Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
SUV's and generators

Hello,
Do SUV owners have suggesetions on how to conveniently deal with generators for their trailers. I can't conceive of lifting mine in and out of an SUV to use it each night but at the same time I would love to get out of my pickup puller and into an SUV configuration
Thanks
Don Cook
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Don -- Hope you're enjoying the Forums!

I lift my 40# Honda eu2000i up and down from the pickup bed once a day when I'm boondocking (about 25% of nights). I don't want to leave it sitting out when I'm off hiking, fishing or in town. Therefore I use it to recharge batteries daily & put it right back in the truck. I would say my lift is probably 50% higher than anything you'd have to get it into an SUV.

Still not solved to anybody's satisfaction is the issue of where the heck to store gasoline -- you don't want it in the passenger compartment in case of accident. So a lot of people give a second look to a genset LP conversion.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Hi Don -- Hope you're enjoying the Forums!

So a lot of people give a second look to a genset LP conversion.
What is a genset LP conversion? Is that made by Honda? We looked at the generator today......looks like a sweet machine....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
What is a genset LP conversion? Is that made by Honda? We looked at the generator today......looks like a sweet machine....pj
A Genset is shorthand for a generator set. Lp conversion is converting a normally gasoline burning unit to LP (propane) burning.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
SUV's and generators

Greetings Don Cook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cook
Hello,
Do SUV owners have suggesetions on how to conveniently deal with generators for their trailers. I can't conceive of lifting mine in and out of an SUV to use it each night but at the same time I would love to get out of my pickup puller and into an SUV configuration
Thanks
Don Cook
While I haven't yet felt the need for a portable generator, I tow my Overlander with a Suburban (I have owned two pickups and never want another) and have mapped out the following plan --
  • Install front receiver on Suburban.
  • Purchase steel carrier that uses receiver for its mount.
  • Install marker flags on corners of steel carier to reming driver of its position.
  • Purchase keyed lock to secure stell carrier to receiver.
  • Purchase cable style bicycle locks to secure gnerator to carrier.T
I have been considering a front receiver just to make parking either of my trailers easier in the increasingly tight confines of the driveway on my family farm -- the landscaping that my mother and I planted 30 years has matured and lines the edges of the driveway.

The carrying platform that I have been considering can be seen in the link below:

Versatile Hitch Racks by Let’s Go Aero

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
hello as discussed in other forums putting a gen in the front is bad . what happens when you get in a accident , you just hit the car in front of you and the gas tank is broken now gas is all over the front of your vehicle and the rear of the car you just hit.now a spark is involved in this accident. voom a fire is going now both vechicles are now on fire I hope no one is trapped in the wreck. that is why they say no to front and rear mountings.I hope that this makes sence. save some one life it just might be your own.
Bob
Old 03-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We keep Honda Eu2000 in rear of Excursion...

Granted, it's a long way back there, but we keep both a Honda generator and trailer spare tire (Now..) in rear of SUV.. Both are strapped down with cables and motorcycle tiedowns to the metal loops in the floor, to discourage flying forward in an incident... Similar answer for small pastic gas container, wrapped in two plastic bags and strapped down so as not to fly around...

I can lift 40+ pounds in and out of SUV, and we use heavy bike cable lock to keep it attached to frame when parked... That is reason few SUV owners use Honda Eu3000 or larger generators... Anything heavier than 50-70 pounds needs wheels and a lift for many of us... If someone wanders through campsite with bolt cutters, we lose.. I'd probably put back in vehicle if we were heading out for an entire day... And yes, it means no air conditioning when boondocking, but that is part of the adventure of the wilderness for us...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Raven under hood 5kw generator

Blackbird mobile generator

This is an interesting alternative.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
2500 Sierra/Suburban/Tahoe 5.3/6.0L Vortec Cool!!!!! I would love a generator. Just don't want to have it in the SUV. Propane conversion sounds good but on the Honda adds to bulk and requires removing the carborator (?) and the Yamaha is bigger but you can switch back and forth from propane to gas. If the gas is emptied, would it still pose a risk, besides the dangerous projectile? I do like the underhood built in idea. Didn't think I would see it on the list for our Suburban.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Hello,
Thanks
Don Cook
Don,
We went to Wal-Mart and bought a clear plastic box with air tight lid that just fits our Honda EU2000i. We have experienced no gasoline smell. It can and should be straped down. The unit is easy to lift in and out of our Tahoe. Sometimes I lock ours to the trailer breakaway chains when we are not there. My friend had his 4000 chained in his pickup bed, but it was cut and stolen...The spare gas can is still a problem and we see some value in a propane conversion. If you must have AC a second 2,000 gen will do it.
John
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hello,
Thanks
Don Cook
Hi, Don. One idea I have been thinking about was to remove my SUV spare tire from underneath my Navigator and mounting a small Onan generator in it's place; It would use the battery power and fuel from the SUV.
And not to split hairs, but Honda says the EU2000 weighs 46.3 lbs plus fuel. [close to 60 lbs?] I can handle 40 lbs easy, but 60 lbs and more is pushing it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Enquiring Minds Needed to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
And not to split hairs, but Honda says the EU2000 weighs 46.3 lbs plus fuel. [close to 60 lbs?] I can handle 40 lbs easy, but 60 lbs and more is pushing it.
Read the above post and said "hmm...."

Grabbed one of the fueled up EU200i's and put it on a medical scale.

Exactly 55 lbs.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gonda 53 lb Genset.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	33430  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You're right...

Dennis, thanks for this info. It caused me to go back to Honda EU2000I Generator - Honda Super Quiet Generators and the specs say 46.3 pounds empty. From countless ins & outs from my pickup bed I would have guessed it would be heavier than a 40# softener salt bag. And the noise dampening rubber feet on the Honda don't make easy any sliding on my rubber bed mat.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I have two Honda generators (EU1000i & EU2000i) and they do double duty - standby power for the house (for furnace & refrigerator) when we get power outages, and for power when we are boondocking with the A/S. I keep both generators in the house during the winter time and have never experienced a gas odor.

Carrying gas is a matter of risk and exposure - you see people carry extra gas all the time hauling jet skies, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. When I'm going boondocking or hauling my motorcycle for some dirt road riding, I haul them empty. At the last gas station before heading in, I stop and fill up the various tanks and spare gas cans, so I'm not hauling the fuel any longer than needed. When it's time to leave and go home, any unused gas can go into the truck or SUV tank, so they're empty on the trip back.

When I got my diesel truck that put an end to putting the unused fuel into the tank, but I'm familiar enough with my equipment that I can gauge pretty closely, and don't take more than I need.

Just another option to think about.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
As far as hauling gas...don't. When we anticipate boondocking, we'll bring the honda with some amount of fuel already in it. I make sure it is secured in between something substntial: firewood, charchol, anything that would keep it from jossling around.

We have a two gallon plastic gas container that I fill when needed sometime during a trip. The gas container is stored outside, away from anything that could possibly case ignition. This means no where near battery compartment, electric hook-ups, fire ring, etc. excercise common sense here.

If we don't use all two gallons of gas for the honda, I pour the remainder of the gas in our plastic gas can into our tow vehicle's gas tank, and then try to air out the plastic tank to try and evaporate any residual.

As far as transporting the honda, I've never noticed a gas smell, leak, or anything that might be alarming. I think my own BO my be far more hazardous than most of the stuff that we carry.

Just make sure that the gas cap on the honda is set to off.

jonathan
Old 03-05-2007, 03:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How about this generator? The Yamaha weighs 27 # and you buy a cable for the AS propane tanks. It is quieter than the Honda and only about $150.00 more expensive at $950.00 list. Now the only thing we will have to do special is to circumvent going through the converter and charge the batteries directly. John Irwin said that he uses the 1000 Honda and plugs in by the refrigerator 12 volt. I would like to do this because I can't be pulling out the batteries from the enclosed position in the AS Classic to connect the wires. So if you know how best we could do this please advise. I know it will only recharge the batteries and not run appliances at the same time but if we can just keep the furnace and water pump going with good batteries we will be able to extend our stay from two maybe three nights to much longer. It says a grill size 20# tank would power it for 48 hours and we have two 30# tanks. I will be able to lift it, and we can stow it without volitile fuel in the Suburban or the Airstream. What do you think? And it's blue like the Classic badging.

EF1000i Propane Natural Gas Generators

for comparison, here's the Hondas gasoline specs

Shop for Honda Power Equipment

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Check out this link to the Bambi Forum. http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-13142.html I'm not sure if the 16' is setup the same as the 19' Bambi but if it is this might work. As you will see in the later posts I've now added aluminium wind screens. I've used this setup for a couple of years now and about 20,000 miles of travel and have had no problems. Even turning radius has not proven to be a problem. I think there is another member who has mounted a generator on the front -- it looked quite nice if I remember correctly.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Many of you use twin Honda EU2000i. And its a great gernator. But does anyone run one EU3000i...and if so will it run the A/C in an Airstream. I was told by a dealer it took 2 2000's to run the A/C. DOES ANYONE KNOW? I do know that most 13.5 A/C units will run on the EU3000i. But the Dealer told me that the A/C heat pump on the Airstream takes a bit more than some of the other???? HELP?
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I second the idea of keeping a generator inside a plastic storage box. Without the box it stinks like gas! I also chain the gen to the trailer frame whenever it is out. I place the gen under the trailer to keep it out of the rain... but watch out for CO poisoning. I have a Honda EU2000i. So far on the few occasions when we really wanted to use the A/C we have stayed in a campground with power.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Lots of hand wringing here...

Hello all -

Reading all the Gen set threads as I am looking to go to a more boondocking type set up in the near future. As such I have been paying particular attention to the "1 vs. 2" Honda 2000 posts. After LOTS of reading I have come to the conclusion that there is much 'hand wringing' over an issue that is, at its core, quite conclusive.

Now, I DO need to confess that I am as guilty as all the rest of doing the 'hand wringing'. Guess I am as 'cheap' as the next guy, maybe more so.... Is that a "good" thing?

Back to the 'core' issue. If you have more than a coffee maker and its ilk to run, get 2 2000's or at least a 3000. Otherwise you are risking plenty of $'s to save a few $'s. You do the math for your particular situation. There used to be an ad series that stated - "You can pay me now, or later...." Nuf said.

For me, I'm going to get 1 2000 for starters. There will be NO A/C... until that 2nd 2000 comes on line...

Ciao!

Axel
SilverToy

PS - Flame retardant suit ON! FIRE away.
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote