Old 09-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
Theft protection for portable panels ?

i would like to be able to leave my panels out even when we are gone for the day. anyone have any good setups to prevent your panels from being purloined in your absence ?

Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
1950 Flying Cloud 7039
1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I would like to know if this is an issue? I just bought my portable solar. Has anyone had their panels taken?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Recent discussion ,
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We came back to our campsite after a nice dinner and found our portable panels were in the process of being stolen. When I left them the cable was still plugged into the trailer at the battery box. When I came back the cable was coiled up next to the panel. The next morning we found that a Honda 2000 generator had been stolen. It was secured by a cable lock. Either they decided against taking ours, forgot to come back or we scared them off. This was reported to the USFS Park Ranger who took no action.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I do not use solar panels, but I do have a pair of Honda 2000's - When I use the Honda's I set them on the tail gate and keep them locked to my truck, when we are not using them I slide them into the truck (still locked to the truck) lock my tailgate and lock the topper. The parks we use do not have theft problems but better safe then sorry. I have seen other campers leave solar panels, gas generators and wind turbines out with out any security. I feel this is just temptation for some folks. Lock every think up that is valuable.
2014 Flying Cloud 25FB
2015 Ram 1500
Blue Ox WDH
RamRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I secure my panels with a 25' length of light chain and padlocks. I riveted "D" loops to each panel to secure that end. It's enough security to prevent them from following another camper home. It's not enough to prevent them from going home with another camper who already stole a set of bolt cutters. So far, I still have them. I'm selective about where I leave them out for the day.

I secure my Honda's with a 6' length of heavy chain either to the A frame or between the permanent cargo cleats in my truck bed. They would go home with a camper with a hacksaw, portable drill with a cutoff wheel or cutting torch. So far I still own them, too. I would never leave a camp ground with them sitting outside even with chains.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
careful where you park...

If someone wants either your portable panels or your generator, they will get it. We use a 10' hardened steal cable with hardened steal Master combo lock attached to trailer frame. We also make sure we don't "advertise" by leaving in plane view from the road especially at night time when we retire. I know some of these thieves are pretty sophisticated and even use cell phones or walky-talkies to communicate and identify sites where the "pickens" are easy... I also always try to talk with camp hosts or rangers to get a sense of any "activity" in camp grounds where possible. When boon docking without hosts, this is difficult to do, so to be really safe, keep in the back of the vehicle if you can. A little inconvenience for sure, but at least you won't have a loss.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
One or two ground anchors would allow you to chain it while away from vehicles (like when it is out in the sunlight while TV and Airstream are in the shade.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I got a serious chain and two serious locks from Tulsa Chain online. They even called me back to make sure they had my order right before they shipped it...great people and bolt cutter proof stuff. I loop one end of the chain through the spoke in my wheel and I have a McGard wheel lock on that wheel. The handles on an EU2000 are plastic and easy to cut but Honda sells clever theft proof handles that deal with that. However, I want to get solar panels and I'm thinking there is nothing on a solar panel sturdy enough to secure it and that bothers me.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I think any determined thieve can steal portable panels no matter how they are secured. I use a 30ft cable with padlock. I padlocked our Honda generator under the truck, out of sight, but I think from now on in the truck it goes when we leave or go to bed. Campers in the National Parks seem to be pretty honest. I left my tailgate open on my truck at St Mary campground in Glacier the whole day while we were gone and luckily nothing stolen. I was kicking myself for a long time. I was in a rush to leave that morning.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote