Old 04-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
What would you do first?

Only had our airstream for a couple of weeks and we are trying to decide what upgrades to do first. We plan on doing a mix of boondocking and campgrounds with hook ups. So our list includes:
1. replace converter with Progressive Dynamics PD4655V converter to conserve our batteries.
2. Upgrade our solar package. We have the factory solar package with two 50 W panels, two agm batteries, and the pvcm25d controller. So can we add a 100w panel on in series with the exisitng panesl and 10 g wire and controller to get more power?.
3. Or should we first first up grade to the Blue Sky solar charge controller which is often recommended here and supposed to get more out of your existing panels.
So where should we start? Probably can't afford to do everything at once, but maybe one or two things on the list. Each option cost in the range of 200-300 if I do the work myself.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The first upgrade that we did to New Lucy when we brought her home in October of 2014 was to replace the OEM Marathons with 16" Michelin LT's. Since we did it right away, we were able to sell her brand new 15" tires and wheels for $600.00. That made the cost of the upgrade $1,000.

We travel extensively with our Airstream and the junky OEM tires are the first thing that we wanted to upgrade.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
x2 with Moosetags. We changed out the GMT but kept the 15" rims & installed Maxxis E rated 10 ply rubber. Sold the 4 Marathon's for $250 on Craigslist. Not as good as the 16" Michelin's but a hell of a lot better than the Goodyears. Safety should be your first issue.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Go camping for a while first. What you want/need will become clear to you. It might be that it is just fine for the way you want to use it. Of course I am a guy who does not have or want solar and am still using a single stage converter from 1988. (I put the trailer on timer wnen we leave it plugged in at home). But it works for us. Keep a little cash in reserve in case something breaks or you find you really need to change something. We do not really boondock, but we often stay at sites without water and electric for up to 10 days at a time. I like sites with trees and we are often in cold, cloudy climates.

Things that we have done that I liked were changing to Michelin tires (I use the 15" because they will easily carry the 25'), fantastic fan, and purchased a small generator. I rebuilt the slide out pantry with a better slide and the drawer slides under the sofa. Added a TV swivel mount on a wall. And a sewer hose carrier under the trailer large enough for the connections too.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Go camping! Upgrades can be sorted with time.

I think one of the first items for dry camping and boon docking is the battery system and charger. Whether you use solar or a generator they both are for charging the source of your power which is batteries. My 28' international came with flooded acid group 24 which has somewhat limited power compared to 27s and other battery technology.

I decided to go generator vice solar. So I am getting the generator first with a Trimetric battery monitor then going camping to see just how my batteries last. Then I will upgrade batteries as needed and select the right charger.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
So good advice everyone. We'll take it on a couple of trips before we decide what to do next and put upgrading tires and possibly a generator instead of more solar on the list to consider.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
IMO I personally would not upgrade anything until Ii got a feel for your AS. I think you will fine what you have as OEM will work quite well for a couple of years. I also think you would be better served if you would look to purchase accessories such as a bike rack, air pump, generator, small ladder, sheets, outdoor grill, screen room or even upgrade your mattress. This was the path over first few years that we followed after we bought our AS.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Get out and "experience" your Airstream. The list of items will start to grow from your camping experiences. I always keep a notebook and pen handy with a page that has a title of "Things I want" . Then, as I am camping, I update the notes so I can review when I get home and buy/set aside things for the next outing.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

What to do?......

1. Camp
2. Camp
3. Camp
4. Converter
5. Camp

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Get a TPMS for your trailer tires. There are several maid less where the sensor screws onto the valve stem.

Kelvin
Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The first upgrade that we did to New Lucy when we brought her home in October of 2014 was to replace the OEM Marathons with 16" Michelin LT's. Since we did it right away, we were able to sell her brand new 15" tires and wheels for $600.00. That made the cost of the upgrade $1,000.

We travel extensively with our Airstream and the junky OEM tires are the first thing that we wanted to upgrade.

Brian
x2, plus do the same with the converter.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Get a TPMS for your trailer tires. There are several maid less where the sensor screws onto the valve stem.

Kelvin
I'm old fashioned. Use high dollar dial Guage for tires. Carry air compressor. Check tire pressure every morning and thump tires (truck driver thing) and wheel bearings at every stop.
It's that. Different strokes thing.
Walking around unit is a good chance to circulate blood and get some air.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Isn't it amazing that you (and many others) buy a high speed/high dollar new trailer and feel the need to upgrade. It sounds like the factory isn't listening to what consumers REALLY want and "upgrading" their initial output. However, it does sound like you have a really nice trailer and I hope you enjoy it. Thats it!! first, enjoy your trailer and see if it already meets your needs!! I bought an older AS (not quite vintage I guess, LOL) and wanted to redo it to my tastes/needs. I started out with a big list of wants which went back and forth as I progressed through the redo. However, initial changes were for safety, which in your case is most likely a tire/rim upgrade to 16"(check wheel well spacing before buying them). I'm still out on the TPMS systems, I've had them on other rigs w/no problems. My sister's fifth-wheel recently had a tire bulge on the inside sidewall that was seen by a vehicle behind them, who warned them as their TPMS failed to show a problem. So, the TPMS may lull you into not checking the tires at every stop as you should but if it gives you piece of mind, go for it. You might want to upgrade your safety chains as mine seemed small for the size of the rig. It never hurts to be too safe when RVing. If you upgrade your converter, make sure it is a multi-stage unit that cycles your batteries (longer life). I went with a PD 9200 series 60 amp unit (OEM was 45 amp) and got the remote moniter for it, hope this helps. Good luck and safe travels...
JDB
Old 04-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
Part of the fun if ownership is upgrading...

I brought home my 1977 Argosy 28 MH last year. Changed all fluids and tires and went camping off-grid. Off grid doesn't mean we do without electronic devices. I also use the rig as an office at home and sometimes drive to the beach and work out of the rig for a change of scenery. The genny works but is too loud for my taste so I went for solar and battery upgrade.

I run two 100 watt solar panels mounted to the top of a removable post attached to my rear hitch receiver. I love this set up because I can orient the solar panels to the sun throughout the day for max efficiency. I remove the pole with the panels attached and store inside the rig while traveling. By using the gas refrigerator full time, I don't have to hook up to the house except on the hottest days when I need the air-conditioner.

I have A 400 amp hour battery system comprised of four 100 amp 12 V batteries. These are charged through a solar charger. I have a 2000 W inverter (4000 W peak.). Now please don't judge me, but I also have a 1500 W sub woofer with amp along with 400 W of conventional stereo. Don't worry, I only play the music loud when I'm on the freeway. Hey, a motorhome is loud.

I love the warm glow of the old school lights in this motorhome. But I did replace certain lights with LED equivalents to minimize power consumption. This is still very much a work in progress that I imagine will never end. But again that's part of the fun.