Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #21
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
weird

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Now running

Changed the gas (new can, different vendor), cleaned and re-gapped the pug, cleaned spark arrestor. Fired up albeit with an inital black cloud generated. Happy day.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #24
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good news. Time to hit the road!
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #25
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Good news. Time to hit the road!
Indeed. Shake down cruise this weekend.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have one of these on order and so haven't seen one yet. However, my understanding is that you can easily adjust the mixture- in fact you are supposed to when switching between fuels, or to compensate for altitude. Could it be you left it adjusted for LP when running on gasoline and that caused the carbon build up?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:16 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Now that I received my generator, I see my last comment was way off. You can only adjust the mixtiure when running on LP or natural gas.

I posted my review in the review section- but her'e what I said:

I just got the tri-fuel conversion of this generator. It's a lttle bigger than I hoped, but will still fit under the dinette table if need be when traveling.

Runs well on gas or LP and is reasonably quiet. It has an overload indicatior light that will flicker when my 11k air conditioner starts. This is normal, but shows me that you really need a generator at least this big to run an air conditioner. We accidently turned on the heat strip and the protection kicked in and shut off the generator's power.

I was surprised to read in the manual that you need to have 1/4 tank of gasoline, even when running on LP. Apparently this is to prevent accidentally getting LP into an emply gas tank with potentially disastrous results.

I put in another gas line off my tanks with a quick coupler that I'll use for the generator and a BBQ.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Rodney,
After I burned up a Stihl chainsaw which was traced to a clogged fuel line screen, the factory told me to not use any gas older than 30 days and to run the Amoco Silver mid grade 89 octane gas. I haven't had a problem on either of the two Stihls I have had since. I run mid grade gas now in my tiller and my generator but still run the 87 octane in my lawnmower.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
WayneandSam: "I was surprised to read in the manual that you need to have 1/4 tank of gasoline, even when running on LP. Apparently this is to prevent accidentally getting LP into an emply gas tank with potentially disastrous results."

Nice report, WandS, but I'm concerned about the need to keep a quarter-tank of gas in the tank. Don't recall others mentioning this. I haven't placed my order, but one of the drivers for getting the tri-fuel was so that I wouldn't have to deal was gas, including gas going stale, filter cleaning, etc.

I just looked at my bottle of StaBil - it claims to be effective for up to two years if used at double the dose. And presumably the fuel filter should be OK if usage is limited to propane. So maybe not too bad.

Well, more to think about!
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cammur- I was surprised too, but I don't really think it's that big a deal. They say to break in the engine by running on gasoline for a couple of hours at full load. I did that and just left a bit of gas in the tank. To switch over to LP you shut off the gasoline and run the carb dry. So the only gas is in the tank a that point. It wouldn't be a big deal to run on gasoline once in a blue moon to keep the gasoline fresh.