Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Westlake , OH
Transporting Gasoline?

Hello all. Please excuse me if this question has run it's course (I can't seem to find it in a search)...

I just recently purchased a lovely Honda EU3000i generator, and we're looking forward to using it at a 4 day dry camping event. My concern is, how do I handle the gasoline situation? I don't know what others are doing re: transporting gas, storing gas, etc.
How are you all doing it?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We carry a 5-gal container of gas plus a 2.5 gal container in our truck bed (which has a tonneau cover)...the smaller container is far easier to handle and manage when filling the generator...so we use the 2.5-gal first, then fill the 2.5-gal from the 5-gal as needed.

But I see from your profile that you have a suburban which means you may not want to haul gasoline inside. We have a friend who also does not want to tote gasoline around inside her SUV ... what she does is lash a 2.5-gal contaner to the trailer tongue behind the propane tanks with bunjee cords. She uses a couple of carpet squares to cushion the container and protect the tank cover and trailer skin.... a 2.5-gal container will last a good while but may not be enough if you are far from a gas source for long.

Happy trails and enjoy your Honda 3000i!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
_

. , .
lots of approaches, good or bad.

whatever method, hold off filling the transport vessel till NEAR the campsite.

given u have a gas powered tv, try siphoning for the genset AT the site...

simple hand held bubble or syringe pumps are inexpensive.

since your burb' TANK is sorta safe, compared to some other methods.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
gas, smash, where ya carrying the gen?

If you are using an enclosed TV, then the gen itself will be a problem. Try as you may, it will begin to take on a delightful gasoline odor, that can (will) sicken TV occupants. DEE ZEE as well as other mfg's make weather tight aluminum boxes that can house the gen and the extra gas. altho I vote NOT to have any fuel inside your people hauler, generator included. This is a tough situation to handle. I am facing the exact question. On my 85 I tongue mounted the gen and extra fuel which is labor intensive and relatively expensive if you decide to enclose the entire enchilada. good luck-post photos of your sure to be creative solution(s).
ol' bill
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Palm Beach County , Florida
Get the good go-cart fuel jugs... You can seal em' off well and they come in all sizes...

Here's the idea... OG Racing - Fuel Jugs
Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Dealing with extra fuel is one of the drawbacks of towing with a 'burb. I won't put fuel tanks inside my 'burb, no matter how well sealed.

One possibility is to put them on the roof. My dad has an ugly plywood box he puts on top of his Jeep Cherokee where he puts chainsaws and 2 gallon gas cans. It would be possible to make something similar that isn't ugly. Not convenient though.

There are places out there that make accessory bumpers that incorporate places for fuel cans. I haven't found one I like yet but I haven't looked too hard.

Transfer flow makes a 7.5 gallon gasoline tank that is the same shape and size as a 30# propane tank. If you can get by with one propane tank that might be something to consider:

Generator tank

You can siphon as 2air suggests but keep everything clean as fuel contamination can lead to expensive problems.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I carry the generator in the back of the SUV with no fuel leakage or odor. Except in summer, as the day heats up, I may have to vent it to let off pressure, but that dissipates quickly with the windows open. Spare 2.5 gal can rides on the battery box behind propane tanks. No problems. Enough fuel to run for 15-20 hrs with 2K gen.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
A lot of people put their generator in a sealed storage container, you can put a gas jug in one as well to minimize gas odor.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Here's another option for you.
Gasoline Fuel Packs : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com
Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Hey TowAir! Just tossing out another option/idea.

Amazon.com: Jeep Can Holder - Jeep Can Holder: Toys & Games

Would look neat on either side of the LPG tanks painted silver with silver cans stensiled with red gas symbols. Im sure a mount could be made.

The 9 gal gasoline container is interesting but for its hefty price the generator can be converted to tri-fuel which might make more sense at that price point.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

How I finally solved the problem...It still runs on gasoline, but it sure is better with the P-pane. The 2000 will run about 22hrs on the tank in the photo.

The genset rides inside the AS in a 22gal ActionPacker by Rubbermaid, with no odor at all.

Only have to carry a 1.5 gal gas container in the tongue storage compartment now.
Attached Images

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
How I finally solved the problem...It still runs on gasoline, but it sure is better with the P-pane. The 2000 will run about 22hrs on the tank in the photo.

The genset rides inside the AS in a 22gal ActionPacker by Rubbermaid, with no odor at all.

Only have to carry a 1.5 gal gas container in the tongue storage compartment now.

Hey ROBERT CROSS:

my tongue storage compartment is pretty low (short) where have you found a gas can that won't spill gas, yet small enough to carry in that compartment?

Thanks in advance, Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Terry,

Sitting here emptying the brain cavity...don't re-call where I got the 1.5gal that fit's in there, I know it's not very deep and I did have to search for one that would fit...try Wally World first.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Terry,

Maybe these will help.....
Attached Images

RLC

RLC