Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Fresno , California
12 volt Battery Problem

The power in my 1974 Airstream works perfectly when hooked up to 110 volt source. When the fully charged battery is hooked up nothing works. I have replaced the positive and negative wires from the battery to the trailer. I have tested for power beyond the fuses for each circuit, and the power exists. But still nothing works off the battery. What is my next step? Thank you.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Are you sure you tested the output side of the fuses? Did you test both sides of the fuses and look at the fuses to see if they are all intact? It's unlikely all the fuses could blow, but not impossible if there's something wrong with the converter.

Gene

Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Quote:
I have replaced the positive and negative wires from the battery to the trailer
Does this statement mean that have replaced the wires from the battery terminals up to the fuse panel? "to the trailer" is the confusing point here...??

If so, it should be an easy matter to check the battery voltage (with the converter AC power OFF) where you installed the new wires into the fuse panel...

Then, as Gene mentioned, you can check the voltage at each end of the primary battery fuses - 50 amp'ers, as I recall...if you have 12 volts here, you should then have 12 volts at each individual accessory fuse on the panel...and everything 12 volts DC powered should operate...

NOW, if your statement above meant something else...I'm at a loss to understand your problem...

If all your 12 volts stuff operates with the converter turned on - the accessory fused items in the fuse panel should be OK to operate...and if you have 12 volts from the battery into the fuse panel, it can only be the 50 amp primary battery fuses as the problem, assuming you've replaced the cables from the battery to the fuse panel....

Ray
Old 06-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Fresno , California
Ray,
Yes,"to the trailer" does mean to the fuse box. I did test each 20 amp fuse and there was power. However, I have not checked the 50 amp fuses. Thank you for the info...I will try that this weekend when I am at the trailer.
Thanks again,

Rod

Tags
12 volt