had to tell where the connectors are. Would the original inverter be under the floor?
I very seriously doubt it. That would seem to be a huge fire hazzard. Are you sure someone has not already removed it ?
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
May have been from the PO, would the breaker be attached to it? I will have to follow the lines from there? And will have to look close at the wires where the battery was located.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The 1963 had no CONverter, and no Airstream had an INverter installed until the 2000's.
If you want one, you will have to install one yourself. A good place to install one would be somewhere near the battery box and a 120 volt outlet. I'd put at least a couple of fuses in the system, say between the converter and the battery, and at least one more between the converter and the main lead for all the 12 volt stuff.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
Overlander63, thank you. That makes sense now. So what am I accomplishing off the inverter. What all will I be able to run off the inverter ?? Sorry I am new to this, should I just get a generator or can I boondock off two batteries, I am in the gutting stage, but want to run enough wire and have it built right, more then likely I will always be at hookups, but wanna build the trailer right.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you had an inverter you could run some 120V things from your 12V battery.

But nothing heavy, and nothing for long.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Your '63 did not come with a converter. The battery was charged by the car generator / alternator. Your trailer has two bulbs in every light fixture. One 12 volt DC and one 110 volt AC. Newer tailers basically have 12 volt lights and a converter to run off of 110 AC. The 12 volt items are basically connected direct to the battery (with appropriate inline fuses).

You can install a Charge Wizard converter which will charge your battery from 110 volt AC, and power DC power hogs like new furnaces that only have 12 volt fans.

We have a '63 with only one battery & a Charge Wizard, and can do fine for 24 hours running the furnace, or three days just using lights when boondocking.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theburrs View Post
Overlander63, thank you. That makes sense now. So what am I accomplishing off the inverter. What all will I be able to run off the inverter ?? Sorry I am new to this, should I just get a generator or can I boondock off two batteries, I am in the gutting stage, but want to run enough wire and have it built right, more then likely I will always be at hookups, but wanna build the trailer right.

Theburrs
Our "first" was also a 63 Safari.

We went 15 Season's with just single deep cycle battery and a Yamaha 1000w genset. It had two separate systems 120 and 12, two bulbs in every fixture etc.
Now understand... this was well before finding out about the forums, so there was no pressure to up-grade anything. Just enoyed the Hell out of it.

Ahh...to be young and ignorant again.

Oh yeah... we dock-a-lot.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAMN20IN20THE20ADIRONDACKS201.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	140868  

Tags