Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I went to the Melitta web site and was able to order their thermal stainless 8 cup pour over coffee maker and a supply of the #4 cone filters. This will be what I was looking for to make morning Joe in the trailer.

We used Starbucks instant on the first trip by just boiling water (even I can manage to do this). It was a nervous system jolt and not my preferred taste.

We have a 120Vac coffee grinder we can now take with us and make fresh coffee. It only runs about 15 seconds to make 12 6oz cups of ground coffee to put into the unit we have at home. The gas stove can boil the water and the thermal coffee pot can keep it warm. Yeah!

Thanks for the information!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Just my 2cents:
Currently using a French press and really enjoy the coffee it makes. However clean up after is a bit of a messy chore. (Even did a you-tube search for tips on cleaning the darn thing.)
I’m thinking we may have to try the Melitta. It looks like all the grounds are contained in the filter for easy disposal and clean up.
It's all about the easy when out camping.
Since this is drip type coffee, how do you grind the beans? We use course ground in the French press.
LivLoveLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
For those who aren't happy with perked coffee, I offer the recipe my Danish grandmother always used. It was a staple of coffee making when we tent-camped (no electricity).

Put two ingredients in the coffee basket (in addition to the coffee): a pinch of salt, and half an eggshell. Works like a charm!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
We have an old 120Vac (150 watts) Hamilton Beach Custom Grind model 80354 which can still be found at Amazon. It has a timer slider to select between 4 and 15 cups at three settings: Coarse, Medium and Fine. It just runs longer for more pulverization.

We have a 600 watt inverter in our current trailer and will have the 1,000 watt inverter option in the new trailer. The 15 seconds or so twice in the morning will not deplete the batteries. I will turn the inverter on to run the coffee grinder and then turn it off as we do not use 120Vac all the time. Leaving the inverter powered on does draw power from the batteries.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivLoveLaugh View Post
Just my 2cents:
Currently using a French press and really enjoy the coffee it makes. However clean up after is a bit of a messy chore. (Even did a you-tube search for tips on cleaning the darn thing.)
I’m thinking we may have to try the Melitta. It looks like all the grounds are contained in the filter for easy disposal and clean up.
It's all about the easy when out camping.
Since this is drip type coffee, how do you grind the beans? We use course ground in the French press.
We wipe out the grounds in the container with a paper towel and rinse with hot water into a bowl. . The strainer is shaken in this bowl and the grounds filtered with another paper towel which is thrown away. Whats messy about that?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Coffee is like our TV, we all have our favorites. Being an indecisive individual, I carry an espresso machine, a drip machine and a french press. I guess i just can"t live without my coffee.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We have an old 120Vac (150 watts) Hamilton Beach Custom Grind model 80354 which can still be found at Amazon. It has a timer slider to select between 4 and 15 cups at three settings: Coarse, Medium and Fine. It just runs longer for more pulverization.

We have a 600 watt inverter in our current trailer and will have the 1,000 watt inverter option in the new trailer. The 15 seconds or so twice in the morning will not deplete the batteries. I will turn the inverter on to run the coffee grinder and then turn it off as we do not use 120Vac all the time. Leaving the inverter powered on does draw power from the batteries.
Switz, my cuisineart 12 cup electric draws 970 watts and makes the 1500 watt inverter a bit grumpy when we use it. Only takes about 7 mins and it is now one of the necessities of life. Sure beats messing about with the French Press. You may wish to revisit the 1000 watt inverter. My inverter is a Samlex, made off shore. Perhaps the US made inverters are not so quick to complain. Jim
Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Coffee is like our TV, we all have our favorites. Being an indecisive individual, I carry an espresso machine, a drip machine and a french press. I guess i just can"t live without my coffee.
Now your talking coffee.. espresso is a must, or it's a bust. The TV goes before the espresso machine goes in my tug...
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Speaking of coffee in different locations, ever notice the puzzled looks when you ask for a cup of coffee in Arizona. "Well, I can make you one if you really want it."

doug k
Hey, you get that look in a lot of places...
cdmagda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
In reality, we ordered the 1,000 watt inverter to get some parts in place on the new 27FB Classic. We plan to install a 300 to 400 watt solar system and a 2,000+ watt inverter with 4 Lifeline GSM batteries on/in the new trailer when it gets here in February 2014. We will boil the water in a tea kettle on the propane stove top and pour it on the grounds in the Melitta brown paper filters.

We have both the newer ten cup and older 12 cup Cuisinart coffee machines in different locations and like them a lot. I saw no need to use that much power out of the batteries. The old 12 cup unit takes about ten minutes to make the coffee and the carafe heater stays on a long time. On the 10 cup unit, it heats a metal plate in the bottom of the carafe and shuts off after brewing. Both units draw power all the time to run their clocks.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
12V Coffee

I purchased the Melitta 10 Cup with Thermos. I do know how to boil water.
Learned that Ohio State University.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
For those who aren't happy with perked coffee, I offer the recipe my Danish grandmother always used. It was a staple of coffee making when we tent-camped (no electricity).

Put two ingredients in the coffee basket (in addition to the coffee): a pinch of salt, and half an eggshell. Works like a charm!
I get the salt, but the egg shell? Humm... Pulls out some of the bitterness? Lowers the PH??
Old 07-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfarch View Post
I purchased the Melitta 10 Cup with Thermos. I do know how to boil water.
Learned that Ohio State University.
Melitta drip likes a fine grind coffee. Before a trip, we usually grind enough fresh whole beans to get us through, either with our home grinder, or at the grocery store with the commercial dial-a-grind they have in the coffee aisle.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #34
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
I get the salt, but the egg shell? Humm... Pulls out some of the bitterness? Lowers the PH??
Give it a try, see what you think.

Tags
12v