Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
What genset for a 15K btu air conditioner

I'm looking for a generator that will power a new Carrier 15K btu air conditioner. From what I can gather, the unit draws about 15 amps for operation, but I'm not sure about the surge needed upon start up. I was told that the unit needs a continuous 3000 watt power supply for smooth operation (not just for startup power). That seems like alot?? It would also take the Yamaha EF3000iSEB out of the running as the genset (even with the extra boost that it offers for startup surges). How big a generator does one need for this air conditioner ?!
Kathy in PA
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Two Honda 2000s in tandem work just fine with our 15K btu unit. Forget piling on the microwave. The hairdryer or toaster might kick them off as well. We have yet to try our 'Like New' Yamaha 3000ise with the 15K unit and would like to sell it.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
I've considered the 2 Honda 2000's, but my trailer is actually a mobile office and I just can't see my pulling on the pull cord-twice-to get the office set up. If it was just once a day that would be one thing, but there is the possibility to be at multiple sites in the course of one day. I really want/need an electric starter.
Kathy
Old 08-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Honda makes a 6500is generator that has 6500 peak and 5500 continuous watts output. It's big and heavy (253 lbs dry) but has electric start. It would easily power everything in your trailer and could be used as backup power for your home.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Are there after market products that can be used to turn a coil start generator into an electric one? The Honda and Yamaha generators that come with electric and remote startup are all more than 100 pounds and would require a ramp to get them into a tow vehicle.

Also, what measures can be taken to prevent a lighter weight generator from disappearing?
westernviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
What breaker size is your air-conditioner required to be on? Continuous use isn't as high as that. You can find that info in the installation instructions.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Maurice,
I haven't purchased the air conditioner yet. The 3000 continuous wattage requirement came from a sales person who has been selling these units for years. He stated that this continuous wattage is necessary due to the computerized componenets in the air conditioner itself(??). I'm not sure what breaker size is required and I don't have any installation instructions. I've not been able to find specs from Carrier. I know I'll need the 15K btu for my trailer and I'm just trying to size a generator so I can make the correct purchase. Ahhhg--Frustrating!!
Kathy
Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Click on your unit here and download the PDF with specs. Just looking at the standard (not low profile) 15,000 btu unit of theirs, it says it needs a 20 amp breaker and draws 14.1 amps under full load. I'd want at least a 3500 watt generator for that. Keep in mind the converter will also be drawing AC power to supply the lights, charging the batteries, etc. The refrigerator, if used and not on gas, will also be drawing roughly 3 amps at times.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Maurice,
Thank you for the info. As my trailer is a mobile office, there will be no refrigerator, microwave, or water heater/pump. Outside of the air conditioner (I'm going with regular-not low profile), my power supplies are fairly minimal. If the running wattage required is 1484, does it spike that high on startup to warrant a 3500+ watt generator?
Kathy
Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault
Maurice,
I haven't purchased the air conditioner yet. The 3000 continuous wattage requirement came from a sales person who has been selling these units for years. He stated that this continuous wattage is necessary due to the computerized componenets in the air conditioner itself(??). I'm not sure what breaker size is required and I don't have any installation instructions. I've not been able to find specs from Carrier. I know I'll need the 15K btu for my trailer and I'm just trying to size a generator so I can make the correct purchase. Ahhhg--Frustrating!!
Kathy
Kathy,

I would respectfully suggest that your 'salesman' stick to selling his products and go back for training in the way that they operate! All new RV air conditioners need a certain higher level of amperage at 120VAC to start the compressor. You will note that the compressor AND the fan motor never come on at the same time. This conserves the initial amperage shock that the units experience, and reduces the overall amperage requirements of the unit.

As far as the 'continuous wattage is necessary due to the computerized components in the air conditioner itself ' statement.....well, here is where I have the problems. The computer controls and relay board that operate the A/C unit do not require 120VAC but rather, operate on 12VDC! This control voltage comes from either the batteries, the converter or both. The A/C unit will not operate without the 12VDC input. The only components within the unit that require 120VAC are the fan motor and the compressor, nothing else!!!

Also, as RoadKingMoe pointed out, the FLA or full load amp draw of the unit is 14.1 amps, or roughly 1700 watts. This spec is created as a benchmark for testing the unit, and is measured at the standardized ambient temp of 95*F and 85% relative humidity. When the unit operates at lower temps/humidity, this amp draw decreases proportionally, but only increases slightly if they go up.

Given the above, a 3000 watt generator like the Yamaha EF3000iSEB should start AND run your unit properly. A 13,5000 BTU unit works perfectly well with the Yamaha EF2400iS, and the extra 600 watts should be plenty to run the slightly larger compressor of the 15,000 BTU unit. IIRC, the fan motors are identical in both units.

Hope this helps!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I agree with Lew. For your use, the boosting 3000W Yamaha should be plenty. It's rated for 2800 watts continuous and can supply enough to start especially with the boost.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault
I'm looking for a generator that will power a new Carrier 15K btu air conditioner. From what I can gather, the unit draws about 15 amps for operation, but I'm not sure about the surge needed upon start up. I was told that the unit needs a continuous 3000 watt power supply for smooth operation (not just for startup power). That seems like alot?? It would also take the Yamaha EF3000iSEB out of the running as the genset (even with the extra boost that it offers for startup surges). How big a generator does one need for this air conditioner ?!
Kathy in PA
i might calc all your elec needs, if your going to be boondocking. battery charging? ice maker?

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
i might calc all your elec needs, if your going to be boondocking. battery charging? ice maker?

kevin
Don't forget the blender.....or do you use a 'Daquiri Whacker' ?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote