Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
DK,

You should use a 10 gauge wire for 30 amp. It probably wouldn't get warm.

Guys, here's another question that I got to thinking about while reading some other postings:

I've basically narrowed down my choice to either the Honda EU3000, or the Yamaha 3000 with the 500 watt boost for starting. I've read that both are excellent. But, I thought I read where one poster on here said that the Honda is much easier to get service on because there are a lot more dealers.

Is that the case? I mean, every big town seems to have a Yamaha bike dealership. Wouldn't they be able to get stuff for generators? Are the Honda's that much easier to get stuff for? Aren't they both really good and reliable units?

I want one of these two. Haven't decided which one yet. I really like the Yamaha. But the Honda I'm sure is good medicine too.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Jeez you guys, all this info is really great. I've been looking at the Honda 2k and 3k as a back up for my home, and to drag along with the Airstream. Another thing that seemed important, the Hondas have a "clean" power output, which is supposed to be good for computers etc. I don't know if Kawasaki has the same technology, but I thought it was probably good for other electronic things, like the chip in my furnace, and perhaps in AC and fridge units? Our power goes out several times in the winter, this year for 3 1/2 days, and we just had a connection point and disconnect wired into the house. The Honda 2k is great because of the light weight, but the 3K is marginally quieter and, of course, puts out more power.

Keep us posted on your choice.

Peter

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Voltage drop and generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow
My barn, 200' from the breaker box is wired on a 20A circuit with 12ga wire.............With the old A/C I had NO problem going 24 hours per day..............NOW, within 20 minutes the wiring at the breaker box is getting warm or blowing the breaker.........Put in a 30A breaker........doesnt blow the breaker but the wiring gets WARM...............to spooky..........
DK, 200 feet from the breaker box even with #10 AWG is pretty far to maintain 120 v I'm guessing. You can probably find the voltage drop for that distance on the internet. Exterior (overhead) or underground #10 or #8 or using conduit is pretty expensive, so prepare for the shock. You can check that #12 wire with a voltmeter to see just how many volts you have. Low voltage is bad for motors and electronics.

And, Peter, just how big a generator do you want for the A/S? You can buy a 1 kw for the trailer (light and can run anything but the A/C), and a big noisy one for the house for a lot less than the one you're looking at. I don't know the total cost, but you won't have to lug around 100+ lbs. The house generator can be permanently installed, run on natural gas or propane, go on and off automatically (that switch is expensive). I'm not sure how clean the power is from the not so quiet generators.

It seems like the reliability of power companies has been dropping since de-regulation, so it seems in a lot of places it's necessary to have backup power, especially if you're away from home, it gets cold, and the heat won't go on.

Gene
Old 02-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Hi, thanks. Our situation isn't the fault of PG&E, it's the trees that wipe out the single power line that snakes out here to the coast. I don't really feel the need for the generator for the AS, but figured if there is one at the house, it could also be used with the trailer.

I love all the engineering stuff, it's great to have access to people who can do the heavy figuring!

Peter
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
DK,

You should use a 10 gauge wire for 30 amp. It probably wouldn't get warm.

Guys, here's another question that I got to thinking about while reading some other postings:

I've basically narrowed down my choice to either the Honda EU3000, or the Yamaha 3000 with the 500 watt boost for starting. I've read that both are excellent. But, I thought I read where one poster on here said that the Honda is much easier to get service on because there are a lot more dealers.

Is that the case? I mean, every big town seems to have a Yamaha bike dealership. Wouldn't they be able to get stuff for generators? Are the Honda's that much easier to get stuff for? Aren't they both really good and reliable units?

I want one of these two. Haven't decided which one yet. I really like the Yamaha. But the Honda I'm sure is good medicine too.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Jim, I recently pulled into a Honda motorcycle/ATV dealer in town and asked if they had or could get parts for my 2000eui generator. No joy - they don't do generators. Anybody's generators. And they carry Yamaha ATV's, too. So, not always a safe assumption that the Honda bike dealer will be able to help you with service issues. At least in my limited sample.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #48

1949 19' Trailwind
YourTown , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
DK, 200 feet from the breaker box even with #10 AWG is pretty far to maintain 120 v I'm guessing. You can probably find the voltage drop for that distance on the internet. Exterior (overhead) or underground #10 or #8 or using conduit is pretty expensive, so prepare for the shock. You can check that #12 wire with a voltmeter to see just how many volts you have. Low voltage is bad for motors and electronics.
Gene
The voltage drop depends on the current that is drawn, so at no load, if DK measures the voltage at the end of the line, it will still be 120V (or whatever is available at the breaker box). So measure the voltage when pulling a full load, that will tell you how much voltage is available for the A/C. And yes, low voltage is bad because the lower the voltage goes, the higher the current has to go to provide the same amount of electrical power to the load.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #49
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Hey Guys and thanks for the thoughts.................the breaker at the house varies a bit but let's say that it measures 120V.................At the breaker on the wall in the barn it is 118.................plugged into an outlet in the trailer it is also 118............fire up the heat pump and it drops to 112..............

I am currently using my EU3000 when I need the heat............no problem and quiet enough and yes triple the cost to run 8 guage down there.........

We shall see what I need to do when I run the A/C in a few months.......in the past I have run that trailer with extension cords run down that 200'. Does the penguin use that much more power?????