Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Troubleshooting dead solar kit controller

Hi all,

Full time and working from the road, so mostly we look for hookups, but maybe once a month, head off to dry camp. Decided a full solar setup wasn't cost-effective for our circumstances and instead bought a portable 100 watt solar kit from Renology. Control module is built-in and on the half dozen occasions we've used it, it's worked flawlessly to keep batteries topped off.
Yesterday everything worked fine with good voltage indicated and happy batteries. This morning, however, got anxious to switch over from generator (toast and ground coffee, you know) and while idling down to clear out the fuel line, I hooked up the solar to the batteries while generator had not yet shut down.
Solar controller appears to be dead, no display, and no power to the batteries. Hindsight tells me I must have damaged the controller ... does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions (or confirmation this a lost cause and I just should replace the controller)?

—Al
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Do you have and have you checked for any fuses that may be protecting your controller. If not, sounds to me like it's dead, but then I'm no solar expert. You need Lewster, the solar expert. Try to p.m. him for his opinion.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Assuming you have the suitcase 100 watt setup there is a 7.5a fuse on the positive lead according to the instructions. See if that fuse has blown.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Head slap. Back and forth with Renology service support emails and turns out about as simple as plugging in the TV before you call the repairman. Reversed the terminal hookups. Knew the fuse was good, but it was clear the controller wasn't powering. The real tip off was finding out the BATTERY provides power to operate the controller, not the PV. Knew the PV cells were all sunny... but if they're not powering the controller... oh, maybe it's operator error and not controller error. Head slap.

Al
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote