Old 07-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Two Honda EU2000s, Eco mode, and A/C

Hi All,

Wondering what the consensus was regarding using Eco mode on two Honda EU2000s hooked in parallel when running the air conditioning? Will they rev up fast enough for the A/C, or is it best to run the gens with Eco off (which is what I'm currently doing)?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jeff

You will get the most accurate answer by running your generators in eco mode and see what happens. I suspect they will work fine, but you won't know for sure until you try it.

Dan

Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Haven't tried using ECO mode with air conditioner, but microwave is OK. You can hear engine in generator slow slightly, then immediately rev up. I suspect that the generator would do the same with the air conditioner.

Owners manual instructions say ECO mode should be turned OFF, if high-current load is present. Please note that instructions seem to imply "multiple high-current loads", although this is unclear. However, this may be specified to reduce constant throttling up and down as load changes.

With ECO mode ON, I suspect that there is a slight "brown-out" when the compressor cycles on; so I personally turn ECO mode OFF to prevent damaging the air conditioning unit. However, this is just my opinion, which may be incorrect.

==============

Extract from Honda EU2000i Owner's Manual:

ECO-THROTTLE SWITCH

The Eco-Throttle system automatically reduces engine speed when all loads are turned off or disconnected. When appliances are turned on or reconnected, the engine returns to the proper speed to power the electrical load.

If high electrical loads are connected simultaneously, turn the Eco-Throttle switch to the OFF position to reduce voltage changes.

When using the DC output, turn the Eco-Throttle switch to the OFF position.

ON: Recommended to minimize fuel consumption and further reduce noise levels when no load is applied to the generator.

OFF: The Eco-Throttle system does not operate.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I'll have to find my owner's manual, but I seem to remember it said not to use eco throttle when using two units with the parallel cables.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I run my Honda 3000 in Eco mode w/air all the time. No problem. Of course I don't try to run anything else at the same time. I've let it run all night long that way and it uses very little gas. I'm sure your double 2000's will handle it.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have my owner's manual sitting right here - we just got our second unit Friday.

The manual for the parallel cables says, "If high electrical loads are connected, turn the Eco-Throttle switch to the OFF position to reduce voltage changes." So that implies it's okay to leave it on in general.

The manual for the generator simply says both switches must be in the same positions - either both off or both on. That makes sense.

We tested our dual generator setup using the AC in the camper, and without realizing it I'd left both Eco-Switches ON. It started the compressor in the AC just fine, and it was working normally. As someone said, you hear the generators spool up a bit for a moment but that's to be expected. So I think you're good to go.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for the replies. Regarding Eco mode and the Parallel Cable kit, the instructions (with the kit) say just to make sure Eco mode is set the same on both generators.

I, too, am worried about an initial brown out when the compressor kicks on.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Works just fine for us; however, if we're going to use the microwave or fire up the water heater, we change the settings. At times, even then the breaker will trip or the generators will go into overload setting. Love those Hondas.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I have my owner's manual sitting right here - we just got our second unit Friday.

The manual for the parallel cables says, "If high electrical loads are connected, turn the Eco-Throttle switch to the OFF position to reduce voltage changes." So that implies it's okay to leave it on in general.

The manual for the generator simply says both switches must be in the same positions - either both off or both on. That makes sense.

We tested our dual generator setup using the AC in the camper, and without realizing it I'd left both Eco-Switches ON. It started the compressor in the AC just fine, and it was working normally. As someone said, you hear the generators spool up a bit for a moment but that's to be expected. So I think you're good to go.
Mine says the same thing. They say rhe memory is the second thing to go. I forget what the first thing is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettjl View Post
Thanks for the replies. Regarding Eco mode and the Parallel Cable kit, the instructions (with the kit) say just to make sure Eco mode is set the same on both generators.

I, too, am worried about an initial brown out when the compressor kicks on.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
You have a newer unit and I suspect the air conditioner may have the "soft start" set up on it. That works well with the Eco setting in that it allows the generator to spool up prior to dumping the full compressor load on it.

I run a 37 year old Armstrong Baybreeze, it does not like the generators to be on Eco setting. When it kicks in, it kicks in and I have had a breaker pop more than once with the generator on Eco setting. So we leave that setting off, if we are using the AC. YMMV

I think there is a way to put a soft start kit on the Baybreeze, just haven't bothered to check into it at this point.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I think there is a way to put a soft start kit on the Baybreeze, just haven't bothered to check into it at this point.

Aaron
I think it's a really large capacity capacitor.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I think it's a really large capacity capacitor.
That is my understanding, some I have seen include a small circuit board of some sort. I know they are available for a wide range of high draw appliances.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We ran our Honda 1000w genny for 24 hours straight on eco throttle powering a 5,000 btu a/c unit, 2 lights sometomes, a tv and a laptop. No problems. Just try it.

Dan