Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hill country , Texas
Talking 12 volt not working troubleshoot tips?

Good day all! We are getting our 79 Argy minuet Ms Bojangles as ready as she can get to take on the summer road trip! Bojangles lights and plugs all work fine on shore power- we make up songs to the hum of the original univolt

We will be doing a lot of NF camping and won't have electricity. So, I installed a brand new battery in the little hatch, made sure all was nice and tight unplugged the electricity and...Nothing. Nada. Tested the battery, it's good..the univolt is plugged in. I didn't see any bad fuses but could replace them. The only thing I found is one side of the metal bracket that holds the red positive from the battery into the fuse panel wiggles (loose rivet on the actual hardware), but the connection is solid. Is there an on switch I'm missing? I do have the breaker for the AC and aftermarket electric water heater off..Might that be the issue? Thanks for any help- I hate to got back to candles and flashlight camping! the model is Univolt TU-430-2T Triad. I am very appreciateive for any help! Thank you!!!
ArgosyGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
TRy tracing the battery negative lead back too ground. You MAY find a large 50 or 60 amp cartridge fuse in the line in a ceramic fuse holder. If you do find this catastrophe fuse check not only the fuse but also the rivets in the fuse holder.
Not sure what years used this but I have found this problem in several trailers
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not know about the Argosy. But on my Airstream and on other Airstreams I have seen there is a switch that cuts the 12 volt off completely. A rotary switch behind the sofa in the front of the trailer. No, the AC breakers should not affect the 12 volt supply. And just to be sure, you are looking for the battery to run the 12 volt appliances and lights, right? There is no inverter in the system to make 110 from the battery unless one has been added.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
That loose rivet on the red wire from the battery is very suspect, even though you think it is a solid connection. You need a voltmeter for Ms. Bojangles anyway, if you have a Harbor freight near you they can be had for under $10 or the spendy one for under $20. Even Sears has them, and wally world.

Also, check the battery terminals, clean them with a small wire brush and put them back on.

If it works on the Univolt, but not on battery, there is just some open line on the + side to the battery, or the - side to the ground.

Eventually you may want to replace the hummer univolt with a more up to date charging system. Also, if you are going to boondock, be sure your tow vehicle charge lines are working so you get some recharge while towing.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hill country , Texas
Awsome info! I will check for those issues and report findings. I just need it to run my lights and a fan at night as we might have to camp in the rest stops on travel days. We are heading to Oregon from Texas and on a shoestring budget so I am attempting to fix the system so we can have a fan for those lovely texas nights till we get to higher elevation!I Thanks all for the input! Much appreciated!
ArgosyGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt