Old 06-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
The alternator thing is a great "alternative" (yuk, yuk) so I'll look into how I'd rewire that into my '63.
Now that we've all yucked it up over the alternator thing, remember that until about 20 years ago, that is exactly how the railroads powered their lights and ventilation systems on cabooses, and some passenger cars. Usually, a pair of belts ran from a pulley outside the wheel, or inside on the axle, to a mounted generator which charged batteries under the car. I can think of too many reasons it wouldn't be practical, but if you really, really, REALLY wanted to do it that way, I am sure a way could be found to do it. For example, a pulley welded onto a brake drum, turning a belt, with an automatic tensioner, going into the wheelwell to an alternator, which would charge the battery.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
For example, a pulley welded onto a brake drum, turning a belt, with an automatic tensioner, going into the wheelwell to an alternator, which would charge the battery.
It doesn't need to be that complicated. All you need to do is tack weld an Alnico magnet to your brake drum. Each time the magnet passes through the field of your brake magnet coil it will generate a current. Run the current through a rectifier and a diode back to the battery. Voila!

Old 06-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

That's right- just basic electromagnetic theory. A magnet moving in a coil generates voltage and voltage yields up current.

Bryan wanted to put trailer sway to work and so you could do something similar there. Mount a magnet on an armature on the TV side and put a coil around around it from the trailer hitch side. Shape the pieces so that they are a sector of the circle described by the pivot at the ball. Every time the pivot works, wah-lah! pure organic electricity.

Oh! Oh! and I just thought of this- the energy captured will be taken from the kinetic energy of the sway. This will act as a sway damper too!
Old 06-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Rivet 12 volt side of life

Since there seems to be interest in "green" energy here, I suggest that you try the "12 Volt Side of Life" web site. This is an interesting site for those who want to generate their own electricity or live off the grid for a week at a time in their RV. I don't have the link handy, just google the name and it comes up.
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I thought that Airstreams were wired to have the tow vehicles alternator charce the battery in the coach???????

In my manual it shows that pin 2 is the chaarge wire for the choach battery.
I know that the pin numbers have changed since 1967, but there are still 7 pins....
I see that your coach is a 1963, but upgrading the wireing should be easy enough.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
I thought that Airstreams were wired to have the tow vehicles alternator charce the battery in the coach???????

In my manual it shows that pin 2 is the chaarge wire for the choach battery.
I know that the pin numbers have changed since 1967, but there are still 7 pins....
I see that your coach is a 1963, but upgrading the wireing should be easy enough.
Tedd, 1963 was the last year the coaches came without a factory Univolt, or plug-in charger, for the 12v system. If you wanted to use the 12v lights and fans, etc, you would have to wait until you were hooked up to the tow vehicle before your house battery would start being recharged. If you were planning on, say, being on batteries (boondocking) one day, and then being on 110v the next, if you didn't drive quite a while to recharge the battery, you would be starting day 3 with a partial charge.
He is trying to figure out a way to charge his battery without being plugged into 110v, and buying an Intellipower. We all just kind of went off on a tangent with off-the-wall ideas for a bit.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
No problem Terry, I enjoy a side trip every now and a gain.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #22
Site Team

, Minnesota
I don't know if there was a wiring change between 1959 and 1963, but in '59 there was a separate 2-wire harness for charging the battery. The brakes and signals went through a 6 pin connector.

Most owners bought a separate 12v charger at Sears to handle charging the battery when on hook-up.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I don't know if there was a wiring change between 1959 and 1963, but in '59 there was a separate 2-wire harness for charging the battery. The brakes and signals went through a 6 pin connector.

Most owners bought a separate 12v charger at Sears to handle charging the battery when on hook-up.
Don, my 63 has a standard 7 pin connector, but it may have been changed by the PO a couple of decades ago. I don't remember seeing any extra wires anywhere near the plug, though. Maybe one more of those "in process" changes that occurred over time.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #24
Site Team

, Minnesota
If it had a separate charging line, you would see connector on the front curbside of the coach. It also had a plate with a caution statement about matching battery polarity to the tow vehicle. Some cars back then still had positive ground wiring.

They must have changed it sometime between '59 and '63.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #25
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If it had a separate charging line, you would see connector on the front curbside of the coach. It also had a plate with a caution statement about matching battery polarity to the tow vehicle. Some cars back then still had positive ground wiring.

They must have changed it sometime between '59 and '63.
Interesting. I have a round ceramic fixture at the front curbside corner, just below the TV antenna lead. It has two flathead machine screws, but no power, and no warning label. Could this be the connector?
I can take a pic tomorrow, and post a photo here.