Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZstream View Post
I have my 1978 31' excella 500 totally down to the frame and am trying to decide what to do next. I was wanting to try and go all electric with everything and do away with the gas completely. Would this be a crazy idea? i.e. huge solar system. If I do keep the gas what should I keep on gas and what makes more sense to make electric? I am planning on boondocking quite a bit year round and would like the only limiting factor to be fresh water. Some of my main areas of concern are water heater, heater, cook top, and a/c. I am insulating with closed cell foam so it should be pretty sealed up. Since the AS is totally gutted anything can be done and I want to do it right and do it nice.
Hi EZstream.

There are a few non-Airstream all electric rigs being sold out there, mostly B vans, and a few that are mostly electric but have a diesel fired space heater or combination space heater and water heater. Most of these rigs are motorhomes and are set up for rapid charging of the battery banks whenever the engine is operated.

In general the furnace will require the most fuel so that's the hardest to make work on batteries. Hot water is next followed by the stove oven and fridge.

If you will be at a campground most of the time then all-electric might make sense. I have an electric water heater and electric heat and do use them but I have propane too.

If you're trying to set up for boondocking and are willing to spend several thousand extra $$$ on the systems maybe you can make it work although it will still require fairly frequent use of auxiliary power (generator) in winter months.

Sounds like you might be new to camping so you might want to wait until you've been on the road for a few trips before making such decisions
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Keep both systems and add a gas light(s)

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I saw one all electric trailer at the Florida state rally. Had a generator mounted where the gas tanks usually are.
Does not appeal to me. Gas is almost perfect for boondocking. Light weight, cheap, can carry all you need. Instant heat. Add a little generator for battery charging and you are all set to go. If you do go back to gas a Catalytic heater is good for boondocking so you can have heat without draining the batteries.
For us, the fresh water tank is fairly large and not limiting. The black water and gray water tanks are limiting. I dump every 5 days. I guess I am not a dedicated boondocker anyway. I bought the thing to tow. I like a change of scenery after 5 days anyway.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I saw one all electric trailer at the Florida state rally. Had a generator mounted where the gas tanks usually are.
Being a Floridian, I look at our AS as a possible refuge if or when our electric will be off due to hurricanes, all electric would spoil that concept.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
As the Boy Scout motto says: "Be Prepared". As a full-timer and long time Airstreamer, may I suggest "dual power". Dual water heater, dual fridge, gas stove, electric cooking appliance of choice, gas Wave heater, electric cube heater. A/C plus two Fantastic Vent Fans. Solar panels can be useful but, a good inverter/converter is a must - along with a good, sealed battery, or two. Modern electric cooking devices are great but, it doesn't hurt to squirrel away an old fashioned coffee pot, a hot dog stick, and a fire pit grille -- just in case. Good luck on the re-build and happy trails.
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
As Rednax said, I would go all Diesel before I would go all electric, but you gotta agree that dual rules...
Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
One additional comment... I agree with all above as to keep the gas. But, also, at a Solar workshop last year at the 4CU restoration rally, Uwe from Area 63 Productions demostrated the loss in Solar output from panels that were 1) not at the perfect angle to the sun (all day long) & 2) brief or extended cloud cover. & He also reminded us that parking in the woods with shade from trees would be a problem. That is why his coach does not have roof mounted panels.
I also added a propane gas lamp to my GT for light when boondocking.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
All electric is too limiting IMO. Versatility is key. I have a couple of friends who have done some things that limit themselves too much. One went with all 120v and another went without propane of any sort. They have had to pack additional equipment to make up for these deficiencies. I am a firm believer in multiple power/fuel sources that are integrated into the whole structure, along with backup options.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Being a Floridian, I look at our AS as a possible refuge if or when our electric will be off due to hurricanes, all electric would spoil that concept.
My dilemma also. A big gas generator is the anticipated addition at this point for electrical generation (running A/C in summer temps). Thus the appeal of diesel: TV is a turbodiesel, but diesel generators are heavy heavy and $$$. Were it to be mounted on either TV or TT semi-permanently then the cost would be minor for the benefits.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Wondering what kind of wattage you would need Imbet no more than 5000 watts on low end

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #31
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Electric cooking

There are sweet little double burner induction cooktops at Amazon. Not so much juice needed and the prices were OK too.
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
As Rednax said, I would go all Diesel before I would go all electric, but you gotta agree that dual rules...

And how long have Airstreams gone both ways?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #33
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
My plan is solar / diesel with a sealed diesel oven
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Well four ways then....LPG,12vDC,120vAC and a Campfire.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
In general, electric is not the most efficient way to do things that involve moving around heat - cooking, heating, and refrigerating. These activities are generally beyond the scope of what you can do with the amount of energy you can collect with solar on an RV.

Doing these things with propane or a similar fuel is much more efficient than burning fuel to run a generator which then powers these things electrically, or worse yet - stores the energy in batteries, converts to AC, and then powers these things. Each of those conversion steps is inefficient and lossy.

So - if you plan on boondocking or dry camping any significant amount - I'd say that all-electric is not a good plan.

Tags
electric water heater, solar, total electric, boondocking