Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #29

2011 30' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
I'll be acquiring a Yamaha 3000iseb soon and running it in the back of my truck with the tailgate locked. I have a Snugtop shell and was wondering if I would encounter problems running it with the windows open. Does it need more ventilation than that? Where do most people tie theirs down - in the front of the bed for added security or near the tailgate for easy access and better ventilation?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
I had a Yamaha 3000/boost for six years and it powered everything I asked of it. Would have stayed with it for the Airstream, the electric start made it ideal and fashioned some ramps for putting in the back of the truck but what swung me to putting two Yamaha 2000's in parallel for AC work is the simple fact that I don't plan on doing much boon docking where it's hot so won't need the second unit very often. For 90% of my needs a single unit will be perfect and a 45 pound generator is so easy to take out for powering the AS while one of us is off somewhere else in the truck. Something to consider anyway....BTW either runs a fairly heavy load overnight, a generalization perhaps but 45 pounds is so much easier to handle, forget rolling a 3000 or 4500 around in the grass, look at wheel sizes, good for concrete or smooth pavement only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-706767242.png
Views:	57
Size:	800.3 KB
ID:	148938  

Old 01-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdriver19 View Post
I'll be acquiring a Yamaha 3000iseb soon and running it in the back of my truck with the tailgate locked. I have a Snugtop shell and was wondering if I would encounter problems running it with the windows open. Does it need more ventilation than that? Where do most people tie theirs down - in the front of the bed for added security or near the tailgate for easy access and better ventilation?
Don't know how much ventallation you actually need. Maybe someone else knows but,,,,
I started this thread a while back and you can see by the posts that I changed my mind several times. Finally, I went with the 3000iseb. Mostly because Scheck liked his and convinced me to go with it. So glad I did, I just roll mine out onto the tailgate and let it run, when I don't need it I roll it back into the bed and lock the tailgate and camper top. My truck is a Chevy and it came ( original) with steel loops welded in the corners of the bed where I could attach a cable to it if need be, but I see no need.
I'm at the trailer when the gen is running so I would notice a giant or 2 large people running down the road with my Yamaha.
I use my gen to mostly run the A/C when the weather is hot and we have no electric. It works great on the 15,000 btu unit. Plenty of power. There is also an alarm that you can get that plugs into your 110 in the trailer that will sound and light up if the power is cut off. Like if the gen just stops because you ran out of gas or if someone unhooks the electric cord from the gen to your trailer. But this gen has a large fuel tank and seems to run forever.
One of the gen suppliers on line carries the alarm. Under $20. I'd tell you who if I could remember. If you can't find it and want one. Let me know, I'll find my receipt..
Old 01-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have been watching these threads as well because I wanted to have one in my truck for those few times I would stop and not have electric such as during travel. I am not worried about noise as I would not be using it in a campground anyways because they have electric available.
I do like what you said about the Yama running your 15 btu ac, mine is only 13.5,
I have a small crane in the back from Harbor Freight that I put an elect winch on so to lift my wheelchair in and out of the truck and it weighs 200 lbs, I can use this to set it down on the ground if necessary.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdriver19 View Post
if you have it in the bed of your truck you need to have at least 2 sides of the gen that have more than 2 foot of space for proper venting. Many of use who use gens for other purpose than campers carry ours in the side tool box and leaves it with plenty of ventilation room.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 01-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I have been watching these threads as well because I wanted to have one in my truck for those few times I would stop and not have electric such as during travel. I am not worried about noise as I would not be using it in a campground anyways because they have electric available.
I do like what you said about the Yama running your 15 btu ac, mine is only 13.5,
I have a small crane in the back from Harbor Freight that I put an elect winch on so to lift my wheelchair in and out of the truck and it weighs 200 lbs, I can use this to set it down on the ground if necessary.

Sarge

The gen is pretty quiet too. I don't try to lift my 3000 out of the truck either. A hoist and a couple of short slings is ideal. The handles on the Yamaha 3000 are made of steel. No problem lifting it with a sling or 2 thru those.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
For all that are using Gens and loading and unloading, consider this to save your back. Harbor Freight has 2 types of cranes that can be bolted into the bed of your truck, they have extending booms, can be set short 1000lb long 500lb, crank winches, hydrolic jack on boom to raise and lower it.
I changed out the crank winch for a 1500lb ATV winch, ran 10 gage wire from it to battery for power supply.
works without a hitch for anything that needs to be loaded within the rated weight specs and attachment to the truck.

S

NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA