2014 25FB Flying Cloud
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Two generators

I have one Honda 2000 that I use most of the time for recharging batteries in the trailer, watching TV, etc I also carry a Yamaha 2800 which I use sparingly to run the air conditioner if it is especially hot when we boondock. That generator also can run the microwave, which limits the heat output into the trailer on a hot day.
They are stored in the back of the Toyota Tundra and they are protected with a cap. If it rains I can still use them since they are covered. Sometimes I run a fan to let some of the heat get out of the bed of the truck. This set up has worked for us for many years.
Since we have not had power since Sunday, because of the hurricane, the Yamaha has been running all day to provide power to the refrigerator and freezer in the house. The Honda has been running to give us light, TV, phone, computer, run the sump pump etc. Both generators run all day on a tank of gas. wolf146

Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelegood View Post
Hey TBRich:

Thanks for the useful information re: the tote. However I've been looking for the 24 gal. action packer tote w/o success. I found one but the handles are on the front. You stated that the handle of your generator fits inside one of the grooves on the lid. After buying one action packer (latch on the front) I can't get the generator into it except left to right whereas the handle does not fit in any groove b/c it sits in the wrong direction, and leaves little room for anything else. It's impossible to get it to sit facing front to back w/o forcing it to turn? Do you have the same problem, and force the generator to fit front to back, so as the handle will fit in one of the grooves? so you have room for accessories for the generator?

Thanks for your helpful information. I've never used a portable generator and am excited to have one! Your comment about extra cables was also terribly helpful information. Additionally, no one ever mentioned I would need an adapter for the twist lock plug. Again more useful information. Any other comments you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Terry.
The Rubbermaid Action Packer (24 gal) we have has the handles on the ends and the grooves on the underside of the lid run lengthwise and the handle of the genny slips right in if you put it off-center slightly...and store the accessories on one side on the genny....it's just like the one in my post and that shown in Robert Cross' post #79... try Ace Hardware. I know you can get them online. Here's a listing on Amazon.com: Amazon.com: rubbermaid 1172

Hope this helps...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, a few more things about electric. This is dated but the principle should be about the same. In Europe they use 50 Hz and here [USA] we use 60 Hz. This is critical on timed devises like record players, reel to reel tape players, and 120 volt wall clocks. I had a Sony reel to reel tape player and it came with two pinch wheels, one for 50 Hz and the other for 60 Hz for the correct tape speed. As for the question on the Yamaha 2400; They can use the same extended fuel tank as the Honda 2000, but with a gas cap made for the Yamaha.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
TBRich:

Thanks for the information. Helps a lot. Have one ordered.

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have a question about the Honda generators, specifically the 2000 "Companion" model: can it be used by itself? From the pictures I've seen, it doesn't have any 15 amp outlets that would be used if it were running solo; the outlets on it seem to be marked only for operation with a regular 2000.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yes, you can use the Honda 2000i Companion by itself. We have one. It has one regular household outlet and one 30-amp outlet (it's a twist-n-turn, so you need an adapter so you can plug a standard shore line into it). It has no 12 volt outlet, however. You can see both outlets in my post #61...it has an adapter in place in the 30-amp plug-in...the regular household plug-in is next to it.
Unit #3954
Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #92
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
pulled the plug and ordered the combo package EU2000i, companion EU2000i with Parallel cables and RV plug Adapter from wisesales.com few days ago....came home today and had two large boxes on front porch...Wise does a wonderful job shipping these out and packaging them well....

I am sorta confused as the pull start says "NO OIL" on a tag...but both units seem to have been shipped with oil... haven't had a chance to run them yet.....

I recommend Wise......
Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I would be very surprised if they were shipped with oil in them. Take off the side cover and check the oil dip stick to make sure they have oil in them BEFORE cranking them up! You should be able to see the oil in the oil port. The tags come on the pull start to remind people to put oil in them before starting.
Unit #3954
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
KyMoonshine, when we got our Hondas, I thought the same thing. However, when you start adding oil, you'll see that there is only a minimal amount in the crankcase. This is probably the remainder from when it was assembled at the factory, probably what they installed so the parts weren't dry when they hand or machine cranked it to make sure that everything turned over OK. Also, this small amount probably prevents corrosion during storage and shipment, while reducing the chance of leakage.

I once toured an auto engine rebuilding factory, and they used a dynomometer to "run the engine in" and make sure all the parts functioned correctly as part of their final inspection. They didn't run fuel to the engine, but instead used a dynomometer to turn the crank shaft so that they could circulate oil through the engine, measure cylinder compression, watch for loose or missing parts, etc. It looked, acted and sounded exactly like the engine was running, except for the lack of fuel.

They let the engine "run" for about 5-10 minutes, then measured the current required to crank the engine at a certain RPM. If a specific current was exceeded, they knew that something was binding or installed correctly, like bearings, etc.; and if it was low (usually accompanied by some strange sounds), probably something was missing, like piston rings. If everything passed, they drained the crankcase and packaged the engine up. So, short of running fuel through the engine, they could be sure that everything was working OK. However, this allowed the engine to be shipped without ever having gasoline in the lines, and with only the residual oil in the crankcase, since they drained the excess and only whatever continued to drip down from the top of the engine remained after the bulk of the oil was drained.

I'm sure they don't want any fuel or a large amount of oil leaking during shipment, due to the mess and potential fire hazard.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #95
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Our 2000i was delivered full as a courtesy from the vender. Ran it for several hrs and changed to synthetic...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #96
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
they both seem completely full.....but I think I will drain them and add new oil anyway...what oil do you guys run?

also...how are you securing your little generators when using them? so lite they would be easy to carry off.....
Old 09-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #97
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
they both seem completely full.....but I think I will drain them and add new oil anyway...what oil do you guys run?

also...how are you securing your little generators when using them? so lite they would be easy to carry off.....
If we are going to be away from the campsite, I drop the Honda into it's 24gal Rubbermaid Action Packer and set in the AS. I sealed the lid, no fumes. At the site it runs in a small 4 person tent, out of sight less temptation.

First season I used Mobil 1 10-30, last four Amsoil XLT 10-30.
Oil change every Spring regardless the hrs used.

Bob
Attached Images

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Yes, you can use the Honda 2000i Companion by itself. We have one. It has one regular household outlet and one 30-amp outlet (it's a twist-n-turn, so you need an adapter so you can plug a standard shore line into it). It has no 12 volt outlet, however. You can see both outlets in my post #61...it has an adapter in place in the 30-amp plug-in...the regular household plug-in is next to it.
Thanks. The way it's marked from the pictures I've seen, it looked like you weren't supposed to use either outlet unless it was running in parallel... which seemed incredibly limiting to me. Glad to hear it's smarter than that.

After we sell the B190, we'll pick up a regular 2000i to start, then later add a companion for maximum fun and excitement. (Given we'll probably use ours more for power outages at home than for camping...)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple, generator