Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
110 and the converter

While deeply engrossed in a bad movie the 110 power went off. The air was on and a few lights in addition to the TV. No problem with the lights staying on (12 volt) but could not find the problem with the 110ac?

120 at the box outside (checked with a meter) 120 through the cord to the 'stream but nothing at the breakers. None of which were tripped by the way.

Does this sound like a converter issue? The system had been connected to shore power for about nine days before this happened with no issues.

I will take it to the factory in JC for a diagnosis and repair but would like to sound like I know what I am talking about when I get there!

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
It doesn't sound like converter. It sounds like wiring between the shore power fitting and the breaker panel. You confirmed power at the end of the shore power cable?

BTW have you tried another power source even though you show voltage from it? Perhaps it shows voltage under no load but when loaded the voltage drops too low.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
There were several other trailers on that circut. None of them experienced problems. The fifty amp and other 30 amp on the same box did not go out, so I don't think it was their electric.

I thought it might be the wiring to the converter but no problems in the past and it seemed a bit odd it would just fail suddenly like that without some intermittent problems first.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
_

. , .
reads like a breaker tripped.

a couple of the breakers LOOK on, even after tripping.

UNplug from shore power, flip them ALL off, then on again.

turn OFF the ac, water heater and any other large draws...

then check the breaker ON THE SHORE POST/box...

while plugging back IN, station someone near the breakers inside to watch/listen for noise.

breakers can/do go bad and IF the main/30 amp is tripped or dead there will be NO AC power inside.

the gfci breaker is especially hard to read on/off/test...

the marinco 30 amp wall plug/box can fail, it's not very common.

the charger/converter can fail, the challeng in evaluating power IN/out of it is...

FIRST ya need power entering the trailer...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
I did reset all the breakers. Both in the trailer and at the box.

I have left the campground so will try a 110 line from the house to see if it makes a difference. But it sounds like another $1K trip to the factory to me!

Corky
Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Main breaker either tripped or bad. $8 at Home Depot.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
And the confusion continues!

Well, I finally was able to work on the electric issues.

Went to the storage area today with my trusty Honda 2000. Set everything up and plugged in the cords. Wouldn't you know, the 110 worked just fine. So now I don't know if it was the campgrounds system or the trip back home moved some wires enough that things started working again.

Personally I go with the problems origins with the campground electric. But only time will tell.

Corky
Old 09-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
It could be a wire is loose inside your 110 AC breaker box in the trailer...

Unplug your 110 AC shore power, then remove the screws from the panel inside the breaker box to expose the AC wiring...

Check all of the connections for tightness, etc - it's possible one of the screws wasn't tightened enough, and the problem has just now showed it's ugly face due to vibration over the years...

Don't forget the set screws that secure the wires going into each breaker, also all the set screws on the grounding bar, etc...

cycle all the breakers on and off to make sure they still 'feel' tight inside - the contacts do sometimes become heated and lose their proper contact properties...

since the AC worked after moving the trailer, I'm more on board with the thought that there might be a loose connection, and the road 'vibration' made the connection work again - for now! Check inside the breaker box!

Hope that helps...Ray
Old 10-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Shore Power Cord?

Of all things we didn't consider! The problem appears to be in the power cord used to connect to shore power.

Plug in the three prong 30amp to the electric box at campground, then plug in the yellow end to Airstream. The part attaching to the AS is also three pronged with one having a small leg to get the alignment correct to plug in. It is designed to plug in and then give a slight turn clockwise to lock in the plug.

In this instance if you rotate the head of the plug to lock it in the electric goes off in the trailer. If you just plug it in and don't turn it everything works fine??

Next we take the plug ends apart to determine if anything is loose. Same with the trailer connection then hopefully it is a matter of tightening things up or replacing the cord.

Corky