Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Birmingham , Alabama
What generator do you suggest for a 1991 Airstream Classic Limited 34'

What generator do you suggest for a 1991 Airstream Classic Limited 34'? It has a 50 Amp Electrical Box, 2 new AC Units, New Olympian Catalytic heater, New water heater LP 6 gal., New MTI Industris 12 volts flush Mount LP/natural gas detector, New Classic Dometic 7.17 CF refrigerator. I really don't want to spend more than $500-$700 or so. I found some generators online for that price range that have 4000 - 5000 Watt Output, but I'm not sure if that's enough to run everything and if they will even work with my Airstream.

Thanks!
auburns2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
For that price range you might find a used 1000 W Honda that will keep the batteries charged...

Or....
A used 6000 W commercial unit that will run both AC units and still have enough $$$ left to buy a box of ear plugs for you to give to anyone camping within 1/4 mile if ya!

Even though I say that with a smile,it's pretty much the simple facts.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Frankly, if you want to buy a new generator that'll run even one of your AC units, in that price range you're looking at a loud, obnoxious contractor special that everyone within 100 yards will despise.

The off-brand pairable 2000-watt models like the Champion will cost close to $500 each, and you'll need a pair to run even one of your AC units. To get the full 50A to run both AC units and everything else electrical at once and be able to hear anything but the generator, you'll want something like a big Honda or Yamaha inverter-based unit.

For those you're looking at something on the order of 6x the price range you quoted, but if you're careful with your use (only one AC unit running at once, basically) you could get by with a pair of the 2000w Champions for $1k or so, or a pair of Yamaha or Honda 2000w generators or one of the 3000w Honda or Yamaha generators (any of which will likely last as long as you want to maintain them) for $2k-ish.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

ARLINGTON , Texas
We have a 97 34' with 2 A/C's also with 50 amp service, and bought a Honda 6500IS generator and love it. It will run the whole trailer both a/c's, converter, everything, and if you are more than about 10 feet from my truck, (which is where the generator stays) you won't know it running, its extremely quite, will not bother anyone. We just got back from a two week 3500 mile trip, and the Honda was great. When we would pull over at a roadside park to eat, i just stretched out my cord from the truck to the trailer and we could use the a/c's, microwave to heat meals, and just sit back and relax. Another benefit of the Honda 6500IS is when its not being used for the trailer, I installed a automatic transfer switch in our house, so if we loose electrical power I can have the Honda running and powering a large portion of our house, but not the A/C's, but it will run the blower for our gas heat. So in my opinion, buy a good Honda or Yamaha thats quite, install a transfer switch at your house and get double duty from your purchase.
HighFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburns2003 View Post
What generator do you suggest for a 1991 Airstream Classic Limited 34'? It has a 50 Amp Electrical Box, 2 new AC Units, New Olympian Catalytic heater, New water heater LP 6 gal., New MTI Industris 12 volts flush Mount LP/natural gas detector, New Classic Dometic 7.17 CF refrigerator. I really don't want to spend more than $500-$700 or so. I found some generators online for that price range that have 4000 - 5000 Watt Output, but I'm not sure if that's enough to run everything and if they will even work with my Airstream.

Thanks!
W=EI.

Wattage is equal to the voltage times the current.

A 50 amp supply at 120 volts AC is 6000 watts.

A generaor should never be loaded more than 80 percent of it's rating.

Therefore if you truly want to effectively use 50 amps, then you need to use a 7500 watt generator.

7500 X 80 percent is 6000 watts, which is your 50 amps.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote