Old 08-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Storing Honda Generator in Airstream?

Not owning house with a garage certainly puts an interesting spin on things as I've noticed over the last 1.5 year of owning an Airstream.

I just bought a Honda generator as I do like go boondocking but was getting tired of being fretful about the batteries running down. Now that I have the generator, I'm not exactly sure of where to keep it.

I live in a high-rise condo so there's no private garage. My usual use of the Airstream and generator would likely be about 1-2 times per month with the occasional month being skipped due to schedules.

The Honda has a complete shut-off valve. Can I simply keep the generator in the Airstream when it's not being used? I store my Airstream off-site, outdoors.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
What fuel does your genny use? If propane, I'd say no problem. You'll have no fuel in the genny while in storage. If gasoline, best case scenario is a stinky situation in your trailer. Worst case is, well, a lot worse though the odds of an ignition happening seem exceedingly low...

Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Yes....

I have stored our dual fuel, (LPG & Petrol), Honda 2000i in the AS since new.

I sealed the the lid of the 24gal ActionPacker with 1/2" wide foam self stick gasket.

I run the carb dry, open the bowl drain, empty the tank and make sure the cap is in the "off" position.

No fumes or problems so far.

Just noticed...your in CA. You will need an older style gas cap for the 2000 to fit in the AP.

Aftermarket would also work

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08281.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	269265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08284.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	269266  

Name:	DSC08287.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	269267  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I knew you would have a way, Dr. Cross! 😀

Well played!!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I keep my Yamaha 2000 gen in various places including my AS while in storage, but never without running it dry of gasoline.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/feedback.

If I plan to use it fairly regularly, is it still necessary and/or a good idea to run it dry each time before storing it? It would likely be a 2-4 week storage period at most.

Is this for safety in storage? Or for the generator's maintenance? Or both?
Old 08-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/feedback.

If I plan to use it fairly regularly, is it still necessary and/or a good idea to run it dry each time before storing it? It would likely be a 2-4 week storage period at most.

Is this for safety in storage? Or for the generator's maintenance? Or both?
Both...

I have left gas in the tank during the Season without any problems,(fumes etc.), but still drain the carb.

Drain is under the bowl...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09205.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	269274  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I converted my Yamaha 2000 to propane when new. Tri-fuel conversion from US Carb. Nice to not have the gas fumes and gas transport issues to worry about.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I converted my Yamaha 2000 to propane when new. Tri-fuel conversion from US Carb. Nice to not have the gas fumes and gas transport issues to worry about.
I'm actually contemplating that - have not yet run it. Is there any reason to not convert the generator before ever running it on gasoline? Other than voiding warranty?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
I'm actually contemplating that - have not yet run it. Is there any reason to not convert the generator before ever running it on gasoline? Other than voiding warranty?

USCarb in their very clear instructions say to run the generator with gas for two hours prior to installing conversion. Purpose is to lubricate and break in all moving parts. After adding the required and supplied oil to the crankcase I ran a measured quart of zero ethanol gasoline thru the unit prior to install. It ran for 2.6 hours at zero load. Installation of the US Carb propane conversion does not void the warranty according to Yamaha CS. I called them twice talking to a different person each time before buying the generator and the conversion kit. I bought my EF2000iSV2 directly from Yamaha via their online outlet. They had the best price I could find with free shipping and no tax. According to US Carb they are the only conversion certified by Yamaha and does no void the Yamaha warranty. I only have about 10 hours on the generator so far from sea level to 6000 ft. Starts easily and runs smooth. Of course it will not run the air conditioner but has no trouble charging the batteries, running the microwave and all other onboard systems.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pinehurst , North Carolina
I'm a notorious vintage Honda motorcycle guy. My strong recommendation on fuel (regardless or whether you drain or don't drain between use) is to use some type of NON-ETHANOL gasoline:

* "marine" gas
* aviation gas
* "race" gas
* "landscaper" off-road gas

With these fuels, you can enjoy extended storage intervals (1-2 years) without having to drain the bowls, etc.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Just because it's propane powered is no additional safety against an ignition-event. Do not store anything containing fuel inside a closed compartment. One solution might be to purchase a ventilated, metal storage box and chain/secure it to the Airstream tongue.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Just because it's propane powered is no additional safety against an ignition-event. Do not store anything containing fuel inside a closed compartment. One solution might be to purchase a ventilated, metal storage box and chain/secure it to the Airstream tongue.

JUST FYI The safety of propane power is NO propane is stored in the generator. Don't use the shut off switch on the gen set, when your done using it, shut the propane supply off and let the fuel (propane) run out in the line/gen set. once off, NO FUEL to deal with. You will not have ANY fuel in the camper.

Joe D
Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The short answer is that with the petcock turned off, a gas leak is possible, but unlikely.

I would take the small chance if I were in the OP's place, but I would probably put a moving blanket under the gen.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote