Old 10-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1993 34' Limited
Hugo , Minnesota
Wink The Generator and Rallies discussion

Posting this to try and move the discussion on generators (and noise) from the Balloon Fiesta thread to another area so they can discuss fun and pics and we can discuss generator issues.

1.We attended the Alumapalooza a couple years ago and they had the parking area divided into three parts: Generator, Partial-generator and No-generator.
Turns out the Full-generator area was one of the quietest areas and the No-generator area had noise from buildings with fans, etc. going all the time.
Go figure.

2. Some events and rallies, like the Balloon Fiesta, are just generally somewhat noisy events. (subjective statement, for sure)

3. Everyone we ran into at the Ballloon Fiesta in Albuquerque was polite and considerate. Generators were off at 10pm and almost none around us started at 5 AM (time listed in flyer).

4. There were some larger generators here and there.

5. Some people felt that if you didn't have a Honda (super quiet), you shouldn't have anything else. Noted that some Yamahas are also super-quiet. (sort of like the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge argument)

6. Also noted that some people felt that you should have solar and probably nothing else. Interesting discussion there.

7. Wonderful people and great rally!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
In my opinion, running anything but a quiet inverter type (e.g., Yamaha or Honda) generator these days is just plain rude. If my neighbor was running one of those construction generators (even during so called generator hours) I'd up and leave.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
In my opinion, running anything but a quiet inverter type (e.g., Yamaha or Honda) generator these days is just plain rude. If my neighbor was running one of those construction generators (even during so called generator hours) I'd up and leave.
I don't like the loud construction type generators either. However they are substantially cheaper than the inverter quiet run types.

If we KNOW there is not going to be sufficient power we take our quiet run generator, depending on the weather will determine if we even go. If it is supposed to be hot >80°F for daytime highs and won't be cooling off much at night and there are generator restricted hours we probably won't go. We used to use one of the state parks until the instituted no generators after 10 pm rule, sad part is the party boats that go up and down the nearby waterway at all hours of the night are much more disruptive than a quiet run generator.

As long as the rules are spelled out beforehand and properly enforced I don't have an issue one way or the other.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I don't have a choice of generators; my Interstate came with an Onan 2.5kW propane-fueled generator tucked up underneath, and to date no one has found a replacement that will fit in the available space without hanging too low to the ground.

Interstates are not known for their off-grid endurance without running the generator. If I went to the Alumapalooza (and I would like to sometime after I retire) I'd have no choice but to be in the generator area.

In the interest of reducing noise levels, I did add a resonator to the exhaust, which provides a 3dB reduction over the stock installation. And the stock installation is already quieter than the same Onan generator would be as a free-standing portable, as a result of being tucked up underneath and having an exhaust pipe tha't about four feet longer than on a portable model. I've never set it up side-by-side with a Honda and checked with a decibel meter to see which is quieter (I wonder if there's a decibel meter Android app for my tablet?) but the Onan, even with the extras, is still probably louder.

If anybody calls me rude for running my on-board Onan generator during generator-allowed hours in a generator-allowed area, we'd have angry words and possibly bloodshed before it's over.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1993 34' Limited
Hugo , Minnesota
Anyone know how it's handled in the BLM areas? Just common courtesy, or what; or perhaps not an issue?
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
~snip~

(I wonder if there's a decibel meter Android app for my tablet?) but the Onan, even with the extras, is still probably louder.
~snip~
Here a couple I use...

Sound Meter This is one of the better ones. I have calibrated mine with my handheld meter and it is pretty close.

Another one I have used.

There are a bunch of them on the play store.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote