Old 10-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Zamp 200 Watt Panel and factory 10A Fuse

I have a 2017 FC with the factory Zamp port on the battery box. The wiring includes a 10A fuse to protect the system.

Zamp's specs show that the 160 watt panel generates 9.0 amps. No value is given for the 200 watt panel but it should be > 11 amps. See http://www.zampsolar.com/solar-panel-specifications/

Has anyone used the 200 watt panel with the Zamp factory hook-up? If so, have you blown the fuse? Thanks, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 A.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	273789  

Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
My thoughts on your post: Although on paper it would appear a 10 amp fuse in your system would be inadequate, my guess would be you most likely will not blow that fuse unless all the planets align.
When factoring in the need for extremely optimal sunlight conditions in order to get the advertised amperage rating of the panel, which in most cases you may or may not get, my thinking is; between the natural line loss of your wiring and terminations I don't think its going to be a problem, however after that being said, if it does blow a fuse, I would just install one of higher amperage, more than likely the only option would be a 12 amp fuse. (I wasn't sure they made those in that style but a quick internet search showed folks selling them.)

So it appears you may be the guy (through your experience), that can tell all of us, if a 10 amp fuse will be fine for your 200 watt Zamp panel.

In due time please let us know how it works out.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Correction: I may have been incorrect about the 12 amp fuse in that style.