Old 01-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Flying Cloud 27

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Union Hall , Virginia
Tri-Fuel Generators - Experience ?

I just purchased a Yamaha EF2000iS Generator/Inverter and am wondering if I should buy a conversion kit to make it run on propane and natural gas in addition to gasoline. I admit I would rather not have to carry gasoline in my TV or in the trailer to avoid the fumes. It also seems advantageous to have the capability of running it off the propane tanks. Is there any loss of efficiency or other downsides to converting ? Is conversion doable for a semi-handy man ? Thanks for any advice....

Bob Toone
2015 Flying Cloud 27
2015 Toyota Sequoia

Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Bob while you wait for replies there are some other threads about the conversions. Yamaha always seems to be the model to get.

ProPride
NōVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Here's a source online to check outÖ Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.

I have NOT done the conversion myself, so I can't vouch for the quality of the conversion kits from this or any other source. But at least it's a place to start.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I used the dual fuel US Carb conversion on our Honda 2000.
Seven years & counting, been a very worthwhile up-grade.

A few bugs to work out after the install but nothing major. The supplied delivery line was too stiff to route smoothly to the carb, replaced it with surgical tubing and hobby fuel line for RC's.
Pinch the line quick shut-off.

LPG...whats nice? Cleaner burning, no exhaust smell, being able to adjust the mixture,(at altitude), no spilled gas when filling, runs 18-20hrs,(load dependent), on it's own little tank, can be set up far enough away in its tent, prying eye proof.

I still use gasoline, mostly at home in the shop and for emergencies. Nice to know you have the capability if you need it.

Bob
Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
runs 18-20hrs,(load dependent), on it's own little tank, can be set up far enough away in its tent, prying eye proof.

Hi Bob, I just want to confirm that you get 18 to 20 hours of run time with the little LP tank in the picture above? Very impressive! Thanks, Bob
Old 01-14-2015, 03:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I have a Yamaha 2800 watt inverter/generator and I put the U.S. Carbueration conversion on it, but primarily for a different purpose. I use the same generator for both the Airstream and for electrical backup at home. For backup at home I use the natural gas mode.
The air settings for propane and natural gas are different, so you need to run it on both and I wrote down on the air adjustment the settings for each (something like 4 turns open for natural gas and 6 turns open for propane).
I find it is easier to start the generator on gasoline, then when it's running, shut off the gasoline isolation valve, and when it starts to sputter, then turn on the propane or natural gas. It will then pick up on the new fuel. (one thing to note though is U.S. Carb is emphatic that you NOT use a new propane tank when trying to start on propane. They say the tank has to have had 3 or 4 propane refills before trying to use that propane tank for the generator. Without doing this they say it won't run on propane).
I always take this generator with me when we take the Airstream out, but I use it primarily just when I need to run the microwave or brew a pot of coffee using an electric pot. We have solar on the Airstream and it pretty much keeps the batteries charged (we converted all lights to LED so not so much of a draw at night). Also, use a 600 watt true-sine wave inverter for our 110 volt needs.
We do a lot of dry camping so when it recently came time to swap out the deep-cycle 24D batteries I opted to convert my system to larger 6-volt golf cart batteries. These two 6-volt batteries in series has about 2-1/2 times the amp-hour capacity of two 24D batteries. I think each 24D battery has about 80-100 Ah capacity wheras the golf cart batteries have about 225-240 Ah each. (I just finished the conversion this week and am going out dry camping for a few days shortly, so anxious to test the new battery system.)
Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have the US Carb conversion. The new conversion is different and MUCH easier. The older way, while reliable, required drilling into the carb. I purchased it from them done already and so covered by warranty. Mine was done right before (a year or less) they started using the new snorkel. I did not want to be drilling into my carb. The snorkel does not require any drilling from what I understand. Using LP is great. You have to bleed the line of air before starting. I do this by running propane through it before hooking up. Then it starts fine. I want to avoid EVER putting gas into it if possible. The #1 issue with intermittent users of small engines now is gummed up carbs from our corn gas. The LP option avoids that. I highly recommend it.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Hi Bob, I just want to confirm that you get 18 to 20 hours of run time with the little LP tank in the picture above? Very impressive! Thanks, Bob
AAB,

Yes thats been the average. We usually run it for an hour or so in the morning during B-fest preparation to keep the batt's charged. Under load with eco off it averages 9-10.

Windy

QUOTE>>"I find it is easier to start the generator on gasoline, then when it's running, shut off the gasoline isolation valve, and when it starts to sputter, then turn on the propane or natural gas. It will then pick up on the new fuel"QUOTE<<

Been my experience also. That routine has also been helpful when using at altitude. Makes it much easier to adjust the LPG mixture to compensate.

Rod

QUOTE>> "I want to avoid EVER putting gas into it if possible. The #1 issue with intermittent users of small engines now is gummed up carbs from our corn gas. The LP option avoids that.">>QUOTE

That was my plan also but it turned out it was much more convenient to use the gasoline option at home for backup power. (good to know its ready if you need it)
I now just shut the gas off let it run out and then open the bowl drain when storing.

The 24gal RubberMaid ActionPacker has been very efficient at controlling any fumes.

Bob
Old 01-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I converted a 4KW generator with a US carb kit without any problems; it was for home backup.
For my AS, I bought the Yamaha 2K from Central Maine Diesel already converted. I liked the clean look of their conversion compared with the USC kit. It is set up to run off the low pressure exterior trailer connection, using my trailer propane tanks. Works like a charm. I have a regulator and hose if I want to run it off of a separate propane tank. I have never run this generator and gasoline and never plan to.
Larry
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I bought a kit to convert our Yamaha 2400isHC to tri-fuel. Haven't done it yet. They say that the generator needs 2 hours of runtime on gas prior to the conversion.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I bought a 2800 Yamaha from the US Carb people already converted. That was this past fall, so it's most likely their lastest version.

I have run it on gasolene, but not tried it on propane yet. They said to break it in on gas, and that's about all I have done with it.

When running it to break it in, I hooked it up to the AS and turned on the A/C. I had plenty of power.

I carry it in the bed of my PU so I don't have a problem with having gas in it or in a gas can. I have a gas barrel at home so gas is easy to use. I may never use the propane fuel feature, but I have it, just in case.

BTW, I do not use ethanol in anything, especially small engines.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421817939.302745.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	230815
I did mine myself, very easy. Sent the carb to Tri fuel in Maine and they sent it back with a kit for $179, works awesome and no more clogged jets when I forget to run the genni!

Ford F-350 crew cab 4X4 diesel, 25' Jack Bauer edition AS
Old 01-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #13
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I had US Carburetor convert a new Yamaha 3000 iESB about 7 years ago. It runs off my two 40# propane tanks. I also had Airstream Service put a 50 amp connector on the front of my trailer. Now, I don't lug the jenny or extension cord around each time I set up. The Yamaha is a "boost" model meaning the inverter wiring uses the start battery to boost up the AC during air conditioner startup. Remote start is an available option. There is also a way to connect the remote start to the Dometic heat pump thermostat wiring for automatic demand start/run. I don't have any details on that.
I have never had a problem with the Yamaha. I did replace the Battery two times. This last time I installed an AGM for longer life. I noticed the AGM takes very little charging from the "Battery Tender" to keep it peeked up. I really like this set up and it can easily be used at home with natural gas for power grid outages. All you need is a transfer switch and a power plug as is installed on airstreams.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
My Yama 2400iS has been great. Removing/ re-installing the carb is very easy. It's been awhile but, I'm pretty sure all you need is a Phillips head screwdriver and a crescent wrench. You'll need to drill a few holes in plastic to mount the regulator; piece of cake.

You might want to check whether it voids the 3 year warranty.

It's well worth it, and the only way to go for campers. I'm surprised nobody (that I know of) makes an LP fueled genny off-the-shelf.