Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
Use Existing Controller with Portable Panel?

I am looking for your input on my plan to add solar to our 2018 Airstream FC25 FB Twin. I have most of the parts, ready to begin.

I plan to add two 100W panels to the roof, one forward curb-side, one rear street-side, connected in parallel. I plan to use two of the three SAE connectors on the roof-mounted factory combiner box. I understand that, as in Zamp installations, these SAE connectors MAY be wired reverse polarity. I will verify that before I begin.

I have purchased a Victron Smart Solar 100/30 controller, and two Blue Seas 30 amp breakers - one for each side of the controller.

In addition, I like the idea of having a portable “suitcase” system. However it seems to me that I am paying for an extra controller that I possibly do not need. For example, if I were able to place another standard 100W panel on the ground in the sun AND conveniently plug it into my roof combiner box this would be great.

This thinking leads me to consider adding another combiner box before the controller, where the portable charging leads would be led to a convenient location, likely one of the outside lockers.

My question: Is this idea worth pursuing? Would adding another combiner box before the controller be a bad thing (i.e. too much loss owing to extra connections)? Any other thoughts? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I would add a separate controller for the suitcase. MPPT controllers optimize identical panels in the same orientation to the sun. Your rooftop panels will likely be mounted flat. Your suitcase will likely be oriented toward the sun and possibly be a different panel. Therefore, the additional controller in the suitcase could optimize to the sun-facing suitcase without sub-optimizing your flat mounted rooftop panels. Here is a quick link I found that explains panel orientation: https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/...ed-to-do-this/
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
Thanks very much for the clarification. Your comments make sense - I had not considered the capabilities of the MPPT controllers. I will keep things simple by either adding a third panel on the roof, or buying a suitcase system with its own controller.
Robin
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote