Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Yamaha 2000W Generator - When Not In Use

When not using the generator, I keep it in the garage in a pretty much "climate controlled" environment. I can't locate my User's Manual at the moment (I think it is with the Airstream at the storage facility) ... but does anyone know which of the following you are supposed to do when not using the generator and it's in storage:

1. Ensure there is fuel in the generator and run every month or so?
2. Empty fuel and refuel only when actively using?

I'm getting the generator ready for an upcoming dry camping rally and I want to make sure it's ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front 2.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	145680  
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I just add sta-bil to a full tank and drain the carb.

Has worked on our first Yamaha 1000, and the 2000i Honda.
I can still use the Honda on LPG if needed during the off Season.

Bob
Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I siphon all the gas out that I can and then run the generator to use up what is left in the lines. That way you don't have to worry about varnish deposits.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
My Yamaha generator manuals are not a model of clarity on this point. Here is what I have "learned" over the years:

Worst thing you can do is leave gas in the carburetor for a long period while it evaporates and leaves "varnish" behind. So: I always a) buy premium fuel that has NO alcohol in it (rumor is that "gasohol" is worse for varnish formation), and b) shut off the tank valve and let the engine run until it quits from having exhausted the fuel in the carburetor float bowl. Then if the carb float bowl has a drain (one of my Yamaha generators does, one does not), I open the drain to make sure there's NO gas left in the carb ... then re-close the valve.

So now we've cleared out the carb. What about the gas in the tank? Here, I think the idea is not to let it get too old. How old is that? Don't know. But if there's any chance it will possibly sit there for more than a few months, I siphon / drain / run it all out and make the tank bone dry. If it's just gonna' be a few months, I add a little Sta-Bil and hope for the best. Seems to me that the issue often is that we "think" it will be just a little while, but if often turns out to be longer than we think, and the whole time that tank full of what used to be gasoline is slowly becoming something nasty and non-gasoline. And then it's bad for valves, bad for rings, and bad for carburetors.

Fresh fuel and a clean tank, lines, filter (if there is one) and carburetor make for easy starting and good running.

Also, do check / change your crankcase oil!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use a little gasoline stabilizer in the tank if gas is going to be sitting in it and we are going to use the generator within a month or so... Then I try to start it and let it run for at laest 15 minutes every 2 weeks if our down time gets extended for some reason. If we are not going to be using the generator for a couple of months, I siphon the gas out of the tank, then let it run until it runs our of gas (whatever is left in the lines)...usually take a a couple of minutes...then I drain the carburetor so doesn't have gas sitting in it. We pay extra attention to this because we live in a hot climate and our garage where the gnerators are kept is not air conditioned...and the hotter the environment, the quicker gas varnishes.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I do the same thing to all of my gas powered engines. I use Sta-Bil gas stabilizer as directed. I have done this for the past 20 years on everything from a 1987 Mazda RX 7 to my grass mower, snow blower and our 2 Vespa Scooters and never had any problems when trying to start them in the spring. I have a 3500 watt generator with gas/sta-bil mixture in it that is 2 years old and it starts by the third pull regardless of how long I have left it sit without starting.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks all for the guidance on what do do here. Now where do I purchase this Sta-Bil gas stabilizer? I'm assuming I can purchase it at the Yamaha dealership? Maybe even Auto Zone?
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
You ought to be able to get Sta-Bil at any auto parts store or small engine shop. Probably where you got your generator if you got it locally ...
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pretty much anywhere.....Wally World....etc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Absolutely no ethanol. It will cause deterioration to carb parts. There is a story out there by lawn mower repair people about lawn mowers, weed eaters, blowers, etc.
You can buy gas line shutoff valves for $7.50 and install yourself on lawn mowers.

My Yamaha 2400 has its own shutoff valve.

I run the unit at least every quarter and use stabilizer.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote