Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Sound Barriers

Have an onboard Olan 4000 generator, and I'd like to better sound proof it, with some kind of external sound barrier and then maybe some internal sound barrier materials. Is that possible, and if so what does it look like and what materials should I use?
Don Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Have an onboard Olan 4000 generator, and I'd like to better sound proof it, with some kind of external sound barrier and then maybe some internal sound barrier materials. Is that possible, and if so what does it look like and what materials should I use?
There are limits to the soundproofing you can do, because you need to maintain adequate air circulation to allow the engine to breathe and cool itself.

So if you want to soundproof the generator enclosure, make sure you do not decrease the size of any openings. But each solid surface can have sound-deadening materials attached to the interior and/or exterior surfaces. The most effective thin material is a sheet of lead completely encased in foam, frequently used on sailboats with auxiliary engines in order to muffle engine noise. Here's a link that can give you more information…
http://www.soundcoat.com/soundcoatbarriers.pdf
There are lead-free barriers as well, but they tend to be thicker to get the same attenuation.

On another note, you can add a resonator to the exhaust system, if it doesn't already have one— that's in addition to a muffler, by the way. A resonator for an Onan generator only provides about a 3dB reduction, but that's the same as cutting the sound volume in half. But that only helps on the noise heard outside the RV.

From inside, much of the sound is transmitted by vibration directly to the vehicle frame through the generator mounts, so the resonator doesn't make it quieter inside the vehicle. If you have rigid generator mounts, you can replace them with vibration-isolating mounts, but then you have to carry that on through to any exhaust pipe mounts as well or else the exhaust pipe will rattle when the generator vibrates on its new mounts and the exhaust pipe is prevented from vibrating by rigid hangers.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Thanks. That is much help. How about an exterior sound barrier that you set up like a foldable fence/wall that has some sound material on one side? Has anyone designed one of those, and if so, what do they look like?
Don Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Thanks. That is much help. How about an exterior sound barrier that you set up like a foldable fence/wall that has some sound material on one side? Has anyone designed one of those, and if so, what do they look like?
Ever see one of those folding Chinese screens? Well, just make something similar out of sound barrier material, and set it up where you want it. When you're not using it as a sound barrier, use it to provide additional shade against the afternoon sun or as a windbreak (some means to stake it down would help with that).
Old 08-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cresskill , New Jersey
has anyone used the vibration isolating mounts? if so di it reduce vibration noise on the interior?
I recently added the exhaust muffler and it reduces exterior noise for boondocking but need to reduce interior noise.

Just curious?
B.E.A.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
On all 3 of my MH's I have 2 hooks above the generator door.
I found that a dense rubber mat hanging low enough reduces the noise rather well.
Just be sure to not block the ventilation in and out
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Dynamat
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote