Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I skipped solar when my trailer was at Colonial. Glad I did purely because I don't need it. That may change next year when we go to Utah, but since I'm on the east coast now I rarely go anywhere where I don't at least have 30amp power. So even the generator gets used rarely and often left behind.

I belive the answer to this question is totally based on how you intend to use the trailer.
I believe based on my use I won't need it, but since the trailer is at Colonial (and it will likely never be back there) I thought it might be a good time to have one installed. $ is not the issue. I am not made out of money, but I value convenience, and I am not installing this myself. And finding someone down here to do this is "problematic".

Decisions, decisions.... oh, and I would probably need to upgrade the batteries while I'm at it....

I say I won't need it, until I do. Then I will be sorry I didn't do it...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Lew Faber divides his time between Florida and Oregon from what I understand.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #23
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I believe based on my use I won't need it, but since the trailer is at Colonial (and it will likely never be back there) I thought it might be a good time to have one installed. $ is not the issue. I am not made out of money, but I value convenience, and I am not installing this myself. And finding someone down here to do this is "problematic".

Decisions, decisions.... oh, and I would probably need to upgrade the batteries while I'm at it....

I say I won't need it, until I do. Then I will be sorry I didn't do it...
When I had my trailer at Colonial I thought about having them install a wire run from the roof to the front battery compartment. Size the wire conservatively and you can always complete the install with panels and charge controller when you are ready. That part should be straight forward.

You might consider that option.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
I have both solar and a generator. Would't be without either.
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
We bought a 26U a few months ago and had our dealer - Camper Clinic II - install the factory solar package. They did a great job. Also upgraded the batteries to Lifeline. Leverages existing wiring and integrates well. We park the AS a reasonable distance from the house so solar means we don't have to worry about keeping the battery charged, or having power when we do the prep for a trip - plenty of battery power for lights, initially getting the fridge cool, fan etc etc. Plus, should really enhance dry camping flexibility. Also bought the Honda 2000i, as in Texas, you need the AC.
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
If you like shade, fixed solar on your trailer will not be a good solution since you need good sun to recharge your batteries with solar panels.

We are part-time full-timers, wild camping a lot. We upgraded our batteries and 95% of the time are fine with our 200W Zamp Solar portable panel. We also have a generator because we visit places that do not get a lot of sun (like the Pacific Northwest in the late winter/early spring or Yosemite Valley in the fall when the sun barely gets above the cliffs). Our generator is advertised as a super-quiet model but I think it is loud and intrusive in natural places. I much prefer solar because it is clean and quiet.

In your case, you could get a portable solar panel and supplement it with your generator. But, if you are not going to be away from hook-ups very often, your generator will probably meet your needs at least to start, especially since you said that you do not mind the noise and mess.

Here is our review of our 200W panel if you are interested... http://www.naturephotoguides.com/tra...system-zs-200p
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #27
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have a dealer-installed Zamp 150 Watt panel on our roof and stock batteries.

The panel has allowed us to camp indefinitely without hookups in sunny locations (e.g., Joshua Tree NP) as long as we're incredibly conservative in our use. No heater, no TV, occasional fans, and absolutely no AC.

If we're camped in a fairly shady location, it's pretty much useless. The best we've managed in that situation was 3 days and 2 nights with batteries that are reading a lower voltage than I would like. (E.g. 12.1 Volts, which folks here will tell you is pretty darn low.)

So, we need to either get a generator or make a significant upgrade to our batteries and solar plant. I'd really prefer the latter because I'm a nerd, and because I don't enjoy the sound, weight or extra fuel consumption of a generator (even the quiet ones).

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
As for generator, permanent solar or portable solar, I have all three. If one was only going with one of the three I would probably recommend the generator, because of microwave and air conditioning.

I mostly dry camp, and go for days on just the permanent solar (I bought the Airstream with one 100-watt panel installed. I switched out all the lighting with LEDs and can get along great with just this permanent panel. That being said, I drink coffee and would like to sometimes zap it with the microwave. I always have a generator in the back of my truck (Yamaha 2800 watt inverter generator), so about half the time we go camping I will pull it out so I can fire it up for the microwave, or if it's hot enough in the summer I might run the air conditioner (A/C) with it. It is marginal for the air conditioner, as when you hook up the generator it tries to carry all your "hotel" loads, charge your batteries, etc.. So sometimes I will have to open the breaker that supplies the converter, then start the A/C, then reclose the breaker to the converter.

Now the portable solar definitely has it's place too. I have a high quality folding 80-watt portable unit that I purchased when I had my previous Airstream. This unit comes in very handy when camping in the winter, as the sun angles are so low that I get much more out of it, pointed at the sun, than I do the flat panel on the roof. It also has the advantage that if you have the Airstream in the shade you can move the portable panels out into the sun.

Bottom line is you have most flexibility with a generator, but if you don't need to use the microwave or the air conditioning, solar is by far the best in that it takes care of your battery, you can run your fantastic fans as needed, lighting is ample as long as you don't turn them all on all the time. If you do have a few days of heavy clouds though, a generator is still a good idea to have for backup.

Last year we went to a wedding party in central California where it was 108 degrees during the day and only got down in the 90's at night. So we had two days of running the generator 24 hours per day. It did it, but we had to add gas several times.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Hello and thanks for your post. I just purchased a 2014 AS and live in Denver as well. I was wondering if you had to modify your battery box to fit the 6V Lifelines. I got the measurements of my current batteries and they are 10.75L x 6.75W x 9.4H. Looks like the Lifelines are slightly larger but I think 10.25 height should still fit.

Thanks,
Dave
dbirdno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Go with both Solar ( AMSolar.com ) and a Honda 2000 just to keep the batteries topped up.
Robert24341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, I've decided to stick with a generator for the time being. I'm taking my EU2000 to get serviced next week and I'm bringing it with me to the trailer. Thanks everyone for your comments!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbirdno View Post
Hello and thanks for your post. I just purchased a 2014 AS and live in Denver as well. I was wondering if you had to modify your battery box to fit the 6V Lifelines. I got the measurements of my current batteries and they are 10.75L x 6.75W x 9.4H. Looks like the Lifelines are slightly larger but I think 10.25 height should still fit.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - If you are referring to my response above... Yes, we did modify our battery box to fit the 6V Lifeline batteries. My dad helped us build a three-inch tall frame out of aluminum c-channel, which we affixed on the top of the box and then re-attached the lid. The 6V batteries would not fit without this modification for our 25FB. We could not have done it on our own but if you are handy, it probably would not be too difficult.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
Dave - If you are referring to my response above... Yes, we did modify our battery box to fit the 6V Lifeline batteries. My dad helped us build a three-inch tall frame out of aluminum c-channel, which we affixed on the top of the box and then re-attached the lid. The 6V batteries would not fit without this modification for our 25FB. We could not have done it on our own but if you are handy, it probably would not be too difficult.
Thanks Sporks, I was referring to you. I was about to pull the trigger on 2 Lifeline group 27's 100AH which would fit sideways according to Lew to avoid modifying the box, but after more consideration, decided that I will go with the 6V Lifelines as well. Hard not to when you can get 220AH for about the same price as I am sure everyone who has done the upgrade also concluded. I have the factory solar which I will keep for now to keep them charged up and I have the new Champion dual fuel 3100 inverter/generator to run the A/C or charge batteries as needed. I may get a portable solar panel so I can park in the shade and still charge batteries in the future and get a new converter....Oh it adds up quick! Thanks for all your help, this forum has been a wealth knowledge! Special shout out to Lew for all his help as well!
dbirdno is offline   Reply With Quote