Old 07-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Unless you are moving your batteries inside or plan on spending some of your time upside down, there is no need to go to the AGM's.

George

That is generally true, AGMs are still just lead acid batteries but with the electrolyte suspended in a gelatinous medium.

I have a stack of failed AGMs.... At twice the cost of flooded cells, I am not a fan.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
That is generally true, AGMs are still just lead acid batteries but with the electrolyte suspended in a gelatinous medium.
-- snip --.
From a google search - In AGM batteries (also called starved electrolyte), there is a thin ultra-fine fiberglass mat sandwiched between the plates that are saturated with battery acid to about 95% of what they can hold. This mat is then packed in between the plates and slightly compressed, then welded/soldered in place. Because the plates and mats are packed fairly tight, they are almost immune to vibration.

Not exactly a gel cell. There is also carbon foam AGM tech.

But a dead AGM is an expensive mistake. Pat

Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #17
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
12 Volt or 6 Vollt Batteries or AGM's

I doubt that vibration kills many Airstream batteries.

In MY experience AGMs are just not worth the extra expense. When I pay a premium price for a product there is a sting when it does not meet expectation as it becomes totally worthless as fast or faster than a different product that costs half as much.

I can respect others who have had better experience with these things, but as for me, at this point and time I am done with these things.

From a financial point of view my experience does not support my purchase of AGM batteries.

On a different level, I see them as a "gadgetry thing" but their "gadget coolness is not a real or practical justification for their additional cost.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
As said prior, AGM sealed tech allows movement of the battery bank into the coach. That has value because of the weight distribution improvement. As a gadget, that kind of smacks of shiny object fetish and no one would buy into such a concept. Pat
Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
I wasn't able to change to Flooded batteries with some modifications to the classic. The classic has the battery compartments built into the front of the trailer and it is very limiting. I replaced the factory Lifeline batteries with another set after 9 years. I wanted to go flooded, but it is not that easy in the classic. I replaced the factory solar charger with Prostar 30 and unplugged the charger/converter. This way I can just use solar for the the 12 volts. I also set the Prostar controller to flooded instead of Dry. Lifeline now recommends the equalization of their batteries so this way it acts as a 4 stage charger.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #20
planning for full time...

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
Going to the Interstate store I receive 2 new 12v free which was good.
If you are in fact getting free replacements for your 12v batteries, I would take them and use the money you would have spent to buy a 2000w generator.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
So much good stuff from all, at this point I would like to see some of these in operation and get a full understanding of the setup, I am a hands on person.

Point well taking on what the AS factory does not use quality equipment in all the AS base on the price we pay to be a AS owner. AS being the flagship of TT should step up a little and make these little changes going forward and offer to current owner a discount to make upgrades to their AS.

It's call good business for both sides to insured that AS is the top TT to buy with the best quality TT, as a retired owner of a business you have to look at your bottom line to stay in business and take care of your employees and to keep you customers happy. There are time you every business must take a hard look at what the real goal of their business are and make adjust to stay in business and have happy clients.

That's if we live in a perfect world.

Once again thanks to all.

2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt