Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
1976 Argosy 26
Phoenix , Arizona
Solar Power requirements for a 2012 23fb

I would like to add a solar system to my 2012 international 23fb. I have seen the kits out there and I have seen the prices on eBay purchasing everything individually. It seems like I can save a little money and build my own system from eBay? I thought I would put a 4 100 watt monochrystalin panels. 30amp + charge controller and 2000 watt inverter charger - sine wave. With appropriate hardware and fuse. 4 6volt 200 ampr batteries Under the bed.My question is does this sound like a good route for my size trailer? I live in Arizona and we like the sun, we would prefer to boondock but don't mind hooking up to a rv park every fifth day or so. also does anyone have suggestions on installers? Is putting brackets that allow me to tilt the panels worth the effort and the price? Should I just work directly with a am solar, renogy, grape solar? any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks airstreamers
Aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
sounds like a good set up. I am looking at the same type of system on a 30 ft.

I think with 4- 200 amp hour batteries 400 watts might be too small.. With a good solar system in Az i bet 2-200 batteries would be fine unless you are needing to be online computing a lot that that might be fine.

just noticed you have a FB,, (that part about putting stuff under the bed shot up a red flag)

My question would be with 400 - 460 watts would a PWM or MPPT controller be better bet.

I was going to get the mounts that allow for panel tilting and may look into series 2 panels then parallel to charge controller for higher voltage.

PS you can't go wrong working with AM Solar and Lew.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
sounds like a good set up. I am looking at the same type of system on a 30 ft.

I think with 4- 200 amp hour batteries 400 watts might be too small.. With a good solar system in Az i bet 2-200 batteries would be fine unless you are needing to be online computing a lot that that might be fine.

just noticed you have a FB,, (that part about putting stuff under the bed shot up a red flag)

My question would be with 400 - 460 watts would a PWM or MPPT controller be better bet.

I was going to get the mounts that allow for panel tilting and may look into series 2 panels then parallel to charge controller for higher voltage.

PS you can't go wrong working with AM Solar and Lew.
You rang???

MPPT for any system 200 watts and above! They make a measurable difference in the charging amperage delivered to your batteries, regardless of what Angry Bob and TriMetric have to say about them. They are DEFINITELY not a waste of money!!!

As with any other technology product, I would stay with the known, proven manufacturers of said equipment. Companies like Victron, Blue Sky and Morningstar readily come to mind.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Phoenix , Arizona
batteries under bed

thanks for the response. looks like the mppt controller is a definite must. as for the warning flags in the placement of the batteries under the bed. is this a bad spot? thanks
Old 05-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Depends on battery type. The only batteries I will put inside a trailer or Interstate coach are lithiums or Lifeline AGMs.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
gota love bob..

the bluesky 3024iL if I remember, is good for using 24v input (2-12v panels parallel) for charging 12 volt batteries. If the need arises, as in shading, and it's better to go series to the controller at 12v, (4-100 watt 12v panels) is the controller able to shift automatically or is it a manual thing.

I got, not installed, bogart rv2030, with 500 amp shunt. would that work or would the IPN be a better solution with bluesky controller/charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
You rang???

MPPT for any system 200 watts and above! They make a measurable difference in the charging amperage delivered to your batteries, regardless of what Angry Bob and TriMetric have to say about them. They are DEFINITELY not a waste of money!!!

As with any other technology product, I would stay with the known, proven manufacturers of said equipment. Companies like Victron, Blue Sky and Morningstar readily come to mind.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use a Trimetric rv2030 with a Morningstar SunSaver 15 amp MPPT controller. Works just fine.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Phoenix , Arizona
Carl thanks I think with the small trailer and plenty already on the roof that my best configuration is 4 x 100w. I really like the look of the bogart products - 2030a looked like it could be of use. Lewster the lifeline agm look like a good fit. I would love to go lithium or lifepo4, I am however concerned about upfront cost. Can anyone out there persuade me otherwise? Also is there a battery capacity and inverter/charger size combo that in conjunction with only 1 Honda 2000i generator I could use ac while boon docking?
Thanks streamers!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
the bluesky 3024iL if I remember, is good for using 24v input (2-12v panels parallel) for charging 12 volt batteries. If the need arises, as in shading, and it's better to go series to the controller at 12v, (4-100 watt 12v panels) is the controller able to shift automatically or is it a manual thing.

I got, not installed, bogart rv2030, with 500 amp shunt. would that work or would the IPN be a better solution with bluesky controller/charger.
The BlueSky MPPT controller is more flexible than a PWM controller because it can take a higher input voltage allowing you to stack panels in series. Of course you must always make sure you don't exceed the specified limits.

The configuration of your panels is determined by the wiring configuration during installation - so yes, it's a manual thing. The IPN Pro remote allows you to integrate a battery monitor. This allows you to have only one remote panel for the solar controller and battery monitor. Aside from that, the IPN and Trimetric battery monitors are essentially the same.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote