Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

AC connection

Nice pics. I'm confused on the wiring for the connector. are you feeding both hots to the single hot terminal, 115 vac , or a 220vac arrangement?? thanks.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavis76
Thanks all,

I ended up buying the two Hondas. can I run them in econo mode with the AC kicking on? Will the engine ramp up enough to overcome the spike in amps? Again thanks.
hi tavis76 and others....

negative, can't run 'em in eco mode while paired up.....for anything

this is somewhere in the print material.
basically they both need to be on the regular setting....during paired operation.

the primary reason to run both is a/c power needs anyway.

also they can be disconnected for single eco mode use quickly (like to just charge batteries) or for morning coffee/tv needs....

in eco mode one unit will power the smaller microwaves...
but it will ramp up to full speed when the micro kicks on....

if wanting to use just one genset in eco mode.....the parallel kit must be disconnected....

using power tools plugged directly into the genset...switch off eco mode...

even in standard mode they are pretty fuel thrifty....

and don't forget MIDGRADE gasoline (86 octane or above)

i've not had gumming issues a few folks reported,
but i use mine often,
occasionally put some techron in the fuel
and use mobile 1 full syn for lube.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #23
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
RedEagle - No, they have not hit my card. If they had, I'd be knocking on their door. I just really want that unit with the propane configuration. Perhaps their trouble is that everyone else does too. I just wish they would communicate.

Like you, I have the duramax and don't want to lug gasoline around.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I'm assuming you made the purchase thru US Carburator. I emailed them over the weekend with a couple of questions/lead time and had a response Monday morning. They told me ~4 weeks. I still haven't made up my mind over the 2400/3000. I re-read Rich Carpenter's A/S Life article from the winter, but still weighing pros/cons. Weight, cost and I don't want to end up with a high priced battery charger. I don't like Yamaha's disclaimer that the 2400 will run most 13500 BTU A/C's. Will it run mine and on propane? Which one did you purchase and what were the factors you used in making your decision? I'm going to place an order soon to cash in on the rebate.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona

even in standard mode they are pretty fuel thrifty....

and don't forget MIDGRADE gasoline (86 octane or above)

i've not had gumming issues a few folks reported,
but i use mine often,
occasionally put some techron in the fuel
and use mobile 1 full syn for lube.

cheers
2air'[/quote]

I've been looking at the Honda I'm curious when your runnning 2- 2000's how many hours are you able to run the AC unit before you run out of fuel? I've read in econo mode you get 15 hours but it sounds like that is not the case when the 13500 AC is pulling heavy load. and the LCD TV is playing a DVD.

Thanks,
AZstreamin
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Before I converted mine to propane, I ran it for almost 6 days continuous after hurricane Frances. I got 8-9 hours between fuelings, running in Eco mode. I had full size fridge, kitchen and bath lights, plus 42" projection screen TV and DirecTV. I used a seperate 5KW that only ran when we needed to pump water.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I've been looking at the Honda I'm curious when your runnning 2- 2000's how many hours are you able to run the AC unit before you run out of fuel? I've read in econo mode you get 15 hours but it sounds like that is not the case when the 13500 AC is pulling heavy load. and the LCD TV is playing a DVD.

Thanks,
AZstreamin[/quote]
AZ,
When we at the August Nascar Race last August I was running the pair all night to run the A/C. I never ran out so I would agee with Pick on the 7-8 hour range. I do leave mine in eco mode when running in parallel. They ramp up pretty quick when called on and other than when the A/C compressor is on they just idle at low speed.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
I do leave mine in eco mode when running in parallel. They ramp up pretty quick when called on and other than when the A/C compressor is on they just idle at low speed.
vajeep and others

that's interesting you'd paired them and used eco mode...
i just went my the instructions and never even tried this...

works ok for you? they don't continuously surge and compete?
that's what i was told would happen....

times....
on constant eco mode.....12-15 hours run time
on full with minimal loads...8-10 hours run time
on full with moderate load.... 6-8 hours run time...

so if you are getting 7-10 hours, in parallel they are probably not staying in the ecco range much....but still, paired and eco......coool.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Ok that answers my question it sounds like you can make it through the night without refueling..... I imagining camping in the high desert of Arizona in the late fall and early spring and I don't want to have to get out of bed in the middle of the night fueling up a generator with nothing but boxers and flip-flops on because the AC stopped running.. hum my friends would start calling me Cuzin' Eddie
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Tanks for the replies on the eco throttle. I tried running eco throttle the other day with the AC, when the compressor kicks on, it does not ramp up fast enough, and everything cuts out. I am happy with the unit, I was concerned that I would not be able to make it through the night with out refueling, but it does not look like that will be an issue. Thanks again.
Tavis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Now that I think about it, I refueled every 8-9 hours. I never ran the generator out of gas. Sometimes there seemed to be quite a bit in the tank, other times, almost out. Probably depended on how much we opened the fridge door. I remember hearing the Honda ramp up when the fridge compressor came on and the TV would reset and we would have to turn it back on in Eco mode. So during the evening when watching TV, I would turn Eco mode off. Maybe I'll get a UPS for the TV this year!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Thumbs up Yamaha 2400is

I also wanted Yamaha with the propane conversion. Gave up and bought the standard gas version. After 5 hours break-in routine with varying load, I crossed my fingers and switched on the a/c---smooth, not even a detectable hiccup. It's very quiet and no exaust smell. It has fuel shut-off switch so you can run all the remaining gas out of the carburettor. This should evade the sticky carb. problem.
My concernes about carrying gas prompted me to buy a Eagle "safety" gas can. It seals very well; no fumes. It also comes with a special funnel for easy no-spill pouring. The price on a 5 gal. Eagle can varied from $95 at my local hardware store, to $34 at Home Depot. You know where I bought mine :-).
It,s heavy (70 lbs., I'm 70 yrs.), but I can lift it into back of truck o.k. I sit it on a mechanics creeper so i can roll it to where I want it in the truck and lash it down (I have a hard tonneau cover which makes it difficult for me to move things around in the bed).
I like it. It gets the job done. It's cheaper than 2 smaller units, and less fuss.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #33
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Peegreen -

Yes - US Carburetor. I cannot get an answer from them at all. Perhaps they will answer potential customers, but won't answer the folks who have placed orders.

Pat
Old 05-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
[quote=2airishuman]vajeep and others

that's interesting you'd paired them and used eco mode...
i just went my the instructions and never even tried this...

works ok for you? they don't continuously surge and compete?
that's what i was told would happen....

2Air
Before I posted I got out my Honda Owners manual. I could find no Information about what to do or not do in parallel. I have a 1976 a/c unit so I am not sure of the draw. The Honda parallel kit is really cool... It makes the units run exactly at the same rpm. They run like one motor together... Sort of like you have to hear them to understand.
I do also use high test fuel.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
The picture of the parallel hookup, does the u-ground plugs plug into one of the 120v outlets on the Honda?? So both hondas feed into the 30amp plug right?
RichG
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Peegreen -

Yes - US Carburetor. I cannot get an answer from them at all. Perhaps they will answer potential customers, but won't answer the folks who have placed orders.

Pat
Pat,
Which one did you purchase and what were the factors you used in making your decision?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #37
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
First - it had to be a quality unit, so Honda or Yamaha. Second - I only wanted one unit, not two - and Yamaha's size seems adequate for me. Third - I wanted propane for lots of reasons, not least of which is since I'm diesel, I did not want to fool with gas.

I lust for the dang thing. Next time you write them, ask for me what my status is....

Thanks - Pat.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #38
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Oh - it was the EF2400is.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Next I would ask how's it performing? I forgot, you're still waiting. My purchase decision is relying heavily on your review. I too, tow with a diesel and don't want to lug around a gasoline can, especially since I'm all enclosed with the Excursion. I don't even like taking the can to be filled up for the mower. What it boils down for me is the weight of the 3000 seems like a bear, I don't want two $$$, but I need the assurance that it will run my 17 year old AC. Thanks for your reply's and if I contact US Carb before yours arrives, I'll pulse them about your order. I hope it comes soon as it seems you've been waiting patiently!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Oh - it was the EF2400is.
I had one of these last year (gas) and it got me thru the aftermath of hurricane Wilma quite nicely running a 10,000 BTU portable room air and a few other circuits in the house like lights and fans. My wife ran it dry a few times with no damage.

I suspect that they are quite popular now due to the mid-size and low weight, and relatively low cost. I got mine on-line from a company on the West coast. I sold it in Jan. and now have an Onan 7K that I just converted to propane........US Carb did the conversion in fact. Took out the old carb and sent it to them. Got it back propane ready with a new demand regulator in 10 days. I can't imagine why they are not responding to your queries.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote