Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We've run our 15K a/c unit just fine with the 3000 Handi. When setting up the VM Sales extended tank, it is evidently important that it not be set too high so that the gravity feed rate will "flood" the fuel tank. Was told by VM that the external tank needs to be placed just a bit higher than the parallel to the top of the Handi to ensure sufficient flow.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #44
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Chack the dimensions on this one....
Rubbermaid 1192 Storage/Cargo Box 48 Gal Black/Red
That would fit perfectly in a four foot wide space.

Did you find the interior dimensions anywhere? Wonder if two of the Honda/Yamaha 2000 W would fit.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #45

Currently Looking...
Marion , Montana
Some generator questions.

I have a 2010 Classic Ltd with factory solar. The generator I have (model year 2004) mentions using a power line conditioner before trying to run any solid state electronic devices. I have factory solid state stereo and TV as well as some LED lighting. My concern/question is this, if I connect this generator to my AS via the 30A power cord will the onboard converter be able to deal with not so clean power from the generator.

My next question concerns stepping down the 240V 20A output on the generator. The gen can produce 5000 running watts. If I step the 240V down to 120V can I reasonably expect the same 5000 watts or at least enough to run the AC?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
When we're not in the trailer, i.e. for most of the year, I'll have to store the generator inside the trailer, I'm thinking. That would make size and weight a little bit of an issue. Probably try to find some kind of Rubbermaid box or something to seal it up in. the wardrobe in the 27FB is probably big enough.
Look for a military electronic storage case. I have three that are larger than what you need but they are tough and have a watertight gasket along with the 8-10 latches. I believe it would contain the fumes of gas residue from stinking up things while in storage.

Wes
Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #47
one of those

2011 27 FB International
In a previous life I used to supply and install equipment on military ships, and we used the gray Hardigg containers with custom foam inserts. Are the ones you're talking about like the Hardiggs? Tough plastic, dark gray, with big o-ring seals and stainless twist latch hardware? flip out handles?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #48
LRL
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Delta , British Columbia
some generator questions

Hi Rays

That must be some generator that will output 240V 5000W. Are you sure the output is 240? If it is do not plug it into you trailer, you could fry a lot of things. LRL
Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rays View Post
I have a 2010 Classic Ltd with factory solar. The generator I have (model year 2004) mentions using a power line conditioner before trying to run any solid state electronic devices. I have factory solid state stereo and TV as well as some LED lighting. My concern/question is this, if I connect this generator to my AS via the 30A power cord will the onboard converter be able to deal with not so clean power from the generator.

My next question concerns stepping down the 240V 20A output on the generator. The gen can produce 5000 running watts. If I step the 240V down to 120V can I reasonably expect the same 5000 watts or at least enough to run the AC?
IF you go with a high quality inverter generator such as the Honda or Yamaha inverter gens you should have no problem. The inverter generators are designed to be used with solid state electronic devices. We've used our 2000i for a couple of years with no problems.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
In a previous life I used to supply and install equipment on military ships, and we used the gray Hardigg containers with custom foam inserts. Are the ones you're talking about like the Hardiggs? Tough plastic, dark gray, with big o-ring seals and stainless twist latch hardware? flip out handles?

That is what I was talking about. Would probably make a great coffee table when not storing the generator.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rays View Post

Wow. That's a big ol' genny. Is there a specific reason you need so much wattage? Or is it that you just already have one and want to use it? Personally I think it's way overkill and is doesn't sound like it's a clean sine wave generator like the Hondas and Yamaha Inververt generators we are all so familiar with. (That's why they are suggesting a "power line conditioner" I suspect.) You can run everything you need with a Honda 3000 or two 2000s in parallel (or Yamahas of similar wattage). And do be careful using that 240 volts and a non-inverter generator. Fried Airstreams are not pretty.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Wow. That's a big ol' genny. Is there a specific reason you need so much wattage? Or is it that you just already have one and want to use it? Personally I think it's way overkill and is doesn't sound like it's a clean sine wave generator like the Hondas and Yamaha Inververt generators we are all so familiar with. (That's why they are suggesting a "power line conditioner" I suspect.) You can run everything you need with a Honda 3000 or two 2000s in parallel (or Yamahas of similar wattage). And do be careful using that 240 volts and a non-inverter generator. Fried Airstreams are not pretty.
Sounds like he is using a construction type generator intended for power tools.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
To answer some of the questions above, the Honda 2000ís are available with different AC outlet configurations.

The other configuration is usually considered the companion unit, and is the one you want if powering an RV. It includes one 15 amp standard outlet, and a 30 amp twist lock outlet,
Hey jdalrymple: I'm also looking into buying a generator. Considering a Honda, my question is: couldn't you just buy the EU200i Companion and use it as your primary? Then if I see a need for a second one buy the EU2000i? Sounds backwards, I know, but.....

Thanks for you input, Terry

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #54
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelegood View Post
Hey jdalrymple: I'm also looking into buying a generator. Considering a Honda, my question is: couldn't you just buy the EU200i Companion and use it as your primary? Then if I see a need for a second one buy the EU2000i? Sounds backwards, I know, but.....

Thanks for you input, Terry
that's what I was thinking, too. I was figuring that no matter where I happened to be streaming when I made the decision to buy the second one, I would have a much better chance of finding the 'standard' unit in stock somewhere nearby and ready to go. And knowing me, I bet I would want instant gratification when I got to the point where I threw up my hands and decided to buy that second one.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
that's what I was thinking, too. I was figuring that no matter where I happened to be streaming when I made the decision to buy the second one, I would have a much better chance of finding the 'standard' unit in stock somewhere nearby and ready to go. And knowing me, I bet I would want instant gratification when I got to the point where I threw up my hands and decided to buy that second one.
Thats what I did.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #56
one of those

2011 27 FB International
us smart guys think alike.

sometimes we screw up too, though. Don't we.

Tags
multiple, generator