Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Trying to decide - solar or generator?

I am trying to decide whether to have some solar panels installed while my TT is at Colonial or rely on a Honda EU2000 generator (which I already own)?

How does one "charge" the batteries with the generator?

I am thinking that with how infrequently I plan to run off batteries, I am better of relying on my generator to charge them, I just don't know how that is done.

Or would I be better off with a small solar panel installation (Zamp)?

Thoughts please.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I am trying to decide whether to have some solar panels installed while my TT is at Colonial or rely on a Honda EU2000 generator (which I already own)?

How does one "charge" the batteries with the generator?

I am thinking that with how infrequently I plan to run off batteries, I am better of relying on my generator to charge them, I just don't know how that is done.

Or would I be better off with a small solar panel installation (Zamp)?

Thoughts please.
Dealer installed solar is always the worst. So you are better off going with the generator, as you answered your question. I know Colonial has a good reputation, but still, not going to be the best solar you can buy and you will be on the loosing side of bang for buck.

As for charging, tt's done by plugging your 30amp cord into your generator with a 30amp to 110 adapter.

Mine looks like this

Zamp tends to be overpriced for what it is. You could add a simple Renogy 100-watt suitcase to add to your arsenal if you want a solar backup solution.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
This is great, thanks.

Since I haven't picked up the TT yet, I don't know what cables it has, but I assume it has the one power cable, and I would assume it is 50 amp since the TT has the 50 amp service. Would this still work?

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14222-...50+amp+to+110v

Or this one

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55168-Po...QDMSB859C8ZN55
Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
If you plan to boondock rarely, skip the PV. Run the generator when needed to charge up the batteries and run the margarita machine.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I just went through the same analysis and am sitting at my computer waiting for today's UPS delivery, which is scheduled to have my Yamaha 2000. So that should answer your question on which way I went.

If I go with solar in the near future I will likely start with a portable suitcase, not a fixed system.

As for the adapter, what I do is go from 50 amp to 30 amp using something like this.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-handles/69613

That way, if I'm at a campsite and I only want 30 amp, I can plug in with the adapter.

To then get from 30 amp to standard 110, I use a second adapter that looks like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapter...o+110v+adapter

Same as what you are looking at ultimately but provides the flexibility of hooking up to 30 amp.

And BTW, I too was very confused about all the adapters before I got my trailer. Once you have the trailer and cord and get to a campground or two you'll figure it out quickly. Don't sweat it too much.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

It is a semi complex decision.

Some think it is a bit of a toss up, depending on how you camp.

In case you didn't know…

The main drawbacks for a generator, are cost of the gasoline, having to carry gasoline, and the noise.

The main drawbacks of solar is the cost, having to park in the sun, and needing to drill holes in the cabin.

Sorry…blah blah blah…my bad.

My real point is that there is a real chance that you might change how you want to camp, once you have a trailer, and realize your camping options. For me…campgrounds are my least favorite ways to camp. I like going to music festivals, and boon docking. You already have a generator. You could always get portable or installed solar system later.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I am a fair weather camper. Concrete pads, 50 amp service. lots of shade. I don't see myself "boondocking" very often. And i like the shade a lot. So the more I thought about it, solar looked like less of an option. I already own the generator, which is whisper quiet (its actually an inverter). But maintaining it and having gas are the minuses. But I can live with those. Since my TT is at the dealer over 1,000 miles away, I was thinking now is the time to get something installed I would otherwise not do myself. But looks like it may not be for me.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Get the generator converted to propane. Than just use a quick disconnect hose to your propane on the trailer. No more worries other than changing the oil. JMHO
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Go with the generator for a while. Unless you spend more than 3 nights at a site with No electricity in nice weather you will not need either solar or to use the generator. The generator will run things the solar can not. Cold, rainy weather, like we had when we were in Jasper park needs the generator. We have been traveling heavily for 10 years and I have no desire for solar yet.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up A lot depends on where you camp.....

......remember you need Sol to solar.....

....rain or shine.

