Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Solar recommendations?!

Hey folks!

I’m looking for a recommendation from those who have gone before me.

We’re renovating a 73 sovereign and plan on doing a lot of dry camping on public lands. We want to be as self sufficient as possible. We won’t be using microwave but will have a small fridge. And other results electronics like charging phones and computers, running vent fans, etc.

I’m looking for a 400+watt system I can install and don’t know whether to go with lead acid or lithium. We did a camper van last year and I used 3 deep cycle lead acid and two 100 watt renology panels.

Does anyone have brands or systems they recommend? Looking to keep it around a budget of $2,000

Thanks!
Arlene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Your budget precludes lithium. But 400 W sounds like a good target. Victron and Bluesky make great MPPT controllers. Grape (AM Solar) and Renology make good panels. I highly recommend a battery monitor. Check out AM Solar for everything. If you go with Renology, shop on Amazon or eBay.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Of the "Renogy" panels to buy, I would go with the Eclipse which are back in stock at Renogy and nit usually available on Amazon. That's usually the cheaper panels.
Basically going to do the same system myself. Already have the TV2030 controller and TM2030 integrated monitor from Bogart Engineering wired in.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Chino Hills , California
Solar parts

I just install a solar set up on my new 2018 Sport. The dealer wanted
$1500 for very basic solar set up. I ended up getting 2 100 w GrapeSolar panels for homedepot on sale for $100 each, a Victron MPPT 100/30 SmartSolar controller for $200. With the cost of some misc items like wire, panel feet, 3m tape and sealant, I spent about $600.
I still using my factory battery but will be swapping it out for 2 6v golf cart batteries. Thats about another $300 or so.
Gape solar has great customer service which I called several times. Victron is just fool proof and my unit has build in bluetooth which makes it very easy to monitor and setup. After doing the research, setting up the solar equipment was very easy and I'm glad I didn't pay the dealer $1500.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your solar system when its done. I know I do.
Andrew
roadkill367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill367 View Post
$1500 for very basic solar set up. I ended up getting 2 100 w GrapeSolar panels for homedepot on sale for $100 each, a Victron MPPT 100/30 SmartSolar controller for $200. With the cost of some misc items like wire, panel feet, 3m tape and sealant, I spent about $600.
I still using my factory battery but will be swapping it out for 2 6v golf cart batteries. Thats about another $300 or so.
Gape solar has great customer service which I called several times. Victron is just fool proof and my unit has build in bluetooth which makes it very easy to monitor and setup. After doing the research, setting up the solar equipment was very easy and I'm glad I didn't pay the dealer $1500.
Andrew
A setup like this with 2x100ah battle born lithium batteries would just crack $2000. Very close to the OP's budget.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Of the "Renogy" panels to buy, I would go with the Eclipse which are back in stock at Renogy and nit usually available on Amazon. That's usually the cheaper panels.
Basically going to do the same system myself. Already have the TV2030 controller and TM2030 integrated monitor from Bogart Engineering wired in.

George

When you install your new monitors do you keep the airstream monitor connected?
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Yes. My micropulse didn't work from square one and Airstream paid my dealer to install the See Level , but there is no interference in connecting the TM2030.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
A setup like this with 2x100ah battle born lithium batteries would just crack $2000. Very close to the OP's budget.
You mean crack just $1000.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx468 View Post
You mean crack just $1000.
If you steal a battery...

https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop...cycle-battery/
Old 01-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Your right ROADKILL was referring to 6volt golf batteries in his post not lithiums, my bad, doh!
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:

Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

Based on your post I snagged 2 Grape panels from HD and a Victron 15 amp smart solar controller from Amazon for $130. I will probably set these up as portable units. What do recommend for wiring?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Chino Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Thanks Andrew!

Based on your post I snagged 2 Grape panels from HD and a Victron 15 amp smart solar controller from Amazon for $130. I will probably set these up as portable units. What do recommend for wiring?

Dan
Hello Dan

I glad to see that my post was helpful. I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as wiring goes. I'll include a link to my YouTube video I posted for my solar panel project and hope that might help you.
If you are going portable with your panels then I guess you will be hooking them up to the Zamp connector by the batteries (that's if your trailer is prewired with Zamp connectors). If so, then you will need to buy an adaptor so you can connect the Grape panels to the zamp plug. You can get the adaptor on Amazon for $5.00. As for the wire, it depends on how far you plan on placing the panels. So if not too far then 10 gauge would be fine but if any distance then I would go with 8 gauge. You could just buy a set of solar panel extension cable wires and the adaptor and you would be set to go. I'll include the amazon link to both products I used.

Links to amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope I made sense and this helps you out.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #13

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I run 10 gauge wire for my 30ft run with my 200 watts of portable panels. 10 gauge is still flexible enough to easily handle and the voltage drop is well with bounds. If you go 50ft you might want to go 8 gauge.
The critical distance vs wire gauge is between the controller and the battery. Low is better there, short run with a low gauge wire.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
A single 100ah lithium battery ranges from $850-$1,500. If you want a 400w lithium setup as you describe I would say your looking at the 5-10k range. Depending on if you are going to do it yourself, or have someone install it.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Hello Dan

I glad to see that my post was helpful. I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as wiring goes. I'll include a link to my YouTube video I posted for my solar panel project and hope that might help you.
If you are going portable with your panels then I guess you will be hooking them up to the Zamp connector by the batteries (that's if your trailer is prewired with Zamp connectors). If so, then you will need to buy an adaptor so you can connect the Grape panels to the zamp plug. You can get the adaptor on Amazon for $5.00. As for the wire, it depends on how far you plan on placing the panels. So if not too far then 10 gauge would be fine but if any distance then I would go with 8 gauge. You could just buy a set of solar panel extension cable wires and the adaptor and you would be set to go. I'll include the amazon link to both products I used.

Links to amazon.

Great video....that helped me a lot!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Hello Dan

Links to amazon.

Hi....I do have one question or you. I see you have both the solar setup and the Victron bluetooth battery monitor. I thought you need to have the solar input on the load site of the Victron shunt? You seem to have the input wired to the neutral and hot buss bars. Can you please comment on this?
Old 02-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Chino Hills , California
Battery monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Hi....I do have one question or you. I see you have both the solar setup and the Victron bluetooth battery monitor. I thought you need to have the solar input on the load site of the Victron shunt? You seem to have the input wired to the neutral and hot buss bars. Can you please comment on this?
Hello again,

I don't have a battery monitor connected to my system. I just use the Victron charge controller. If I do add the monitor (extra $160 or so) then I would add the shunt and connect it(battery monitor not charge controller) as you described. But since I'm not using it then I hooked up directly to the buss bar. The blue tooth software shows the current charge state of the battery on my phone when I connect. The down side is that you are not tracking direct usage of the battery as when you have the separate battery monitor connected.

Let me know if I wasn't clear enough in my explanation.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Hello again,

I don't have a battery monitor connected to my system. I just use the Victron charge controller. If I do add the monitor (extra $160 or so) then I would add the shunt and connect it(battery monitor not charge controller) as you described. But since I'm not using it then I hooked up directly to the buss bar. The blue tooth software shows the current charge state of the battery on my phone when I connect. The down side is that you are not tracking direct usage of the battery as when you have the separate battery monitor connected.

Let me know if I wasn't clear enough in my explanation.

Makes sense! Thanks for the help!
Old 02-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Hello Dan

Links to amazon.

I am planning on connecting the solar panels in series so my current flow should be no more than 8 amps. I went ahead and ordered 60 feet of #10 wire plus some connectors so I can make some additional cables if needed. Not sure how far my panels will be from the trailer but longer is better- I want to make sure I can reach the sun!

My 200 watt system really is a bargain. Total cost for the two 100 watt panels, mppt charge controller and wiring should be about $400. Thanks for all your help.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The one thing that really interests me is not shown in any of the photos or videos I've seen on the forums: The penetration for the wires coming inside the trailer when you don't have a roof mounted refrigerator vent.