Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
We are getting ready to come back out West to the Balloon Fiesta also. I have a '63 Trade Wind, so I am going to add a gray water tank before heading out. I am planning on using one of the new Vantage Trailer Supply's gray tanks that will fit within the belly skin. We just finished a 4 month trip and got by just fine without a gray water tank, but it looks like the Balloon Fiesta might be a challenge without it.

I am also looking to buy a generator, and I'm strongly considering a Yamaha EF2400iSHC. I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so space is at a premium. One Yamaha is more space efficient than two Honda 2000's.

Am I missing something. Tell me if you think I am making a mistake.... before I purchase.

Thanks
Hi, I bought a Yamaha 2400 just before we went to the Balloon Fiesta two years ago and I'm happy with it. I wanted one generator that could run my A/C and it did well. The two Hondas are the most popular set-up, but I wanted only one generator and it cost me less than $1,100.00 and it would have cost about $2,000.00 or more for the two Hondas. The Yamaha is heavier, but has two handles and my wife insists on helping me move it at times. You can't go wrong with either choice if you want something portable. The larger generators are just way to heavy unless you keep them bolted down in the bed of a pick-up truck. Besides the blue Yamaha goes good with the blue stripes on my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 253.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	108908   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Balloon Fiesta 076.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	108910  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Balloon Fiesta 054.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	108911  
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaways View Post
Dave and Felicia, sounds like a perfect plan! TB, geeze, thanks for the info and the sentiment. That puts us at ease. If I'm reading this correctly, we should get a regular Honda 2000 and a companion which will allow us to run the AC if need be. But if the temps/allergies don't go haywire, we will only need the 2000. Or did I just make that up... Lol
You're welcome... Looks like you got it right...a singe 2000 when that's enough (will run anything but the AC)...two 2000s when you need to power (AC)...or a 2400 Yamaha... It really depends on your preferences. Yamahas and Hondas are on a par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
We are getting ready to come back out West to the Balloon Fiesta also. I have a '63 Trade Wind, so I am going to add a gray water tank before heading out. I am planning on using one of the new Vantage Trailer Supply's gray tanks that will fit within the belly skin. We just finished a 4 month trip and got by just fine without a gray water tank, but it looks like the Balloon Fiesta might be a challenge without it.

I am also looking to buy a generator, and I'm strongly considering a Yamaha EF2400iSHC. I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so space is at a premium. One Yamaha is more space efficient than two Honda 2000's.

Am I missing something. Tell me if you think I am making a mistake.... before I purchase.

Thanks
Life without a grey tank might be a little different at the Balloon Fiesta...since there's nowhere to dump a blue boy portable holding tank unless you haul it out of the fiesta grounds or have the honey truck do it, and that could get pricey...I think it was $20 for a drain... No matter how you look at it conservation it the key.

The 2400 Yamaha is a good choice ... you get more power from two 2000s but it should be sufficient for your AC. It's a trade-off: one 2400 generator = less power than a 3000 but you can lift it; two 2000s = more power but more storage space required + option to take just one; one 3000 = plenty of power + a hernia. We have been with a single 2000 for a year now. We are seeing how it goes the rest of this year ... but we're leaning toward getting a 2nd because we want to travel more in the summer where we might need AC.

See you all at the Balloon Rally!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote