Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstar View Post
Thanks again folks!

My intention was / is not to ever use gasoline as I don't care for the fumes during storage or the exhaust fumes.

Thanks!

Robert
Las Vegas, NV
Bob,

I can only make recommendations based on my own experience.
I think part of your problem is the dual mode conversion may be designed to run on BOTH and will not perform with the petrol system closed off completely.
I just went out and took some more photos, a lot easier to explain. The fuel system has two lines, feed and return. It took me awhile to figure out which was which, the simple clamp you see is on the feed line. You may need to unseal and re-attach yours. Also it's important to make sure the LPG line to the carb is clear and not kinked, and the gas cap is in the off position. My yellow supply line is a very flexible fuel line for RC planes/cars etc. Makes it a little easier to route the line when the cover is put on. When I first started mine it wouldn't stay running when I put the cover back on. You might try starting yours with the cover/low pressure regulator off. You can see how long the yellow line is, enough to snake it around the obstacles.
FWIW, I picked up a spare cover at the Honda store when I got the tach. The cover with the low pressure regulator, hose and high pressure reg are stored in the bag. The Honda fits great in the Rubbermaid 22gal Action Packer, seals well with no smells in the coach or when carried in the TV.

Keep us posted, we need to get that sucker work'n.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 004.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	72467   Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 006.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	72468  

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 007.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	72469  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Geez, we motor home folk don't seem to have a problem. Sorry, could not resist, this one's propane-powered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1831.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	72470  

Old 12-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Robert Cross, is the propane fed into the air cleaner assembly via that brass fitting in the upper right had corner?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
Robert Cross, is the propane fed into the air cleaner assembly via that brass fitting in the upper right had corner?
No, the brass fitting is the end of the LPG supply line that US Carb installs on the carb venturi itself. The line from the low pressure regulator is attached to that. After several tries that was the easiest place to leave it. It's not real flexable and needs to be as straight as possible with no kinks.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
Finally got a call back from US Carb this morning. The tech said the instructions were a bit off for the 2000i with regards to the load block setting screw. The manual calls for 1-2 turns out and he suggested 6-7 +/- turns out, which is something the other Robert mentioned in his post and showed in his photos. (it's the black hex bolt coming out of the brass piece at the top of the regulator)

Unfortunately, it didn't work that way either but there was a TINY TINY little bit of improvement in that it "sputters" on most series of pull-starts now. By that I mean only while I'm pulling it; there's never any continuation for as much as a second or two. A friend and I tried every variation of choking, pulling, priming etc. for about an hour today until our arms wore out.

Also, I asked the guy about the pre-conversion run time and he said it didn't matter that what I had done would have been more than enough.

Hopefully I'll get a call again tomorrow. I mentioned the Forum postings and they said they're so busy they don't keep up with this anymore. As if I have so much free time that I can afford to waste eight hours on this already... and counting!

Still open to any and all suggestions to get this working and will let you know if they call back.

Robert
Las Vegas, NV
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Bob,
I think part of your problem is the dual mode conversion may be designed to run on BOTH and will not perform with the petrol system closed off completely....

....Also it's important to make sure the LPG line to the carb is clear and not kinked, and the gas cap is in the off position....

...You might try starting yours with the cover/low pressure regulator off. You can see how long the yellow line is, enough to snake it around the obstacles.......

FWIW, I picked up a spare cover at the Honda store when I got the tach..

Keep us posted, we need to get that sucker work'n.
Thanks again Robert and crew; I asked about the dual set up having to have both fuels and the Tech said as long as the gasoline lines are capped we're fine.

One point you make though is your routing of the propane supply line. Since US Carb did my carb they supplied it with about a 6" hose and brass fitting, then a very thick 5/8" + line to connect there and go to the load screw block on the regulator. I chose to run my line down and out at the bottom through a grommet so I could still open the cover easily. It could be that my feedline turns back too sharply but I know it's not kinked or at least it doesn't look that way when I'm closing the cover. It will be a simple test tomorrow to remove the airfilter and reroute it with the cover off. I'll try anything at this point.

The spare cover idea for storage / transport... priceless!

Tomorrow I'm packing but will try the reroute AND I'll take some photos to show.

Thanks a million!

Robert
Las Vegas, NV
Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have a Yamaha 2400 that I bought already converted from US Carb. I've never had a problem with it. All of the above starting tips are valid- particularly the one out bout getting all the air out of the LP line. I use my BBQ on the same line and I hve to bleed the air on that also.

Their response to customers is their weak point. They always delivered on schedule, but my inquiries were never answered.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Just one thought.. I've had a tank with a bad OPD valve once... have you checked to see if you're getting the right pressure from the tank? Hook it up to a grill to check... and get some good dinner too.

My OPD got stuck in the closed position from being opened to rapidly.. I had taken it back to the propane place.. turning it upside down and hitting it on the ground got it open again! (not for the faint of heart).

Best of luck with the conversion!
Marc
Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstar View Post
I chose to run my line down and out at the bottom through a grommet so I could still open the cover easily. It could be that my feedline turns back too sharply but I know it's not kinked or at least it doesn't look that way when I'm closing the cover. It will be a simple test tomorrow to remove the airfilter and reroute it with the cover off. I'll try anything at this point.

The spare cover idea for storage / transport... priceless!

Tomorrow I'm packing but will try the reroute AND I'll take some photos to show.

Thanks a million!

Robert
Las Vegas, NV
Bob,
That is exactly why I used the hobby shop supply line and routed as shown in the photo. The heavy line they supplied is routed over the top of the air cleaner and as you can see is barely long enough to make the connection. The long yellow supply line is looped around so as not to kink anywhere. Look forward to seeing the photos.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Well I'm scared off from US Carb. Just bought my second Eu2000i (the Companion) which was from Speedway (saved a fortune compared to the first from Camping World.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
A good idea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Just one thought.. I've had a tank with a bad OPD valve once... have you checked to see if you're getting the right pressure from the tank? Hook it up to a grill to check... and get some good dinner too.

My OPD got stuck in the closed position from being opened to rapidly.. I had taken it back to the propane place.. turning it upside down and hitting it on the ground got it open again! (not for the faint of heart).

Best of luck with the conversion!
Marc

That test would be a good idea! I recently bought a portable Weber grill, extra portable tank and connecting hose. The grill would simply not work for more than a fraction of a second (read: sputter, sputter of your generator) on the portable tank, while it worked fine when hooked directly to the Airstream's 30# propane bottles. Returned the whole shebank to Camping World, and the folks there gave me a new hose to try (in the parking lot) and with that hose, it worked just fine. They explained that sometimes there are small tolerance stacking issues with the valves and hoses, such that despite supposed "interchangeability," some hoses won't work with some valves, etc. No problems since. So: you MIGHT have a hose / tank valve incompatibility issue that's just limiting propane flow to a trickle ... enough to get a sputter but not enough to make it run.

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlay View Post
Well I'm scared off from US Carb. Just bought my second Eu2000i (the Companion) which was from Speedway (saved a fortune compared to the first from Camping World.
Don't be scared. If I can do it, you can do it, plus it works great.

RLC

RLC
Old 12-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
Sorry for the slight delay getting back with an update.

Since my last post US Carb called and sent me a new on-demand regulator, a new load block and some new hose. Unfortunately I wasted most of Christmas day swapping it all out with no better results than I had before. I even tried a third propane tank.

US Carb sent a PNG brand on-demand regulator instead of the original Garrisson. You can see in the photos that I've tried to reroute my fuel lines to be as straight and bend free as possible. I even tried to follow Robert Cross's advice and went to two different hobby shops for that thinner yellow fuel line used for RC cars but they don't have it in 1/4" ID to fit my fittings.

Basically, I still just get some sputtering and that is it. I know I'm getting fuel since if I press the little purge button enough I can smell the propane.

Any all suggestions still welcome.

Thanks!

Robert

Here are a few photos of the installation and a link to more detailed photos: ** Don't seem to be able to upload the photos here but the link works **

Web link to all photos: honda_photos

Overall shot of system opened for testing

Closer shot of opened system

Closer shot with side panel off

Routing of the propane fuel feed line without airfilter in place

Close up of carburetor gasoline nipple and gasoline fuel line sealed off

Shot of the system with panel on

Old 12-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Quietly putt's away in it's own tent.
Hi Robert,

Why do you run your gen in a tent? Does it help with noise? Any tricks to that you can share?