Old 01-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #15
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
2AIR,

Thanks. Great idea. I will send an e-mail to Airstream. I will post the results. Thanks for posting the picture, it helps.

(Wow how did Silvergate ever find it?... Cut hole in roof and hope...)

PAUL NC. Thanks I will take a look at a tone generator too.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #16
JDL
3 Rivet Member

T , Oregon
Below is the question I sent to airstream:

"Does anyone know exactly (and please I do mean exactly) where the green
and yellow solar pre-wires terminate in the ceiling of a 2005 19' Bambi CCD?

(build date 4/04) I found one end under the seat for the dinette near the
water pump. It was in a coil of wire labeled solar. It had green & yellow wires."

==

Here is the Airsteam response. I have to complement them they responded right away-

JD,
"Exactly", probably not; however this will be very close and is the way they
would be ran.
The wires to solar panel 10 ga. Green/Yellow can be found around the light
behind the forward ceiling vent.
The wires to the controller will be 10 ga. Green/Yellow and Red/Black behind
the monitor panel.
The wires to the battery terminal Red/Black should be under the front dinette
on the left side.
*** Some units may have a blue cat. 5 cable instead of the Red/Black. ***

I hope this helps.

Randy

Aistream Customer Relations

-- PS I checked the wire looms around the monitor panel and I did not see any yellow/green red/black wires.
If anybody else does please let me know..

Old 01-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Sounds like a lot of wires... what are the red/black to the monitor for? Don't the green yellow go to the controller which then connects to the batteries? What do you do with the red/black pair?
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #18
JDL
3 Rivet Member

T , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
Sounds like a lot of wires... what are the red/black to the monitor for? Don't the green yellow go to the controller which then connects to the batteries? What do you do with the red/black pair?
Campadk - according to the manual there could be... yellow/green and red/black wires going to the area of the monitor panel. If this is the case - I would expect:

1. The yellow and green to come from the roof area (solar panel) to the monitor panel area.
2. I would then hook the solar charge controller up with the yellow and green as positive and negative to the input of charge controller.
3. The red and black would be a separate pair of wires going to the battery bank. This would be the output of the charge controller and provide charge to the battery bank.

However, the only thing I have found is yellow and green wires in the left lower dinette seat which houses the water tank and pump.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #19
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
my aristream tech response

I also sent e-mail to airstream tech support, regarding the location of the solar prewire (and about which panels the factory installs) -- this is the answer for our 2007 Safari 20':

Quote:
John,
The wires would be found around the light behind the forward ceiling
vent/behind the monitor panel/under the bed (battery area). I have attached
a parts list of the items that we use. I would not have any information on
aftermarket items.
The panels we use are 24.13"(with brackets) X 36.75". The units are from
Sunexplorer, whose phone number is 800-671-0169.

I hope this helps.

Randy
Airstream Customer Relations
I also had a chat the with good folks at Roger Williams Airstream in Texas, when I learned that they typically find the panel prewire coiled up near/around the light fixture between the forward vent and aircon unit. Access is through the vent, after removing the inside bezel -- "just feel around (carefully!) all around and you'll stumble upon the coil."

Now I suspect the red/black is not nearly the heavy guage that the yellow/green is. Rather, it's for the monitor panel to provide indicator/status signal, not for conducting charging power to or from batteries.

By the way, Silvergate's PV installation was done by the factory, so they'd surely know just where to drill holes in the roof to find the wires

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:56 AM   #20
JDL
3 Rivet Member

T , Oregon
Well,

I put tone to the yellow and green wires today. They travel --> Starting near the water tank --> behind the wall below the sink and stove --> up the main wire loom next to the vent stack in the closet --> and up into the ceiling next to the vent stack.

At NO time did I get tone near any of the vents on the root. Nothing up front near the fantastic fan. Nothing on the rear vent. Nor any tone once the wires went into the roof.

My only hope is it exits some where near the A/C. (I suspect not and will probably need to snake another set of wire through the vent stack.)

Has anybody physical seen the termination of the solar pre wires in the ceiling on a 2005 19' bambi ccd.. (Mine was built in April of 04..)
Old 06-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Ramsay , Michigan
EXACT location for 2006 16' Bambi-Safari

JDL asked:

"Does anyone know exactly where the green and yellow solar pre-wires terminate in the ceiling of a 2005 19' Bambi CCD? (build date 4/04) I found one end under the seat for the dinette near the water pump.

I believe the other end terminates just behind the front fantastic fan - or just about 6 inches in front of the AC.

I have called Airstream and have received a number of different answers.

Please let me know if you have seen these wires... It will save me days of hunting... "

Just found mine after hours and days of hunting! I have a 2006 16' Bambi-Safari built in May of 2005. As you are standing under the Fantastic Fan, facing FORWARD, my wire ends were located about 6" forward from the right front corner of the fan unit under the ceiling liner and about 4" to the right. (I unscrewed the fan housing trim and pulled it off, first.) They are near the furthest forward ceiling light fixture. As the insulation is glued to the roofing, I had to carefully pry loose and work forward and to the right until I found what felt like the end of a wiring coupler. When I found that I got off my stool and cracked open a beer. Had to be it! Went back up and explored further and felt a second end and could feel wiring labels. Then I kept prying the insulation loose and worked further forward. Grabbed a flashlight and prayed I would see a yellow wire and a green wire. Success! I uncoiled the wire, which was caught up in the insulation glue and worked it around the Fantastic Fan housing to the other side, where my solar panel will be mounted.

The factory literature that came with my Bambi has NOTHING specific for the 16' Bambi. ALL of the wiring schematics start with the 19' models. The section dealing with the solar panels told me that the harness ended in the exterior fridge compartment. I spent days looking through all of the wiring runs there and couldn't find it. When I called the factory last year and asked for 16' Bambi wiring schematics I was told that an aftermarket firm sold a manual I could order. You pay $30,000+ for an Airstream product and get that treatment? Amazing. I refused to order it. The result is that my hands are scratched from fiberglass insulation and I spent probably a total of 6 hours looking for the harness ends, but I now know what the pilgrims must have felt when they finally sighted land!!

Hope this helps you in your quest.

Dick
Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #22
JDL
3 Rivet Member

T , Oregon
Ok, Just to close this out.

I finally found the yellow and green wires. The yellow one was as Airstream said - In the roof near the front G4 halogen light nearest the door.

However the Green wire was about 6 inches away. Behind the stringer toward the other side of the trailer. (You would think Airstream would bundle the wires together...?? This is why it was so tough to find them...)

Anyway. Found the wires. Installed the solar panel all is well.

jd
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #23
Retired, "sort of"

2011 23' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Tumajin Send a message via Skype™ to Tumajin
Location of solar factory prewire in 2008 M-19 CCD

I thought I would share my efforts to locate the top end of the factory prewire in my 2008 19' International CCD. After pulling out the inset halogen nearest the door and the centerline and clipping off the razor sharp aluminum tangs, I could run my hand into the opening, raise up the insulation, and low and behold, there is the coil of green/yellow wire from the the bus area below the dinette seat on the curbside. See attached pics. Hope this helps anyone who is on the quest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1332.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	117136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1413.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	117137  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1411.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	117138  
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
On our 1999 34' trailer they were found sitting on top of the curb side fender under the dinette booth seat. I didn't use them since I installed larger panels.