Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
12 volt problems

The fans, whether Fantastic Fans, furnace fan, etc as well as the lights in my bathroom dim on occasion, for maybe 7 or 8 seconds. I replaced an old battery, and my converter is an Intellipower that I put in around 2005. Is my converter bad/going bad or is something else wrong? I keep my Airstream at an Airstream Park when not travelling and use it alot there, when I pulled it a few hundred miles earlier in the summer I didn't notice the dimming for quite a while, which makes me suspect the converter...any ideas??
SMPLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Check the connections at the battery and at the Converter. Also check the common/ground connection to the trailer chassis. There may be a fuse on the common/ ground between the negative battery lead and the chassis. If it is a glass fuse, it could be lose in the holder.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks for the advice. Where does the ground wire connect to the chassis? Its a 34 ft 1991 Anniversary Classic...
Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Are you sure it's not in bulk mode? Mine will jack up the voltage for a minute or so, then let it drop for a bit while it measures the voltage of the battery, then kick the voltage back up if it needs to. It's a little unnerving but basically normal. If it's doing it continuously all day, every day, then I'd suspect something like a bad battery.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
The fans slow down for a period, so would that be indicative of the bulk mode? Interval frequency varies.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamFan View Post
The fans slow down for a period, so would that be indicative of the bulk mode? Interval frequency varies.
It might be. Ours cycles like I described. This happens most often when I restart the converter after being a show off by turning off the converter during the day and letting the solar system recharge the batteries, but it doesn't fully recharge them either due to a lack of sun or we're using more battery power than the panels are producing. When I turn it back on that night, the lights glow brightly and the fans speed up, then they dim/slow for a moment, then back up, etc. The cycle continues for some time, depending on how low the batteries are.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt