Old 09-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreaker
We have a Honda 2000 generator and carry it on the frame just behind the propane tanks. It fits snugly between the tank cover and the front front panel of the Airstream. Our's is a 28ft so that may not work on the 25, but you might try it. Just as information, we also have solar panels and they work great most of the time, but clouds and trees are the enemies of solar energy so the generator often comes in handy. An added benefit of solar is that we don't have to listen to the humm of the converter when plugged into AC.
That's what I was going to suggest, that they look for a way to modify the front to carry it.
I don't think carrying it on its side is going to work because oil can flood the top cylinder heads. Think that is why they tell you to store it upright.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
EU 2000i under $900

FYI - I picked up my 2000i from the friendly folks at H**** Equipment (not sure if I can make blatant plugs on the forum) in OK for under $900. With shipping to AZ it came in around $920. Check the Honda website for dealers. I plan to get a 2nd one and the parallel kit before next summer. That and our solar panels keep us well powered in the boonies.
Ken

Old 09-11-2004, 10:41 AM   #17
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
FYI - I picked up my 2000i from the friendly folks at H**** Equipment (not sure if I can make blatant plugs on the forum) in OK for under $900. With shipping to AZ it came in around $920. Check the Honda website for dealers. I plan to get a 2nd one and the parallel kit before next summer. That and our solar panels keep us well powered in the boonies.
Ken
Ken,

You can shamelessly plug whomever you want, IMHO.

Go for it!
Old 09-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Shameless plug for...

Well all right it's Hayes Equipment. Looks like both Hondas are currently out of stock, but I'd give them a call. The Yamaha is in stock.
Ken
Old 09-11-2004, 04:22 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
We have a Honda 2000 generator and carry it on the frame just behind the propane tanks. It fits snugly between the tank cover and the front front panel of the Airstream. Our's is a 28ft so that may not work on the 25, but you might try it. Just as information, we also have solar panels and they work great most of the time, but clouds and trees are the enemies of solar energy so the generator often comes in handy. An added benefit of solar is that we don't have to listen to the humm of the converter when plugged into AC.
SilverStreaker,

Looks like you are in AZ too. I'm located in Surprise. You placed yours behind the propane tanks. One might fit there on my 2005 25' but it would have to sit on top of the battery housing. How did you secure yours in that location?

Thanks,
Old 09-11-2004, 05:09 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Neil,

Yes, we are in Sun Lakes, AZ (Near Chandler). We strap ours down with heavy duty shock cords, and to deter theft we attach a heavy duty cable and lock when we are not in the area.

Our batteries are on either side of the frame, so they are not in the way. There is a storage area welded into and even with the top of the frame just behind the propane tanks and the generator sits on that. If I can find some short one gallon gas containers they will go in the storage compartment under the generator.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:56 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Neil,

Yes, we are in Sun Lakes, AZ (Near Chandler). We strap ours down with heavy duty shock cords, and to deter theft we attach a heavy duty cable and lock when we are not in the area.

Our batteries are on either side of the frame, so they are not in the way. There is a storage area welded into and even with the top of the frame just behind the propane tanks and the generator sits on that. If I can find some short one gallon gas containers they will go in the storage compartment under the generator.
My batteries are in a box, behind the propane tanks, and the battery box top is flush with the top of the hitch frame. I wonder if it is advisable to carry a generator, loaded with fuel, on top of the battery box due to the possibility of fuel/fumes leakage down into the battery box? Perhaps placing the generator into a plastic box before strapping down onto the battery box might be a solution.

Any recommendations folks?

BTW, have you been out to Alamo Lake State Park, west of Wickenburg? Solitude to the maximum, and hookups if you like.....

Thanks,
Old 09-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #22
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
You might want to check out my post on the Bambi forum with pix showing how I mounted my honda generators on either side of the propane/battery area. I tested it this weekend and it works great. Doesn't seem to cut down my turning radius and I can plug in and run the generators anytime without moving a thing except for plugging the cord in.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=13142

02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote