Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
As far as hauling gas...don't. When we anticipate boondocking, we'll bring the honda with some amount of fuel already in it. I make sure it is secured in between something substntial: firewood, charchol, anything that would keep it from jossling around.

We have a two gallon plastic gas container that I fill when needed sometime during a trip. The gas container is stored outside, away from anything that could possibly case ignition. This means no where near battery compartment, electric hook-ups, fire ring, etc. excercise common sense here.

If we don't use all two gallons of gas for the honda, I pour the remainder of the gas in our plastic gas can into our tow vehicle's gas tank, and then try to air out the plastic tank to try and evaporate any residual.

As far as transporting the honda, I've never noticed a gas smell, leak, or anything that might be alarming. I think my own BO my be far more hazardous than most of the stuff that we carry.

Just make sure that the gas cap on the honda is set to off.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How about this generator? The Yamaha weighs 27 # and you buy a cable for the AS propane tanks. It is quieter than the Honda and only about $150.00 more expensive at $950.00 list. Now the only thing we will have to do special is to circumvent going through the converter and charge the batteries directly. John Irwin said that he uses the 1000 Honda and plugs in by the refrigerator 12 volt. I would like to do this because I can't be pulling out the batteries from the enclosed position in the AS Classic to connect the wires. So if you know how best we could do this please advise. I know it will only recharge the batteries and not run appliances at the same time but if we can just keep the furnace and water pump going with good batteries we will be able to extend our stay from two maybe three nights to much longer. It says a grill size 20# tank would power it for 48 hours and we have two 30# tanks. I will be able to lift it, and we can stow it without volitile fuel in the Suburban or the Airstream. What do you think? And it's blue like the Classic badging.

EF1000i Propane Natural Gas Generators

for comparison, here's the Hondas gasoline specs

Shop for Honda Power Equipment

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
Check out this link to the Bambi Forum. I'm not sure if the 16' is setup the same as the 19' Bambi but if it is this might work. As you will see in the later posts I've now added aluminium wind screens. I've used this setup for a couple of years now and about 20,000 miles of travel and have had no problems. Even turning radius has not proven to be a problem. I think there is another member who has mounted a generator on the front -- it looked quite nice if I remember correctly.
2001 19' Bambi
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Many of you use twin Honda EU2000i. And its a great gernator. But does anyone run one EU3000i...and if so will it run the A/C in an Airstream. I was told by a dealer it took 2 2000's to run the A/C. DOES ANYONE KNOW? I do know that most 13.5 A/C units will run on the EU3000i. But the Dealer told me that the A/C heat pump on the Airstream takes a bit more than some of the other???? HELP?
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I second the idea of keeping a generator inside a plastic storage box. Without the box it stinks like gas! I also chain the gen to the trailer frame whenever it is out. I place the gen under the trailer to keep it out of the rain... but watch out for CO poisoning. I have a Honda EU2000i. So far on the few occasions when we really wanted to use the A/C we have stayed in a campground with power.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Lots of hand wringing here...

Hello all -

Reading all the Gen set threads as I am looking to go to a more boondocking type set up in the near future. As such I have been paying particular attention to the "1 vs. 2" Honda 2000 posts. After LOTS of reading I have come to the conclusion that there is much 'hand wringing' over an issue that is, at its core, quite conclusive.

Now, I DO need to confess that I am as guilty as all the rest of doing the 'hand wringing'. Guess I am as 'cheap' as the next guy, maybe more so.... Is that a "good" thing?

Back to the 'core' issue. If you have more than a coffee maker and its ilk to run, get 2 2000's or at least a 3000. Otherwise you are risking plenty of $'s to save a few $'s. You do the math for your particular situation. There used to be an ad series that stated - "You can pay me now, or later...." Nuf said.

For me, I'm going to get 1 2000 for starters. There will be NO A/C... until that 2nd 2000 comes on line...

PS - Flame retardant suit ON! FIRE away.
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
A hunting friend of mine has called me at least 6 times telling me about deals he has found on 4-8 K generators. Many were returned to the store for one reason or another. Every one he mentions is a worksite type generator which is rather noisy. I tell him everytime he calls that they sound like a good deal if he plans on boondocking in the middle of nowhere but if he starts it in camp then there will be a number of people who will string him up. His latest comment is that he would not run it at night but only for a period of time during the day. Since many of us take a 1-2 hr. nap before going back out to hunt in the afternoon/evening, I reminded him that he'd better not even think about it.

He already has 75 watts of solar power for his fans and I recommended he get the Honda 2000 this year to keep his single battery up if the weather is not putting out good sun and then buy the second Honda 2000 next year with a parallel kit. This way he can run his AC when and if needed. He has the money to do it but needs a nudge. Those Honda 2000's would be just the ticket for him as well as others who do not want to deal with the heavy lifting of a larger generator and he can make two purchases for the entire system. As for me, I still like my Yamaha EF3000iSEB with aluminum ramps to get it in and out of the truck.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
From Experience

Originally Posted by DFord79
Many of you use twin Honda EU2000i. And its a great gernator. But does anyone run one EU3000i...and if so will it run the A/C in an Airstream. I was told by a dealer it took 2 2000's to run the A/C. DOES ANYONE KNOW? I do know that most 13.5 A/C units will run on the EU3000i. But the Dealer told me that the A/C heat pump on the Airstream takes a bit more than some of the other???? HELP?
I looked into the 3000i initially but the weight of the item was just too much for me to handle by myself.

So I bought 1 Honda 2000i just to see if it was worth the expense. Wow what a generator...but it wouldn't power the A/C.

Our Excella has a 15k AC unit and I purchased the 2nd 2000i, which has a max load of 4000 watts when coupled with the other generator. Honda make as cable kit that connects the 2 ($199 from camping world) which has a breaker and 30 amp plug.

The key point is that it takes about 3200--3400 watts to kick over the compressor in the 15k unit. The 3000i can't do this and the combo of 2 units, such as mine, does work.

Of course it was pretty expensive. What I noticed is I went to my local Northern Equipment store and the 2000i was $869 brand new in the box. They gave me 0% financing for 12 months so how could I refuse to use their money.

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote