Old 08-16-2003, 06:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Solar trickle charger....

...not to be confused with "trickled-on" economics!

Anyway, the way I'm envisioning it now, my Airstream will be stored away from the house most of the time.

How to keep the battery charged up? Here's what I've done.

Seems like Volkswagen ships a lot of their new vehicles with solar panels "suction-cupped" inside the windows, to keep the batteries charged. They don't sell these over the counter, but they sell the heck out of them on eBay. I got two panels, which are shown as being 3.4 watts each, and stuck them on the inside of the front corner windows, which just happen to be facing south right now.

They are made to plug into a cigarette lighter, so I've taken a double lighter adapter cord, and made an extension so I can plug them both into the 12v outlet by the sink.

My theory is that they should get enough sun to keep the batteries charged while I'm not using the trailer.

Opinions? Better ideas?

Don

Old 08-16-2003, 08:19 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

With no load on the batteries and a good shot of sun daily, I can't think of anything better (unless you have a power outlet handy nearby).

...and for the $$, I can't see how you could go wrong. If it didn't work (which I couldn't see how with no load) you don't have a huge investment of $$ and/or time installing one on the roof.

I say go for it. I may do the same given the cost and portability.

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The only issue I've run into is that the two front windows are the only ones with no screens. I'm not sure how I'm gonna put them on the screened windows....
Old 08-17-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Doc

Thanks a lot! Now I went and bought a pair for my 310 mh!

Really, a good idea and will perhaps keep my drive battery up which is a motorhome problem.

Will post how it goes...lol...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Solar charger location

The vista view and stack windows do not have screens. A small bracket would hold a small charger in place.

Andy
Old 08-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The chargers are (very roughly) about a foot square - too big for the vista view windows, unfortunately!

I'm not sure what a stack window is, or if my Tradewind has one...
Old 08-17-2003, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Stack windows are below the opening window.

There are solar trickle chargers that are the size of a regular envelope, and are flexible, so that they can be put on a curved or straight shaped window.

They can be held in place with scotch tape and the like.

Andy
Old 08-17-2003, 04:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I put a 5W panel on the roof of my previous SOB trailer. It is about a foot square. I brought the wire in at a vent and connected it in to the ceiling light wiring. It kept the battery up very nicely for several years. Only trouble I had was that the panel had a ridge all around. In our dusty Texas weather, dust settled on the panel and, I'm sure, reduced the output greatly. Each trip, I would get up on a ladder and wash the solar array.

I have an identical 5W panel that I bought before I bought the Airstream in the shop. The solar prewire is said to be above the bedroom ceiling light and the roof is clear in that area. One of these days, I'll install the panel.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up good results

Got my 2 solar chargers thru eBay .....the vw one mentioned and one is keeping my motor battery charged just fine facing east on my windshield.....previously it needed a weekly recharge or I Had to run a 2 amp trickle charger......highly suggest solar to keep up those pesky hard to find low grade drains and the electric step drain so prevelant on motorhomes....all for about 20 bucks....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've used a PulseTech Solargizer solar charger/maintainer with my 2 Delco Voyager batteries for 2 yrs. and 4 months now. It is rated at 5 watts and has done an excellent job keeping the batteries topped off. I've boondocked 3 out of 7 days each week for up to 2 months before towing the trailer back to the house 108 miles away. I never had a problem running out of juice.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:47 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I checked out ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20794 they seem farily inexpensive. Is there a chance of over charging the battery? Most solar charging systems tend to be in the hundreds of dollars is there anything lacking? What have you learned from your purchase?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The 5 watt unit I use does a good job for me but I must admit that I am a watt miser. I never have more than a couple of light units on at a time although a couple of12 volt fans run during the night when I sleep and in the afternoon when I come back to camp to take a nap before going back out hunting. I see a 5 watt panel in Northern Tool and Equipment catalog for $99.99. It has a built=in battery tester, battery condition monitor, 2 quick connects/disconnects and polarity reversal protection feature. I am assuming with these features that it also has a night blocking diode. You might want to check out the ICP 5 watt and 15 watt panels. The 15's can be piggy backed for 45 watts. They also have 50 watt, 75 watt, 100 watt, 150 watt and 225 watt panels if you are looking for something to hook up and then take down to store. Obviously a couple of 75 watt- 100 watt panels permanently mounted to your room can do wonders to keep the batteries topped off and electricity flowing, lower watt panels are available.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:15 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

When the time comes that we can use our trailer I want to make sure that I have enought 12v power to keep that battery up enough so that we can do a 3 or 4 day camp running on just my marine battery. Most of our lights are florescent but the furnace from what I understand can kill a battery quick. Some friends of ours lost their 12v bat in 12 hours of dry camping just from their heater. That ruined their weekend. We do not have a radio in the trailer yet but that is something to think about when it comes to power consumption. Around the house we have music on all the time or the occasional movie on the laptop.

I am under the impression that if a decent solar system in in place you can recharge your bat during the day and have plenty of juice for the upcoming winter nights. Just don't know how big of a solar system I really need or should look at.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:23 AM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Darryl,

I had 4-55 watt panels on the roof of our 31 footer with 2 batteries and an inverter. In the midwest during the summer I always had power to spare. On a 28 footer you may not be able to acheive the numer of panels, but with one battery 2 @55 watt or even 1 @75 watts will help.

The biggest issue is the temps. As the ambient temp does down the solar system is less efficent. As long as you have sun and a decent amount of panel you should be ok. The panel like Davidz uses is ok, but if you want to run the furnace for a few days boondocking it will not work. I am looking at getting one of the small trickle chargers for my starting batt inthe MH. Just to keep it up from the parisitic draws.

I would start by looking at the available panel sizes and start measuring the roof.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote