Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Yah... dragging this thread off topic a bit.. but I think we all covered the direct connect pretty much to the end didn't we?

Not putting the solar panel up on top. I don't trust that me (or anyone for that matter) isn't going to mess it up and I'll have leaks.

Besides a panel that I can adjust at ground level makes more sense to me. Something to tinker about with
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
I have both a 1000i Honda. When we bought it, I asked the salesman about using the DC output to charge a battery. He said that since it was unregulated that he would not use it. He recommended plugging a battery charger into the generator to charge the battery. I have used this many times to charge my boat batteries when camping.

For our trailers, I just plugged the trailer into the generator and let the inverter do its job.

Jeff
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Rothbury , Michigan
I was wondering, as a newbie to generators an travel trailers, where you store the generators? I was told i can't mount one, even a small one, on the tongue, but i don't really want to lift them, either, as i'm not that strong or big. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
chandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandles
I was wondering, as a newbie to generators an travel trailers, where you store the generators? I was told i can't mount one, even a small one, on the tongue, but i don't really want to lift them, either, as i'm not that strong or big. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
Where and what size you carry depends on what you want them to do.

I'll use Honda's for my examples.

I have a eu1000 that I use for battery charging. Usually in Winter as the furnace is a battery drainer. It's light and small and has a sealing gascap. It's usually in a milk crate in the back of the truck or in the trucks rear seat.

Lots of folks use two eu2000's with a paralell kit so they wind up with a 4000.
in summer to run the A/C, fridge, microwave etc. Several have mounted them on the tongue and many carry them in their vehicle. They really are not that heavy.

I also have a eu3000 that once again is in the back of the truck for Summer A/C use. It is a tad heavy. I've seen them wheeled up ramps and horsed in. Something like a Spitzlift is a one handed no effort way to load.

Others have mounted all sizes of Gensets by adding a hitch to the front of their vehicle and mounting on hitch trays. Neat way to go if you don't have a truck.

Really it comes down to what you need for your kind of camping.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote