Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
solar power use while towing...

I have a solar panel with solar controller, Sunsei claims you do not have to disconnect the solar system while using the charge line from tow vehicle while towing. However.. Sunforce solar company, warns you to disconnect the solar system while towing using the charge line on the vehicle, or the converter at the campsite for safety reasons. What do all you solar guys do out there? I want to add my 2¢ here, because of the delicate electronics in the solar controller it would seem to me a wise idea to disconnect the solar system from the battery while the other systems are in use, either the vehicle to tow or the converter at the campsite. Appreciate any feedback..
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari25-05 View Post
I have a solar panel with solar controller, Sunsei claims you do not have to disconnect the solar system while using the charge line from tow vehicle while towing. However.. Sunforce solar company, warns you to disconnect the solar system while towing using the charge line on the vehicle, or the converter at the campsite for safety reasons. What do all you solar guys do out there? I want to add my 2¢ here, because of the delicate electronics in the solar controller it would seem to me a wise idea to disconnect the solar system from the battery while the other systems are in use, either the vehicle to tow or the converter at the campsite. Appreciate any feedback..
A good solar system would have a diode on the output.

That would prevent the system from any exterior source of power damage.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I too have the Sunsei ("Solarcharger") and it says, as you say, not to disconnect. Even the most irresponsible company would have to guard against this kind of problem or they would quickly be out of business from warranty claims. It's best to ask because who would think people would be so irresponsible as to put melamine in milk.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The factory solar system on our 06 Bambi is "connected" all the time...however the controller will not allow over charge of the batteries and there is no adverse effect to the solar system while on shore power or through tow vehicle charging.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
I have used by solar system 4-5 years and have never disconnected it when towing or under shore power. I have had no problems whatsoever. This appears consistent with what Andy is saying.