Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1952 21' Flying Cloud
New Orleans , Louisiana
120v Only trailer. How to boondock?

I have a 1952 Flying Cloud that has no 12v systems at all. Lights, fridge, water heater are all 120v. Somewhere along the line a PO added a battery up front and a single cigarette style 12v outlet. For what little boondocking we've done in this trailer (i've had the trailer less than a year) we simply plug a 300w inverter into the cigarette lighter outlet and plug in a floor lamp for light/TV/ etc. It works, but it less than ideal. I've been wondering if I should have a larger more permanent inverter installed and maybe change my single 12v battery to a couple of golf cart batteries so I'd have a bit more battery life.

Any thoughts/opinions on why I should or shouldn't do this?

I'm going to Telluride next month for the bluegrass festival so we'll be boondocking for nearly a week. would love to be able to use the interior trailer lights instead of packing a floor lamp. I know an inverter "wastes" some power, but this seems like an easier/cheaper solve than trying to rewire the entire trailer for 12v.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.

tonynorman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I think you're on the right track with a larger permanent inverter and extra battery capacity. I'd go through the unit and replace all the 120 volt light bulbs with compact fluorescents. 7 watts each goes a long way. Water heater is out of the question on inverter, you'll need generator. You may be able to power small fridge for a couple hours on batteries (depending on current draw), and you could power it several more on generator when recharging batteries. Maybe that would be enough to keep it cold throughout the day.

tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

A larger wattage inverter will run down your single battery pretty quickly. With no way to recharge, you'll be out of business in no time.

The best answer is a small inverter generator like the Honda 1000. It will run your 110 volt stuff and charge your battery. They are light weight and very quiet.

By the time you buy a more powerful inverter and additional batteries, you will be spending quite a bit of money for not much return.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote