Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Thinking about buying a Generator. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hey all,

We have a 2006 25ft FB Safari. We've always stayed in campgrounds and never needed a generator. However, we're traveling to a friend's house and won't have any hookups. Can someone suggest a generator that will allow us to run the lights and AC? Are there any cons that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Blockstream

Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
First make sure you can park at your friend's house AND use a generator there.

You will need a bare minimum of 3,000 watts to run an AC possibly more depending on the unit.

Buy quiet run generators, Honda or Yamaha are the best.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Middle River , Maryland
Hi Blockstream,
We thought a long time about a generator. We ended up w/Yamaha - 1000.

1. We decided we did not want to camp w/o electrical hookups if we needed to run the AC.
2. We wanted to easily store it: fits in a plastic storage bin
3. We wanted it light-weight: weighs about 25#'s
4. We had it fitted to run on propane, so we don't carry extra fuel
5. We really only want to keep our batteries charged.
6. It's really quite, starts easily and matches our awnings :-)
7. We use 12 volt fans in the windows if the weather gets unbearable (only happened once when we did not have 30 amp)

Good luck,
Imelda & John Barlow
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
Make sure the output is regulated for the operation of electrical devices like computers.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If your friend lives out in the country, that's fine, but if your friend lives in town, the generator might be a moot point. Many municipalities have ordinances that forbid a person from living in a recreational vehicle (whether travel trailer or motor home) on residential property.

I looked this up for the town where my parents live. There, I can park my Interstate at their house if it's on a concrete pad (not on grass or gravel), but I can't live in my Interstate while I'm there. I'm also right on the very edge of their town's length restriction for what can be parked at their house. Less than a foor longer, and I'd have to park elsewhere.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A non inverter generator is cheap but noisy. A 3000 watt generator is needed for the AC but is heavy. Inverter generators are quiet but pricey. You can piggyback 2 Honda 2000s (and Yamaha?) and have enough juice for the AC.

I resisted the idea of a 2nd generator for years, but this summer's heat convinced me.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We went with two Honda 2000w generators, run in parallel when we need AC, singly when we do not... We chose the two 2000s over a single 3000w because of weight management ... plus we have 4000w when in parallel...which is more than enough to run everything. Whatever you do, get inverter generators for "clean" power for electronics and the quiet factor. You can't go wrong with Hondas or Yamahas.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If this is the only time you will need a generator, a 2,000 watt will cost more than $1,000 and isn't enough for the A/C. More, of course, for 3,000 w.

It would be better to get an extension for shore power and plug into the house. Do they have a nearby outside receptacle? A 20 amp receptacle will run the A/C (you'll need an adapter for the 30 amp shore power cable), but except for lights, that's about it. Run the fridge on propane. If you have a duel fuel (electric or propane) water heater, use propane.

What will you do with black and grey water if you stay for a while?

Gene
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
What will you do with black and grey water if you stay for a while?
That's actually the easiest thing. If the house is connected to municipal sewer service, or to a private septic system, there should be cleanout plug in the sewer line, located somewhere near the house's foundation, just outside the building. Use a pipe wrench to unscrew the cap on the cleanout plug, hook up your waste hose, and presto, instant dump station.

I wouldn't leave it hooked up full-time, though. If you do, and there's a clog downstream of the cleanout plug, you get sewage backing up into the yard, which would not score you any points with your friend. Just hook up when the holding tanks need to be emptied, and put the cap back on the cleanout plug when you're done.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I thought long and hard about generators and decided on a Champion 2000 watt model.
I found one at Sam's club for $460, about 1/2 the price of a Honda. It won't run the AC but it will run the converter or microwave or electric coffee pot or just about anything else in the trailer. I read lots of reviews online and all were positive on the unit. I have about 12 hours on the gen and no problems. You can pair it with another unit for 4000 watts. Yes a 3000k Honda would have been nice, but the expense and the realities of just how often I would need it convinced me to go with the Champion. In hot weather I camp where I can have power.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's actually the easiest thing. If the house is connected to municipal sewer service, or to a private septic system, there should be cleanout plug in the sewer line, located somewhere near the house's foundation, just outside the building. Use a pipe wrench to unscrew the cap on the cleanout plug, hook up your waste hose, and presto, instant dump station.
Depends when and where it was built. No one in our neighborhood has them, for example.

Barring the cleanout idea (which wouldn't work well at our house even if we had one, unless we had the trailer halfway out of the driveway and on the street), I'd go with a macerator pump with a hose to a toilet.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Depends when and where it was built. No one in our neighborhood has them, for example.
Hadn't thought of that. Even at my parents' house, which was built before I was born and still has the electical wiring to prove it, they've got cleanout plugs close to the foundation. You just have to dig about 6 inches to get to them. The idea of a sewer line without cleanout plugs between the house and the sewer main boggles my engineering mind.

No, I take that back. At my parents' previous home, which had a basement, the cleanout plugs were in the basementó not outsideó where the line made a 90į bend from vertical to horizontal before running out to the sewer main. Basically instead of an elbow, it was a T-fitting, with one leg of the T capped to provide a cleanout plug. If Blockstream's friend has a similar setup, DON'T use the cleanout plug in the basement as a dump point; that idea only works if the cleanout plug is higher than the sewer line.

Skater, your "macerator pump to the toilet" idea isn't bad at all, as long as it's not too far or too high. If the toilet in question is too far or too high off the ground for the pump to work well, there's always the Thetford portable holding tank, that one can drain the trailer's tanks into, then load it in a pickup to take to a dump site.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If the toilet in question is too far or too high off the ground for the pump to work well, there's always the Thetford portable holding tank, that one can drain the trailer's tanks into, then load it in a pickup to take to a dump site.
Technically those are really intended for gray water only, assuming you mean the blue or gray tanks, often with wheels on them. I think the only real issue with using them for black waste would be that they might not seal well enough for everyone's liking.

For the cleanout thing, I have no idea if there is one buried in the yard somewhere. Like I said, though, because of the design of our property, it'd be a bear to use, given the slope of the land there and difficulty of getting the trailer in. For us, it's easy enough to hit the free dump stations on I-95 that aren't too far from us.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
We "Ditto" some of the previous posters;

Yamaha 3000 is quiet and dependable but heavy
Two Honda 2000s linked is the best way to go; easily portable and quiet

We own both of the above combos. They start on the first pull (properly maintained) and are great!

Good luck.