Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertube65 View Post
Just to say my feelings about this option I have an Onan Built in propane powered generator on our 1973 Sov . It works fine but is noisy, and causes vibration in the trailer so we seem to never really use it. I also have a 1000 watt unit that is portable and with a little distance from the trailer you can't hear it. It also use's gas and very little of that so it keeps my batteries charged and ads hydro for small things around the site on a very small buget.
Of course it would be nice to have the air on but hey, Im in Canada !!!
I may remove our Onan and us the space to carry my portable but i don't really want the gas fumes inside so would have to be very careful to may sure only outside venting is allowed.

Jim
Even without looking at your profile, when you said the generator "adds hydro" I guessed you were Canadian.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It occurs to me that there will be a sea change in generator technology in another couple of years as the inverter designs now used in portables make their way into vehicle-mounted generators.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
This might be why RV generators have dropped substantially in price, with some well-made off-brand units selling for $500 that have 12v and 120v outputs capable of running a 15k btu A/C.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
In June of 2001 when I purchased my 2002 ASCL 31 foot twin rear bed from CanAm RV I had expressed my desire to be able to use the A/C and microwave while enroute or if ground power was not available.

Andy Thomson installed an Onan Micoquiet 4000 (120 Volt, 33 amp, 4,000 watt) genset under the curb side bed in a ¾” metal lined enclosure. Remote start/stop/hour control panel is located on the wall to the right of the cook-top under the vent hood. The 30 gallon (only 25 gallons useable) fuel tank is made of aluminum and mounted under the front in the spare tire holder (I carry the spare tire in the rear between the two twin beds when enroute and stow it under the hanging closet in that “not so usable gap” at the foot of the street side twin bed when parked).

The genset can power the Air conditioner, converter and hot water heater OR microwave simultaneously. When just powering the Air conditioner and converter it consumes about ½ gallon of fuel per hour, so the 25 gallon fuel supply will provide over 48 hours of power. The genset is tied into the A/C wiring via a switch which, if I am tied to land power when I start the genset, will cut out the land power when the genset comes on line so that there is no conflict.

The genset’s indirect location, under the curb side twin bed, intaking cooling air from the underside and exhausting it to the curbside/underside with engine exhaust exiting at the rear curbside minimizes vibration and sound (the curbside mattress and ¾” containment box plus the storage enclosure under the bed acts as a great noise suppressor). In fact noise is suppressed to a level that on the outside it is only about twice as loud as the rooftop A/C unit and inside with the A/C running noise is negligible. Sleeping on the twin bed over the genset is TOTALLY comfortable as the drone of the genset is no worse than the sound of a floor fan and vibration is negligible (the genset engine has a gear driven counter balance shaft to suppress single cylinder vibration).

Servicing: It is accessed to check/add oil and adjust altitude through the upper curbside storage door and the oil is changed through the lower curbside storage door.

The genset now has 912 hours on it. As the Airstream is parked next to my home I have used the genset several time over the years to power my home refrigerators when land power failed due to storms; the latest being two years ago when hurricane Ike moved through Houston (I flee all hurricanes and power was out when I returned).
Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #19
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Kind of interested in the Genset, i just recently took my Airstream back to the factory and had the Solar Panels installed, but am still considering getting a generator, and the built in one suits me better the external. Do you have any photos? and do you mind sharing what the price of your setup went for?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Oshawa , Ontario
mgm
My unit is an original Onan installed in the 70's and came with the AS so I really don't know the original cost. I do know that the output of the unit is very small and only acts as a trickle charger so the weight and space usage was only good back in the days before todays much improved unit were available. I find the least expensive available today produce at least 3-4 times as much output and are much lighter and quieter so you should have no problem finding something that would fit nicely.
My unit is under the rear curbside bunk on my 31 and I for one would not want to sleep with it running.
Silvertube65
Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
am still considering getting a generator, and the built in one suits me better the external.
Do you have any photos?...
scan/read some of the longer or older genset threads,

lots of good info from those actually using these things.

an early important decision is how BIG, which should be based on how MUCH stuff u wanna power.

IF you wanna run the ac on genny juice this is important.

not a lot of interior space on a 25,

so u need to decide what space is worth giving away for only a few hours use.

a built in, to be safely done takes much effort.

look at how/where mohos put the gensets

and how much effort goes into the space, wiring, fuel, safety and so on...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ator-2191.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ream-4935.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ics-60164.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...tor-54172.html

this is one of those regular/recurring questions

that gets asked primarily by inexperienced streamers or those just day dreaming.

who then abandon the idea after realizing the costs/issue/effort needed to do it properly.

there are many threads with photos of diy genset box inside/under beds...

you can find them, imo almost NONE of those efforts are safe or should be considered.
________

vehicle mounting has some nice advantages...

like a readily available fuel suppy, or open space

or the ability to use the genset when NOT near the stream...

i carry (in da truck) and use one as much or more, away from the trailer.

tongue mounting is a nice compromise (outside but on trailer)...

and some develop elaborate boxes on the tow vehicle.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ion-30513.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ors-45284.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...uck-67192.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ell-48498.html

again start by deciding WHY and how the genset will be used,

then sort out size/fuel preferences and consider all the carry/mount locations.

another nice feature 2 starting with a easy to carry eu2000i or yam'

is resale/upgrade without tearing UP the stream again.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Then you just might be interested in buying this one (you can see pictures of where the generator is located by clicking the pictures link) .... 1966 Custom 22 foot Trailer - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
My "forever" Airstream will have a generator installed, with 12v for charging and 110v with enough current to run a 15k btu A/C and a couple of smaller devices.

