Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Delray Beach , Florida
Storing Generator Fuel

Will buy a small generator and wondering where and how ya'll keep and store the fuel for the genet. Thanks.
hudstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Small gas containers, and use Stabil or a similar product. Run the gas out of your generator when not using. If it stays in there for a long period of time, it may clog the jets in the carburetor.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
LPG is stored here....

And what little gas I use here...

I use e-free gas but still switch off the supply, run dry & drain the carb when stored for any length of time.

I installed a gasoline shut-off to help with draining for extended storage.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I bought a Justrite safety fuel can (2 gal) a while back. I strap it to the side of the truck bed when we are moving. High quality product for lifetime use.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
We travel mostly with the Pickup so carrying gas is not an issue. I actually like having a gas can with me in case we run the truck out of gas. I use 5 gal plastic cans from walmart. They're cheap and I don't mind replacing them if they start look unsafe. If I use one of the closed cars I wait until I'm near the destination to fill up the gas can so I'm not traveling with a gas can in the car and smelling fumes all the way. I leave the cap off the empty gas can in the shed for a few days before I travel to air out any fumes.

I normally have 3 5gal gas cans in the shed in case of a power outage at the house but I empty one of them into one of the cars regularly so the gas doesn't go bad, i try never to keep gas beyond 6 weeks.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Steel safety can with Stabil fuel stabilizer in it. During the summer months the cans also get used to fill lawnmowers so the fuel doesn't get stale.

I also agree with running the carb dry on the generator prior to putting it away. Also doesn't hurt to "exercise" it on a regular basis. I have several generators that get used for different things, they all get started and run up about once a month.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Link to similar thread with info on portable fuel tank we use:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ml#post1323648
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:59 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I have two - 2K generators so that I can run the AC if I want to. One of the gennies is powered by propane, and the other is powered by gasoline. I like the flexibility of being able to use either fuel depending upon my needs, and depending upon the availability of fuel. The one gennie can be connected directly to the AS's propane tanks for added flexibility.

I carry the gasoline in a hard to find military Scepter fuel container:

Scepter Military - Military - Fuel Canisters

I also carry gasoline in a smaller RotoPax container since it is so much easier to fill my generator with fuel from the smaller container:

Fuel Cans : Gas Pack : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I'd hate to start a new thread on a topic that is already talked about here. Getting our airstream later this year and of course the fuel transport question came up.

Why not mount the RotoPax to the propane tank cover? Mounting a 1gal on the frame of the trailer is so close to the ground. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
denver133 is offline   Reply With Quote