Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by Howard Lefkowitz View Post
That is exactly what I am talking about. Show me the technical article that says Solar systems must be attached directly to the battery. Unfortunately I find these so called rules all over our Camping community. They result in thousands of campers towing unsafe rigs, filling there tires to the pressure number stamped on the tire instead of the correct level based upon weight, etc., etc. Attaching the regulator for three 100 watt solar panels to the main battery bus in a trailer is perfectly acceptable and will not result in any significant voltage loss or degradation in performance.

The 'experts' or old timers who are referred too that have been doing it this way for 25 years do not impress me. Since I have been camping for over 70 years when I ask why is this correct I expect an article, a manufacturers specification or a calculation.
Proprietary information on a commercial scale is not always published or available to the general public. AM Solar is not about to release 25 years of data and measurements to you (or anyone else) simply because you doubt their findings and the effectiveness of their systems design. Thousands of successful solar charging system installations speak for themselves.

As charging amperage requirements have changed, so have the system designs. 8 AWG cable was thought to be sufficient for up to 600 watts of solar. The cable standard for large systems of this size is now 4AWG. This was not arrived by guesswork. It was arrived at by careful measurements and field experience.

NO ONE is asking you to use this data or system design! You can continue using your methods if they work for you.

PS: your 70 years of camping does not impress me in the least!! How many large solar arrays have you installed and measured the voltage drop in the manufacturers' 12AWG or 10AWG cabling? How much voltage drop have you measured from inordinately long cable runs and unnecessary connection points? How many times have you removed substandard wiring that resulted in substandard performance in a client's solar charging system only to TRIPLE the charging amperage to his BATTERIES by proper wiring and direct connections utilizing the same equipment????WHERE IS YOUR DATA???????????????

What are your professional qualifications in the solar/electrical field? NABCEP certifications? Electrical engineering degrees? Master Marine Electrician certifications? RVIA certifications? Years of practical experience in the solar energy field?

Just remember: EVERYONE is entitled to their OPINION. Show me YOUR facts !!!!

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2003 30' Classic
Pawtucket , Rhode Island
I appreciate the information gents, but I do apologize if I've kicked over a hornet's nest here. I do in fact hope to run nearly entirely off solar, and so I will require the strongest output to the batteries to level them off rapidly and without any significant signal loss. I can run a test for each setup when I get all the equipment in and get back to you. I'm leaning towards drilling the holes, as this is most consistent with what I've researched not only via AM Solar's site, but several others. Thanks everyone...

Mastermarx is offline   Reply With Quote