I decided to place it just forward of the wheel well on the passenger side, fully enclosed and insulated, air in from below ...
Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I'll also add that my genset decision was a tough one - it makes little conventional logic or economic sense.

I mainly would use this AS in National Parks that often do not have hookups, and mainly during the hottest part of the year. I anticipate that if I did NOT have it, I would find that limiting my options. Since I can buy and install the genset during the rebuild for under $1,000, it is worth the extra flexibility it buys me.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Noise, vibration and lack of electronic ignition. ONAN -- with those KOHLER engines -- were and are great, but hea-vy! What I recall from servicing generators from the 1970's were the usual problems caused by intermittent use and bad points, tired batteries, carb adjustments, altitude, etc. A bulletproof motor, though.

I, too, want a TT with a generator, and am torn by the number of compromises in wanting to run A/C. Trucks with PTO generators limit flexibility, etc.

There is an early '90's SILVER STREAK I have seen sold twice in the past few years that was customized by the factory for a disabled owner that has an onboard generator . . I keep hoping it will show up for some photo's and info (same with detailed photo's of a CAN AM installation).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Things are not what they were: the system I installed, an Onan Microlight genset (6000 hour life vs. 1000 -1200 hours from a Yamaha or Honda) weighs 113 lbs. And with the duramax sound-proofing applied to the 20 gauge fire box the genset sits in I can easily carry on a conversation without raising our voice (and I wear hearing aids).

It runs off the front propane tanks, so the carbon footprint is minimal (way less then it takes to create an extra Aux. battery). Additionally, I don't have to worry about filling up an addition fuel tank, or worry about the carb. gumming up.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Kind of interested in the Genset, i just recently took my Airstream back to the factory and had the Solar Panels installed, but am still considering getting a generator, and the built in one suits me better the external. Do you have any photos? and do you mind sharing what the price of your setup went for?
mgm, because the genset was a “turnkey” with the AS purchase from Can-AM RV, London, Ontario, Canada in June of 2001 I can’t give you an exact $$$ amount, but it was about $3,500 to $4,000. This included the genset, 30 gallon aluminum fuel tank (25 gallons accessible), installation and wiring. The genset weighs about 175 lbs., I’d guess the ¾” enclosure weighs about 20 lbs. and the empty aluminum tank and lines weighs about 35 lbs. for a total of approximately 230 lbs. With the fuel tank and fuel in the front spare tire holder and the genset in the rear the total package is balanced weight wise.

The Onan Microquiet 4000 (120 volt, 33 amp, 4,000 watt) powers the following combinations simultaneously: Air conditioner (16 amps), microwave (14 amps), refrigerator, converter, satellite receiver & laptop computer’s AC power supply (used as TV). If I want to use the electrical side of the hot water heater (15 amps) I have to make sure I don’t use the microwave (14 amps) or the genset breaker will trip; but realistically using genset gasoline and wear & tear to heat water doesn’t make sense when the water can be heated with LP gas.

Speaking of LP gas, Onan makes a Microquiet 4000 which runs on LP gas. The plus side is that it’s less maintenance intensive; the negative side is that LP fuel capacity is limited. My 25 gallons of accessible gasoline will run the genset for more than 50 continuous hours.

Per your request for photos I just took the following (photo of curbside storage door access blocked by “tight slip”. I included some of my “tight slip” photos to also show how maneuverable the Hensley hitch and short wheel base X5 are):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooling Air Exhaust Shute.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	111556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	111557  

Name:	Fuel Tank Valve Shield1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	111558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Tank Valve Shield2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	111559  

Name:	Fuel Tank Valve, Vent & Sight Tube.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	111560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Tank Vent Between LPG Tanks.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	111561  

Name:	Genset CO Alarm.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	111562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genset Enclosure1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	111563  

Name:	Genset Enclosure2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	111564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genset Enclosure3.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	111565  

Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Continuing with photos as site limits me to 10 each per messsage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Genset Enclosure4.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	111566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genset Enclosure5.jpg
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	111567  

Name:	Genset Enclosure6.jpg
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	111568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genset Enclosure7.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	111569  

Name:	Power Switch1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	111570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Switch2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	111571  

Name:	Spare Tire1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	111572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spare Tire2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	111573  

Name:	Start Stop Hours1.jpg
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	111574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Start Stop Hours2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	111575  

Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Continuing with still more photos as site limits me to 10 each per messsage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Start Stop Hours3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	111580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Start Stop Hours4.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	111581  

Name:	Tight Slip1.jpg