Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
Why Not Free Standing Solar Panels?

Being in the market for solar panels and a generator, it occurred to me that few Airstreamers want to actually attach a generator to their AS. It's just expected that the generator will be free standing by the trailer. So why attach solar panels? When I'm travelling, the tow vehicle does the charging, and when I'm boondocking, why can't I just find a sunny spot and throw out a fixed or flexible panel, or stand one up by or against the trailer? If you buy a new AS, you can take this system with you. But the benefit of this for me is that we own two Airstreams, and installing two solar systems seems redundant and doubly expensive. For a rigid panel, I'm looking at an Evergreen Solar EC-115-GD at 115 Watts/12 Volts. For a flexible panel, there's a military grade 55 Watt/12 Volt that will fold up into a very small package when not in use. Of course, both would require and are designed for an inexpensive solar charge controller, and you could add panels as needed. Am I missing something here or does this make sense? I've been through previous forums and this doesn't seem to be addressed yet.
bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Only concern that I envision is that they develop legs and get lost!
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
Good point, Al. I think I can chain a rigid panel down, though, if that's an issue.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I see no problem. You can park in the shade and put the panels in the sun, sounds like a winner.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
You could make a PVC cradle that would allow you to move the mount around to keep it pointed toward the sun. You could also incorporate a pivot for up and down. If you are always going to be near the trailer then no problem otherwise someone will walk off with it. As far as chaining the panel down, many panels have aluminum frames which allso Z feet to be screwed/bolted to it. If someone wants the panel badly enough, they will circumvent this. You could disconnect and place the panel inside if you were leaving for a period of time. There are some honker size panels out there worth plenty of money and I'd hate to see someone walk off with your investment if you get get one of the over 100 size panels.

I have used a 5 watt and 25 watt panel and have placed them on top of the trailer without problems. In 3 months I will be installing one or two 100 watt panels on top of my trailer which will be mounted with 3M tape and adjustible feet so the only thing I have to do is clean them from time to time.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
bhunt

i thought about doing the same thing. i thought a brief case type design that would fold up to protect the panels when travelling.

connection to trailer would be made using the umbilical cord. the same circuit the tow vehicle charges by would be used.

and as was pointed out, park in the shade, panels in the sun.

best of all no holes in the trailer roof!

john
Old 01-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
john hd

Those are good suggestions. Thanks. The theft issue raised by BigAl still baffles me, though. One of the solar panels I'm considering sells for about $800! How can you really secure a free standing panel? That seems to be the biggest problem. Now that I think about it, wind could be another issue. Leave your AS for a hike in the woods, either the wind comes up and blows the panel into that soft aluminum AS skin, or somebody walks off with it for their own use. Anyone have good solutions to those issues?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Not only would I be concerned with them walking off, where the heck would you store them? One more thing to drag out and set up. It's enough with chairs, grills, matts and all the rest. Up on the roof and ready to go!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Anyone have good solutions to those issues?
dunno, every place i have ever camped i have never worried about theft. most folks are good, i always lock up my hitch reciever so i can at least get back home!

this set up is something one would use for boon docking mostly, chain it to your hitch i suppose.

john
Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Something else to set up and take down.

And the kids don't have to live and play in fear.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i guess if you used the flexible marine panels the kids could hop scotch on them!

john
Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I have the flexible marine panel. I siliconed the plastic hold downs for the grommet holes to the top of trailer above the front window. Takes a step ladder to get it up there. I feel good about leaving it for short trips away. Feels solid in a light wind. Haven't experienced high winds yet. I can take it down and follow the sun if shade is a problem. Or just spring clamp it to the rock guard awning of the front window. Hop scotch sounds like a fun use for it too. Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Been there, done that

I made a PVC pipe frame with adjustable 2 adjustable tilt legs and attached 3 16 watt panels I got from Costco online. It came with a very simple charger and did the trick. HOWEVER, I was using it on my Jayco 23 B and just stored it inside when traveling as I really didn't care if I nicked up the inside so much. I also carried a Yamaha 2400is generator and chained both together and then attached to the trailer frame. Hassle free it was not. When I got our Safari 27 FB SE LS I got the solar panels and had them installed by the dealer and it was worth all that I spent. Even my wife wanted the factory panels and setup and she hates to spend money on one of my toys!
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
I use an 85 watt panel that I built a light aluminum frame for. Can park in the shade and have my panel in the sun it has worked great.

Zugbug
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I talked with AS today and the rep for the solar collectors said that if ANY part of the panel is in the shade, it decreases the amount of current produced dramatically. Even having the TV antenna shadow will across the cells stops current like a on/off switch. Interesting as I thought that if you had 80% sunlight you got 80% power. Not the case. If an antenna falls across the middle of the panel, it cuts the power in half. In other words, don't put the panels under trees.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
I talked with AS today and the rep for the solar collectors said that if ANY part of the panel is in the shade, it decreases the amount of current produced dramatically. Even having the TV antenna shadow will across the cells stops current like a on/off switch. Interesting as I thought that if you had 80% sunlight you got 80% power. Not the case. If an antenna falls across the middle of the panel, it cuts the power in half. In other words, don't put the panels under trees.
The type of panel also comes into play here. Amorphous panels are only 6-8 % efficient while Polycrystalline and Monocrystalline panels are both 12-14% effecient. What I have learned from some research is that you need at least the 36 cell panel and 44 cell panels are even better because they are putting out 21.5 volts straight from the panel. Panels drop several volts when they are hot according to what I have read so anything over 17 volts out of the panel should do the trick. Wire size also affects voltage drop.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #17
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
Zugbug,
Do you do anything to prevent theft of the panel? Has 85 watts been enough for your lifestyle in a 19' Bambi?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
I haven't done anything to lock up the panel. but I am not normally away from the trailer for more than 5 or 6 hours at a strech. This is something I may need to consider depending on the place I am camped.
As far as power I have run for 3 or 4 days and kept my single battery at full charge the whole time. This is with using the DVD TV part of the time too.

Zugbug
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I bring a length of chain and a padlock to attach to a tree or the trailer. Better safe than sorry.