Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
KY
I think what you are seeing is the resigual (remaining oil) that was used to test that gennie at the Honda factory. I thought mine had oil too until I started to add and found it took the required amount,opps sorry dont remember the amount. I put in what I have in the shop SAE 30 fer now. I use that In everything Customers and mine.
I am going to try and find two of those containers to haul and store my 2000's in they look perfect.

Hey Mike:

We originally ordered the Rubbermaid Action Packer from another source, then literally w/in an hour found it cheaper at Lowe's. I canceled my order and went down to our local Lowe's and got one. Saved a few bucks & the shipping/handling. Hope to see you again, maybe at another Dogwoods & Bluegrass Rally?

Regards, Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
delivered full as a courtesy from the vendor
I seem to remember Honda requiring their distributors to add oil before customer takes delivery, it is a certain way to keep neophyte motor heads from burning up a new Honda. Was the carton factory sealed?

The last Harmony mower I purchased had exactly twice the normal fill amount in the crankcase - talk about paranoid!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #103
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
I drained and refilled with Mobile 1......started and ran 1/4 tank of fuel through both.....nice units.....
Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Well, we finally sold the B190 (and its built-in generator), so I ordered a Honda EU2000i last night! (We'll get the companion and cables for it later.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
After wrangling over solar vs. gennies for months, I finally pulled the trigger last week and got the EU2000I / EU2000I Companion combo pack from Wise last week.
Have run them about an hour each, just to check them out. VERY nice little machines. I also went out to Lowes and picked up the Action Packers. 2Air is right....the ultimate Gennie house. Now, if I could just figure out why the 1 gallon Rotopax jugs are so expensive!

Has anyone found a similar brand which are only 3" thick?
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #106
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
dzn,

Looks like they are made to carry on ATV's and Sno-sleds, kind of a rough ride there. Don't think the AS requires such a robust container.

Our 2000i has been converted for dual use, but i still carry a 1 1/2 gal. plastic gas container in the tongue box with no problem.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07751.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	140025  
Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
dzn,

Looks like they are made to carry on ATV's and Sno-sleds, kind of a rough ride there. Don't think the AS requires such a robust container.

Our 2000i has been converted for dual use, but i still carry a 1 1/2 gal. plastic gas container in the tongue box with no problem.

Bob
Yeah, I get that. I just like the fact that, at 3" thick, two 1 gallon jugs could ride inside each Actionpacker beside the Gen. But $200 for four of them!!!!!!!
I'll do it some other way.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have watched and asked and researched on the use of generators, the only advantage to paying the added price of the hondas is the fact that they are low noise. The issue of computers also came into question and I did not know but my laptop charger is actually already set for the minor fluxuations that occur in power. Given that I dont boondock, but will be using it for stopping long enough to sleep at night on long trips, and any short period stops during the day when I need to lay down because of my medical conditions for a few hours and need A/C, the regular gens will searve my purpose for those few times it will be used on the road, and then used at home during winter power outs at home means I am going to just save some money and get a regular generator. Not only that in 3-4 years the wife and I are going to sell the AS and purchase a motor home as it will be only me and her and MH's have gens. 10 years down the road we will be selling the house and full time in the MH. Now which gen I buy will be the next Question?

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Okay - phrase the generator question as 'best value' and then have Honda filled in as the answer?

Resale value of a Eu (Yamaha too) is much higher than anything comparable on the market. Pay the premium up front and receive the premium back when you pass it along.

A well maintained Eu2000 can go 2000 hours before shaking itself apart, the Eu3000 double that - I've got off-the-grid friends in the Colorado Front Range that bought them as construction generators and still have them running 6-8 years later with six or eight months continuous run time accumulated. There is false economy going with units made to last 100 or 200 hours.

Calculated fuel efficiency of the Eu3000 is higher than any other gasoline powered generator in its size range - the Eu2000 is quite good comparably too. (Yamaha, true Subaru and other 1st tier units are all good also) Yes, its only $4 a gallon but what is your time worth dealing with refills and restarting a unit that ran dry?

And the hush factor of the silenced units - I bought Kipor (licensed the Honda design back when I could get two for the price of one Honda and its a hushed design) and could not imagine having a noisier generator. I've pulled into a rest stop along Lake Erie at 2AM an -10°F and parked near two construction trucks each with a running Eu2000 chained to their bumpers and it didn't interfere with sleep or comfort whatsoever. Best thing with hushed design is the very small STEAL ME alert from running sound if you can keep it out of plain view
Old 09-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #110
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Best thing with hushed design is the very small STEAL ME alert from running sound if you can keep it out of plain view"

Yep..If I run it in here it's 10db less likely to be pilfered. And on LPG you can't even smell it.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 140.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	140239  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Got our generator today! I accidentally ordered a Companion model rather than the regular EU2000i, but that's okay - we'd planned to get both eventually anyway, and now the more expensive one is out of the way. (We'll get the regular one and the cables together.)

I promptly overfilled the oil - nice design on the catch piece for that. Then it took me a bit to get it started - I was starting to get worried - but it fired up! I've seen them running before but I forgot how quiet they really are. I hooked it to the camper and it was running the fridge and the fan in the rooftop A/C. I ran it for 15 minutes or so.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #112

Round Rock , Texas
adapter plug

I just got my tri fuel 2000i lined out and running on propane.
I bought it for backup here on the coast for the house, but intend to add an airstream soon to also use this with.
When I was growing up, we had a 27 and 31 foot airstream I really enjoyed. Now I am much older, and remembering the fun, decided to get back into it.
My question:
The standard eu2000i will run the trailer, minus the a/c. Ok. So, which shore power adapter do I need for the standard 110 plug on the standard 2000i?
I went to the wise.com website and they have what I see as two types. The twist-lock, and another one. Which to use? And did airstream change connectors for shore power over the years?
Love the website!
gatorfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Parallel Cables and Rain Protection

Back in 2003 when I purchased a pair of Hondas the dealer sold me a set of "parallel cables" before I realized that without the auxillary 30 amp RV plug set-up they were useless. At that time Honda did not offer the companion gen - although I noticed that the very cable set I was sold is today used to operate the companion gen. The 30 amp RV plug setup I had to purchase, with the "attached" parallel cables, ran about $220.00 - if my memory is correct. I've often wondered what the simple parallel cable set I was sold could have actually accomplished - but as time went on I forgot about it. Now that this thread has reminded me I would still like to know --- if anyone has the answer??? As for running the generators in the rain I can't imagine that it would hurt anything - although I've never had the occasion to do so. We never protected our construction generators, or shut them off when it was raining, and they were a lot less protected than the Hondas. One final thought: The parallel box set up - with the 30 amp RV plug - is well-built and it works fine - but it is just one more piece of equipment to deal with. I haven't seen a companion Honda but I was wondering if it would'nt be a fairly simple task to add the necessary components and panel to convert one of my Hondas to a companion gen?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfrey View Post
I just got my tri fuel 2000i lined out and running on propane.
I bought it for backup here on the coast for the house, but intend to add an airstream soon to also use this with.
When I was growing up, we had a 27 and 31 foot airstream I really enjoyed. Now I am much older, and remembering the fun, decided to get back into it.
My question:
The standard eu2000i will run the trailer, minus the a/c. Ok. So, which shore power adapter do I need for the standard 110 plug on the standard 2000i?
I went to the wise.com website and they have what I see as two types. The twist-lock, and another one. Which to use? And did airstream change connectors for shore power over the years?
Love the website!
Using a Standard Model 2000i you will need an adapter that has the standard male 15-amp plug on one side (or end if it's the pigtail type) and the standard 30-amp female on the other side (or the other end if it's a pigtail type)...that allows you to plug your standard 30-amp male plug into the generator.

Using a Campanion Model 2000i...which has a female twist-n-turn outlet...you will need an adapter that has a male 30-amp twist-n-turn plug on one side (or end) and the standard 30-am female on the other side (end)...

Pic #1: 15-amp male to standard 30-amp female...

Pic #2: 30-amp twist-n-turn male to standard 30-amp female...
Attached Images

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple, generator