Bob
Old 05-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I have the Zamp and the Honda and use both depending on situation. Its nice that the Zamp is quietly working in the am hours prior to the time window when you are allowed to use the generator.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I started with a Renogy 100 watt suitcase and two Trojan 6 volt batteries. The suitcase is an excellent performer as long as there is sun. Useless on cloudy overcast days of course. I have a Yamaha EF2000ISV2, the new model, being delivered tomorrow direct from Yamaha. On the same truck should be a propane conversion kit from US Carburetion. If all goes well I plan on acquiring another 2000 in the near future. I have another 30 amp controller and 100 watt panel that I can wire into the suitcase.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Decided against solar at the time I ordered my AS. Yes environment friendly but expensive and somewhat inefficient (no sun no charging). My Yamaha EF2000 iS V2 generator does it all, except AC. At 44lbs it's easy to maneuver & store in back of my truck, it plugs into the front of my AS for instance power when needed. I carry gas in a 5 gallon metal can with an easy pour thumb operated spout. My truck bed has a hard cover & when in use I chain it to one of the bed tie down rings. Hair dryer, toaster, microwave, water heater all work when in use just not at the same time. Solar panels give you half that at triple + the cost of a small generator.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Planning on some boondocking out West and lots of National Park, Forest Service campgrounds so I'm planning on a little of everything. 200w on the roof, 200w of portable that can run in parallel with the roof solar and eventually a 2000w generator for back up. I'm only going to have 220ah worth of batteries. Anything more is too heavy to lift so will wait for lithiums.

I think solar is more important out West. East coast boondocking is rather limited, right?

Kelvin
Old 05-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Fair weather campers do not need a generator or solar. Take care of your batteries and move from hookup to hookup. No added weight from the generator and no added cost for solar. From time to time you will want to go places that do not have hookups. The parking lot above the Balloon fest is a good example. The generator can make that trip. AW's comment on a conversion to propane is worth considering. Other folks seal up the generator in plastic after they run it dry and only purchase fuel when they need aux power.

Good luck and travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Depends on how and where you camp.

If I lived in Florida and boondock I would go generator as I'd need the A/C because of humidity.

If I lived in Florida and stayed in full hook up campgrounds. I wouldn't bother with either.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I think solar is more important out West. East coast boondocking is rather limited, right?
Along the east coast states in particularly there is almost zero boondocking. Public lands are in abundance out west.

Also, I wouldn't say it's important as much as more viable based on how much sun the west gets comparatively.

This is why most of your big solar plant projects are in the American South West.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed 600W of solar with 4 6V Lifeline AGM's, and also carry a Honda EU3000i Handi generator. Granted, this is the whole enchilada, but what works best for me is a combo. I purchased the solar package from AM Solar. I also installed a Magnum MSH3012 Inverter. With my setup I can run my 15000 BTU A/C for a couple of hours on batteries, or run the microwave, or whatever. This is the advantage of a 30 AMP inverter. (BTW you do NOT have to drill holes in your roof to install a solar setup --thanks, Lew!) While I (too) like to park in the shade, the 6 solar panels completely recharge the batteries while I'm driving. If worse comes to worse, I can start up the generator. It's all about how you use your trailer, and obviously, what your pocketbook can handle. When my Lifeline AGM's die off, they'll be replaced with lithiums. While I'm not always "off the grid" -- I like the freedom that my electrical setup provides. And, the Classic uses a lot of power -- awning, recliners, dinette, stabilizers. I added to this with a Winegard roof mounted sat dish for the TV and a dishwasher for convenience and to save water. Yes, it is possible to rationalize ANYTHING!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I skipped solar when my trailer was at Colonial. Glad I did purely because I don't need it. That may change next year when we go to Utah, but since I'm on the east coast now I rarely go anywhere where I don't at least have 30amp power. So even the generator gets used rarely and often left behind.

I belive the answer to this question is totally based on how you intend to use the trailer.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up TAP....Dock'n

"Along the east coast states in particularly there is almost zero boondocking. Public lands are in abundance out west."

Forever Wild since 1894....Home of the USA's largest State Park.
Who'd a thunk it...

"The Adirondack Park"

"The Adirondack Park was created in 1892 by the State of New York amid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region. Today the Park is the largest publicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined. The boundary of the Park encompasses approximately 6 million acres, nearly half of which belongs to all the people of New York State and is constitutionally protected to remain “forever wild” forest preserve. The remaining half of the Park is private land which includes settlements, farms, timber lands, businesses, homes, and camps."

Bob