Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Unable to reconnect to Victron 100/20

Hello,

I'm trying to reconnect to my Smartsolar 100/20 MPPT controller and my phone doesn't see it. I was connected initially when I installed it but I disconnected my battery cables for storage, and now that I'm out camping I can't reconnect.

I can connect to the BMV-712 and can see that I'm getting a charge from the controller (and yellow light is on indicating absorption mode) but bluetooth cannot find the MPPT controller. BTW I have no jumper on the controller.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First thought is that it's not up and running. Are any of the lights on the MPPT lit?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

First thought is that it's not up and running. Are any of the lights on the MPPT lit?

Bob
Yep, it's up and working. Yellow light is on now, but it's been through all lights this morning. BMV-712 shows a charge from it.

When I pulled it out if storage and tried to connect, it wasn't listed in the Victron Connect device list, but was listed as paired in my bluetooth app. Tried and tried to have VC find it again but no go. So I unpaired it in bluetooth and haven't seen it since.

Could the bluetooth on it fail? Seems odd. Tried everything I can think of on the phone (Samsung Note 8) so I'm beginning to suspect the controller's bluetooth.

Any ideas?

Mike
Old 09-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Bluetooth can indeed fail. The other thing is that Victron is pretty specific about hooking up battery first and solar second on the MPPT's. There may be some sort of reset process you mess up if solar comes on ahead of battery. If so then:

1) disconnect everything
2) let it sit for two minutes
3) hook up the battery first
4) wait for it to boot and see if you can connect
5) then hook up solar

On my "spare" MPPT that process cured a connection error to the Venus hub.

Bob
Old 09-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Thanks Bob, it's worth a try. Although if that's the case, I'll have to figure out a new storage strategy for avoiding parasitic drains.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by marter View Post
Thanks Bob, it's worth a try. Although if that's the case, I'll have to figure out a new storage strategy for avoiding parasitic drains.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi

Turns out that the MPPT really does not pull a lot of parasitic current. I just leave mine on the battery side of the disconnect.

Bob
Old 09-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I tried to see my Victron solar charger on my iPhone 7 yesterday, same symptoms, was there on the device list, vanished when I clicked on it, and still there on the bluetooth list. I suspect it was an update that killed the app.
I tried an older iPad, minutes later and it ran on the 'pad.

My guess updates killed it. Updates also make my music disappear and have to reload from the cloud.
My guess on this, Verizon gets to charge freight every time so a bigger memory won't help if the firmware dumps it on purpose.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Turns out that the MPPT really does not pull a lot of parasitic current. I just leave mine on the battery side of the disconnect.

Bob
I meant all parasitic loads, not the MPPT. I dont have a switch so I disconnect the neg cables when I store.

I can't disconnect the solar, didn't bring the right socket. Have to try it when I get home.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I tried to see my Victron solar charger on my iPhone 7 yesterday, same symptoms, was there on the device list, vanished when I clicked on it, and still there on the bluetooth list. I suspect it was an update that killed the app.
I tried an older iPad, minutes later and it ran on the 'pad.

My guess updates killed it. Updates also make my music disappear and have to reload from the cloud.
My guess on this, Verizon gets to charge freight every time so a bigger memory won't help if the firmware dumps it on purpose.
Possible, my android did an update recently. If so, odd that I still connect to the battery monitor, just not the solar controller. No other bluetooth devices with me. I'll try the reset Uncle Bob suggested when I can.

Thanks for the reply,
Mike
Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Turn your mppt controller on and off, or shut the panels off for a second. Then retry. Sometimes in the morning when the sun comes up the power is so low it won’t “activate” the Bluetooth. This happens when it is connected a specific way.

Mine does this every day. I can read it on the phone. Then sun goes down and no power, it goes off. Next morning it won’t read until I do a quick reset. There is a way to fix this. In my case it’s moving the negative line from solar charger from BMS to another location.

The amsolar guys helped me figure it out. I may change it over the winter. It doesn’t stop it from charging just connecting the Bluetooth
Old 09-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Thanks for the reply Troutboy. Sounds like I need to make a change in the wiring. My controller is under the front dinette seat and not real convenient to access.

When you say "turn the controller off" are you disconnecting the wires? Don't know if another way to turn it off and on unless you have a disconnect switch. And I don't really have a spot to mount one that's accessible. At least in my DW's view.

So your wiring solution is to move the neg battery wire going from the controller to the BMV shunt to another connection? Won't I lose solar input monitoring? Where are you planning to connect it?

While I have you, my understanding of the MPPT controller is that it's going off battery voltage only, not SOC. I'm not likely to add the GX or CCGX so would I gain anything by networking my Smartsolar MPPT and BMV-712 over bluetooth, like making the controller aware of SOC? May not make a difference in my simple setup.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Mike. The way I turn off my controller is by flipping a switch I have from the solar panels. I had a disconnect switch to allow me to disconnect the solar panels from the system if needed.

I was told by am solar to switch the negative connection from the output side of BMS to input side. I’ll double check, and confirm. I need to find the email from them.

Mine is also hard to get to so I just decided to leave it.

So every morning, I flip that disconnect switch. Turn it off for a few seconds, and then in, and I get the Bluetooth monitoring.

I’m not sure about connecting or bridging with the BMV.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Thanks. I may opt for the switch and hide it as best I can. Did you use a Blue Sea rotary switch?

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 09-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Yes. I used a 4 way blue sea. I needed this as I wanted to be able to have the following positions:

1. Off
2. Roof solar only
3. Portable solar only
4. Roof and portable combined.

I am providing a link below to where I documented my solar install. It’s very long now with comments and such. It does provide pictures and diagrams of how I did my system if interested.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-a-162955.html
Old 09-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Mike,

I used AMSoalr for all of my parts. Their service was outstanding and they are still answering my questions a year later. I would highly recommend folks buy from them. anyway, when I was having the issue you mentioned, this is what they said:

"Solar monitoring issue: if your not using the cold weather protection system then you can connect the solar negative to the LB (right post) instead of the AB (left post). This will supply constant power to the charge controller and keep the dongle working at all time. I believe this issue is caused by the Bluetooth dongle being started with low voltage from the morning sun."

Thanks
Rich
Old 09-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Rich,

Thanks again for the replies and the link to your thread. I've read it before but then it wasn't quite as pertinent to me as it is now. Your diagram helps alot. I also have roof and portable solar and intend to wire the 4 way to give me the functionality you have.

I'm not sure I understand their response on wiring the solar neg to avoid the problem. Let me think about it and may have questions.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Mike,

Do you have the Victron BMS 12/200? If you are looking down on it, on the left is a negative input post labeled chassis. On the right side is a negative post labeled load minus.

On my current install, I have the negative output from the MPPT controller connected to the Chassis post. I need to move it to the load minus post for the Bluetooth to always be on.

Hope this helps
Thx
Old 09-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
No BMS, just the BMV-712 and 100/20 MPPT controller. Any thoughts on how to modify my wiring to accomplish the same?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Hmmmmm. Not sure, do you have a wiring diagram of how it’s set up?
Old 09-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The BMS 12/200 is pretty specific to the Victron lithium batteries. If you are using Battle Born batteries, they already have a BMS built into them. What works for one isn't going to be best for the other.

The simple answer to keeping the solar powered up will be to run it past your disconnect device. That means it charges all the time and pulls parasitic current all the time. Simple setup: Negative from MPPT direct to battery negative post. Positive from the MPPT direct to battery positive post.

Bob