Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #61

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Put a "Predator" (HarborFright) sticker over the Honda label. [emoji38]
Or if I don't want something stolen I put a sign on it saying, free inquire within. If I want it stolen the sign says $xxx, inquire within.
It is amazing how fast the 2nd will disappear.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Just a thought- of all the people reading and posting - how many have had their generator stolen?

Several years ago I travelled solo all over US and up here in Canada. My Honda sites on the tail gate with my cap door down. Now I only run it to do quick charges if need be - before bedtime or during day.

I travelled with dogs so many times I was away from the rig. Never gave I had a problem.

The only time I had something stolen was in PEI at a Provincial park on a beach. The local kids went on a spree stealing about 10 coolers looking for the being party drinks. I took my beers in but left the pop, but it was a coolatron- ug silly me- my fault really and their gain over my lack of common sense- lesson learned.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ModPod View Post
Just a thought- of all the people reading and posting - how many have had their generator stolen?

I've never had anything stolen while camping. I had a small air compressor stolen from my parents garage (by a neighbor, I'm certain.)
My aging parents needed a small air compressor for their garden wheelbarrow, etc. and I gave them one. After a few years it wouldn't pump-up the tank and I spent a couple hours out in their garage disassembling the compressor, cleaning the head and reversing the reed-valves and got it working again. I let it run awhile to show them.
Then we put it back into their garage and closed the door and went out for dinner. We were gone about 3 hours.
When we returned... it was gone. Nothing else but the air compressor. The next door neighbor had a derelict 20-yr old who lived with them and his bedroom blinds were always drawn but he'd have been able to observe my repairs and testing of the compressor. He was always home while his parents worked as he never seemed to have a job.
I called the Houston police who sent an officer out right away and he took the report. When I gave him my opinion, he went next door and knocked on the doors all-around...and of course, no answer. The garage door had an ordinary doorlock...but we had failed to use it. He took the compressor...but left the 25' air hose. The officer stated that pawn shops won't pay money for hoses like they will for compressors. The officer left and I went inside.
Ten minutes later, I noticed the neighbor's kid and his van were gone. I'm sure the compressor was headed for a pawn shop somewhere.
I actually was more pizzed off because of the two hours wasted repairing it for a thief than I was by losing the old compressor. Thieves are opportunists. They observe you...and know when you're gone. If you put even a token obstacle in their way... they'll move on to an easier target. Don't go waste a lot of money on high-dollar deterrents when all you likely need is a very VISIBLE one that says "not me...go find an easier one".
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #64
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Have been camping for 25+ years. With either a pop up, or the AS. Nothing stolen. Now I did have a hatchet confiscated by a Park ranger. I left it stuck in the creosote log that separated the trailer side from the parking side. He left me a note so I could come up and apologize about it in order to get my hatchet back.
I use a cable and lock to secure the Honda 2000. I also carry it in a large rubbermade tub. The tub flips over and hides it when in camp. (Not while it's running)

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Have been camping for 25+ years. With either a pop up, or the AS. Nothing stolen. Now I did have a hatchet confiscated by a Park ranger. I left it stuck in the creosote log that separated the trailer side from the parking side. He left me a note so I could come up and apologize about it in order to get my hatchet back.
I use a cable and lock to secure the Honda 2000. I also carry it in a large rubbermade tub. The tub flips over and hides it when in camp. (Not while it's running)
GREAT IDEA! A clear plastic tub! (With a 5-foot rattlesnake inside.)

(Not my idea actually. It was that of a hardware store owner in small-town Arkansas which had been broken into repeatedly. He placed a No.2 washtub in the storefront window which had the bottom lined with sand and a cactus growing in it...and a sign..."Beware: Keep children away from the rattlesnake"
Of course, no snake could be seen in the shallow tub.

He no longer had any break-ins.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I've never had anything stolen while camping. I had a small air compressor stolen from my parents garage (by a neighbor, I'm certain.)
My aging parents needed a small air compressor for their garden wheelbarrow, etc. and I gave them one. After a few years it wouldn't pump-up the tank and I spent a couple hours out in their garage disassembling the compressor, cleaning the head and reversing the reed-valves and got it working again. I let it run awhile to show them.
Then we put it back into their garage and closed the door and went out for dinner. We were gone about 3 hours.
When we returned... it was gone. Nothing else but the air compressor. The next door neighbor had a derelict 20-yr old who lived with them and his bedroom blinds were always drawn but he'd have been able to observe my repairs and testing of the compressor. He was always home while his parents worked as he never seemed to have a job.
I called the Houston police who sent an officer out right away and he took the report. When I gave him my opinion, he went next door and knocked on the doors all-around...and of course, no answer. The garage door had an ordinary doorlock...but we had failed to use it. He took the compressor...but left the 25' air hose. The officer stated that pawn shops won't pay money for hoses like they will for compressors. The officer left and I went inside.
Ten minutes later, I noticed the neighbor's kid and his van were gone. I'm sure the compressor was headed for a pawn shop somewhere.
I actually was more pizzed off because of the two hours wasted repairing it for a thief than I was by losing the old compressor. Thieves are opportunists. They observe you...and know when you're gone. If you put even a token obstacle in their way... they'll move on to an easier target. Don't go waste a lot of money on high-dollar deterrents when all you likely need is a very VISIBLE one that says "not me...go find an easier one".
During 6 years of traveling all over the US staying at all sorts of places I have never lost anything nor had I anything stolen while left outside unlocked .
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Growing up, we never locked the doors...house, car, or trailer. Now, always lock up. It doesn’t stop theft. Hopefully it deters it. I keep a clean and tidy campsite which includes locking things up when we are not around; bikes, generator, pedestal surge protector, and hitch. However, we don’t lock the cooler with the beer.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I've never had anything stolen.
I think that's partly due to campers being good people, and partly because I stayed in commercial campgrounds, not boondocking or WalMart surfing. Also, it's different in the west.
I've left coolers sit on picnic tables and bicycles outside with a wimpy cable lock. Back then those were Igloo coolers, not Yeti $$$$.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #69
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Fellow Campers can't even "hear" it when it's running in it's tent.

When away from the CS or traveling it's in it's ActionPacker.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1938.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	305099   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_383.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	305100  

Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Just for the record, I have had my locked truck and car broken into and things stolen several times. It can happen. I do not worry about it a lot camping. But boat ramp parking areas are a different matter. I tend to worry the things that will inconvenience me the most if taken. Like the hitch and parts for it. I will never buy a Yeti cooler just because I do not want the attraction sitting around.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote